The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many portable choices!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes looking at the D1's also. 2379 for a 2 head pack is on my radar. I can keep the 2 quadra's. My only issue when using them together have to figure out a transmitter/receiver for both. Also hate to buy the Profoto's without the Air involved.

Thought about the Integra Pro's from Hensel as well.

Not sure which direction I should go. Like to have 2 AC units and 2 battery units

So many options here

fotografz

I was thinking of getting these than i could use the head in a Porty 600 pack down the road.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/482380-REG/Hensel_7023512_Pro_Mini_1200AS_Generator.html
I have that Mini 1200 pack Guy. I use it for indoor industrial and corporate stuff. It is really small for a 4 outlet 1200 w/s pack, and so are the heads.

Be aware that the heads with this kit are not the speed versions. Plus, I think if you want to use these Mini heads on a Porty L later you'll have to get a different cord ... I'd check on that because the cords aren't inexpensive. Finally, this pack doesn't come with the Profoto AIR radio like the Porty does ... I'd think you'd want that because of how Phase has integrated it into their system.

The best deal going for battery powered outdoor use is the Hensel porty 1200L kit that comes with a Mini P speed head and then add another head and one longer cord.
You have to punch in Hensel on the B&H site and hunt for it.

-Marc

Dustbak

One thing I can heartily recommend, the quality of the Profoto light. Visibly a notch up compared to Eli. I have never used Hensel so I cannot comment on that.

I know where you are coming from with regard to the transmitters.

When you go for the D1, look for the D1Air Kit. Practically the same price as for 2 heads but you get the nifty overly large bag some tripods, umbrellas but also the Air tranceiver. I sold off the umbrellas, use the tripods though they are not the handiest ones and the jury is still out on the bag. Anyway, the price is good even when you just use the heads and tranceiver. Selling the other stuff makes it just somewhat cheaper.

Today, I decided I will probably go and sell the Quadra's. I use these with 1 head anyway, the too complicated controls and the fact I am stuck with 2 radio systems are major factors.

Guy Mancuso

Yes the D1 looks nice and so do the Hensels. Lots of research to figure it all out. thanks guys these comments help me a lot.

Guy Mancuso

BTW like to keep my eli boxes . Is there a adapter from elinchrom to profoto and also for the hensels. Like to try and keep these in the process

Dustbak

You can buy, Elinchrom to Profoto adapters. Meaning you can use your Elinchrom modifiers on Profoto lights. Adapters can be pretty hard to come by. Supply is not great. I know Adorama still has some. I had to buy 2 from them since the importer over here only could get his hands on 1.

rem

Yes, I'm also looking for a adapter from Elinchrom to Hensel. Anybody nows? I was also looking for the D1 ( they have now a sale offer wit 15% discount), but decided now for the Hensel, because I prefer the metal over the plastic. And if you go for the Hensel Expert D, then you have all three receivers inside (Hensel, Hensel Free Mask and Profoto). No Profoto in the Integras! Marc, the cables from the EH Mini Pro Speed fits the Porty 1200L. Everything is working what the Porty offers on AC Power (650W full/prop/fan). Both from two worlds;-) What speak for you against this?

rem

Marc, you love the Hensel Beautydish. Which model you have? The white or the silver? With the grid?
Thans, rem

Guy Mancuso

You can buy, Elinchrom to Profoto adapters. Meaning you can use your Elinchrom modifiers on Profoto lights. Adapters can be pretty hard to come by. Supply is not great. I know Adorama still has some. I had to buy 2 from them since the importer over here only could get his hands on 1.
Found them on B&H at 139 each. One wonders if it is worth it after the cost of the box itself and the adapter but I do like them. I may get one and sell one box. Like to keep the Octi

Guy Mancuso

My other issue with Hensel is no one rents them here in town and Profoto both rental house carries them. Now with profoto so tied in with Phase and c1 most likely my best option but hard to ignore the Hensels.

Dustbak

I took the Profoto because indeed every rental house in the world has them, they are multi voltage and the resale value is pretty well too (next to the light and built quality).

The D1 might be plastic but it is the kind you could use for tanks too.

The beauty light that I find fantastic are the Mola lights. I went through a lot of trouble getting mine to accept Elinchrom in the best possible way :)

The adapters give you the best of all worlds, Elinchrom has a lot of nice accessories, I like the rotalux boxes (deep Octa 70cm & 100cm), the fiber optic thing, etc.. It also means I don't have to immediately break the bank to get all Profoto modifiers.

