The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Faster recycle time - mecablitz 58 AF-2 or the Canon 580EX II????

haring

Which one has shorter recycle time? The mecablitz 58 AF-2 or the Canon 580ex II?
I would like to use the flash for wedding photography.

JMaher

To add another element to your question. I don't own the merc but the best way to add faster recycle time would be to add a small external battery pack. They are readily available on Ebay or Flash Zebra and will quickly recycle the 580II or the older 580 or 550 flash units.

Jim

Just took a quick look at your site. Very nice.

fotografz

Personally, were I you, I'd stick with the Canon 580EX-II ... it offers more systems choices, and virtually every modifier is readily available for it. The off-camera cord for the Canon maintains the red focus assist at the camera, as does the STE-2 ... which is an advantage IMO. The Canon's W/A diffuser covers out to 14mm where the Metz is 18mm.

According to specifications the Metz recycles in up to 5 seconds, where the Canon is up to 6 seconds.

I do not have a Metz 58 AF-2, but do use the Leica version of the Metz 58 AF-1 ... The AF-2 is basically the same flash as the AF-1 with some tweaks (like a new metal fast mount hot shoe design). The claimed recycle for the AF-1 and AF-2 is the same ... 5 seconds. I find that to be an ambitious claim, it seems slower than that when fired full power.

The other thing I do not like about the AF-1 is that the head rotation isn't full 180º left and right ... it is really irritating when shooting a wedding. I'd check if that has been fixed on the AF-2 ... AND ... the head itself is too loose to hold any modifier other than a light one ... even a Lumiquest makes it flop forward all the time ... it needs more secure click points.

In favor of the Metz, it does have a secondary flash to illuminate the eyes when bouncing off a wall behind you

When I shot Canon, and needed fast recycle, I used a little Quantum Turbo C, and it was very, very fast.

Hope this helps,

-Marc

P.S., IF I were shooting Canon and was using an aux. battery for fast recycle, I wouldn't use either Canon or Metz ... I'd use a Quantum TRIO E-TTL bare-bulb unit which produces a far superior quality of light ... and recycles in 1 second! (or 1.5 seconds with the little Turbo C battery). The range of modifiers is mind boggling. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Recycle on a 580II with CP-E4 battery pack is under 1 second at full power. I still would advise getting a 580 mark I as it doesn't feature the hotshoe contact issue that plagues the mkII. The figures in the specs for recycle are with alkaline batteries, full recycle on a 580 with NiMH's is about 2 seconds, maybe a drop less. You can use NiZN batteries and drop that down to one second but the technology isn't as yet mature and I've personally given up using mine due to the issues involved.

580ex on camera, 580II + CP-E4 off camera is my advice and what I use myself for wedding work.

Quantams are expensive, heavy, the battery pack is heavier and impossible to shoot without and you lose hi-sync. Whether that is an issue for you is of course up to you.

fotografz

Recycle on a 580II with CP-E4 battery pack is under 1 second at full power. I still would advise getting a 580 mark I as it doesn't feature the hotshoe contact issue that plagues the mkII. The figures in the specs for recycle are with alkaline batteries, full recycle on a 580 with NiMH's is about 2 seconds, maybe a drop less. You can use NiZN batteries and drop that down to one second but the technology isn't as yet mature and I've personally given up using mine due to the issues involved.

580ex on camera, 580II + CP-E4 off camera is my advice and what I use myself for wedding work.

Quantams are expensive, heavy, the battery pack is heavier and impossible to shoot without and you lose hi-sync. Whether that is an issue for you is of course up to you.
FYI, the Turbo C is only 15 oz Ben, and the newer Quantum TRIO is just slightly larger than a 580EX ... it's not a traditional Q flash. Yes, it is more expensive ... but worth it IMO if you use a battery driven flash because of the bare bulb, parabolic reflector, and all the other modifiers available. Wish they made it for the Sony, and even more I wish I could use one on my S2.

I used to use a Sunpack 120J, but now I can't find the proper TTL modules for my current cameras because the 120J is discontinued. It's a shame. IMO, no regular speed-light produces the quality of light you get with a bare-bulb ... even when using umbrellas.

-Marc