The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500?

haring

I am looking for some quality light for table top photography and lights for weddings.
My questions: Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500? I would like to get the new D1 but they are expensive. Is the light quality of the Compact and the D1 is similar?
Thanks a lot!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I bought a D1 500 Air kit last year as I wanted decent light for the winter months. At that point there was a fair amount of discussion about the flat frosted glass that is on the D1s. I ended up buying the replacement cover which looks like the 300/600 series in order to use a beauty dish and magnum reflector.

My sense from the discussion is that the older units had a bit broader spread which was modified by Profoto reflectors in a specific pattern which everyone liked. It appears that the quality of D1 light is very similar to the 300/600 in color consistency and output other than the slightly more narrow spread with the flat cover.

300/600s have a reputation for great quality and long life...as long as you set the correct voltage on them...US v Europe.

Should serve your purposes well.

Bob