But boy, I really love the 150cm Giant! Absolutely amazing fill light. Unobtrusive, omnipresent light that leaves gorgeous highlights. A pity I now lust for the 180cm Giant reflector, ouch! :(

rem

Yes I now plastic is not bad, hust metal for the feel!;-) Which Mola you prefer? I saw some, but they are biiig! The 150 Giant is from Profoto? Elinchrom brings also a Deep indirect 150cm Rotalux, I ordered about 6 month ago. I have also the Deep Octa 100 with a expensive grid, so I have to find the adapter!;-)

Dustbak

I love the Seti but it is big. I use the Demi often. It is not very big and has a nice grid for it. Yes, the 150 is made by Profoto. It is indirect as well, I particularly like the catchlight it creates. Kind of shaped like a Propeller.

I know about the 150 Deep Octa indirect. Have to see it, might get on my list but the 180 Giant reflector probably before that.

rem

Thanks Dustbak. The 150er Elinchrom looks a little bit cheap (and is, about Fr./USD 440.00). They have also the bigger, I think 190cm. He should be more stable. I wiil see. First I need Adapters!;-)
rem

eekimel

Yes I now plastic is not bad, hust metal for the feel!;-) Which Mola you prefer? I saw some, but they are biiig! The 150 Giant is from Profoto? Elinchrom brings also a Deep indirect 150cm Rotalux, I ordered about 6 month ago. I have also the Deep Octa 100 with a expensive grid, so I have to find the adapter!;-)
How do you like the grid on the Deep Octa?

symbolphoto

I own a large portion of the Elinchrom line...

4 x RX600
74" octabank
2 x 39" Deep Octa
3 x 130' reflectors
2 x 8.5 reflectors with grids
10.25 Reflector with grids
Maxilite reflector w/grid
gel kits for 8.5" reflectors
Ranger Speed A/S kit with A and S heads
Skyport Speeds, universal and EL.
RF3000 Ringflash (With Hensel Sunhaze and Standard White Reflector)
Ranger Quadra RX/AS with A & S heads.

I have to say it's really my favorite. Surely, Profotos are built like tanks, and sure rental network is great, but hell, i can buy Elinchrom outright after just a few Profoto rentals. Just too expensive for the difference. Of course this is subjective.

The Quadra's are the best thing i've ever had the chance to use. I've used them in over 50 weddings now and they never disappoint. I typically use it with either the Maxilite or 100DO

(This is a really interesting one, bright sunlight, check out the shadows, not too bad at all.)

rem

Eekimel, till now I used them not so much. In the moment I do a lot of businessportraits and I find for this is the shadow to harsh. But when you really like to play with strong light and shadow then its perfect. I don't know the brand. I can look tomorrow.
rem

Ben Rubinstein

Lovely stuff Symbol, Fotografz here also uses a quadra for wedding work.

For this wireless TTL shooter can you share how much set up/metering time shots like this take or are you eyeballing exposure from experience? With my wireless TTL I can dial in an off camera with on camera fill at any ratio desired within about a second and shoot even if I change the angles, distance to subject, etc, it all adjusts automatically. Problem is the Canon system at least sucks nastily for shooting this kind of lighting. It cannot work out that you're trying to light only the subject and not the sky you've darkened and just gives up. I've realised that I will need to learn fast setup manual strobe work when doing 'kill ambient' lighting as there is practically no time for shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot at weddings as you know.

symbolphoto

Hey Ben, i can't speak for Fotografz, but my time is fast paced as you mentioned, so i dont have a lot of time to 'chimp'. I've now gotten to the point that i get within one shot of where i usually want to be. So technically since i'm not using a lightmeter that may be considered 'chimping', but like i said, 99% of the time, i'm within one shot of being where i want to be. So it doesn't take long to take a second shot.

I've never used TTL, so i can't speak to that, but Canon is easy.... set to 160th and just adjust the aperture and light output. MF with leaf lenses are more difficult in my eyes because you have 2 dimensions of adjustment.

eekimel

Eekimel, till now I used them not so much. In the moment I do a lot of businessportraits and I find for this is the shadow to harsh. But when you really like to play with strong light and shadow then its perfect. I don't know the brand. I can look tomorrow.
rem
Thanks, I 've seen a couple vendors. I think I'll skip them based on your shadow thoughts.