The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many portable choices!

johnnygoesdigital

I've read comments that some photographers don't like the way Elinchrom heads and modifiers attach. I've also read that Profoto's are not very useful in wetter conditions, not to mention that on the smaller units you only have one light option. I need portable light for use outdoors with 600 to 1200 W/s, with good options for light modifying. Is there any issue with the quality of light, when comparing these units? I rather not go more than 15 lbs w/ battery, for the ease of backpacking in remote areas, but it would be great if I could use this as a studio generator too. The only unit that seems to fit these requirements is the Hensel L600/1200. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

faneuil

Just got my eli ranger rx as--- wow. Stunning light and power (1100w/s)
Also have a quadra (400w/s) for lighter kit.

very happy with elinchrom quality and price.
for some reason the ranger line seem to be on sale (I imagina a new model is about to come out)

Eric

Giorgio

Hensel is wonderful!

Elinchrom is very good and costs a little less!

Broncolor is the best and costs a little more!

Profoto is bulletproof and does what is asked of it every time, no excuses.

When considering the choices it's best to use the gear first, then consider the quality of the light and the flexibility of the system.

Weight and portability, are an issue for some shooters but you could argue that all of the above systems address this in various models both pack and mono lights etc.

It's all good choose one or more and go make pictures!

johnnygoesdigital

Thanks for the replies, I have had the chance to shoot with Hensel. I love the quality of the light, but hate the range of the strobe wizard! It's weight is also light enough to carry anywhere and the mini 1200 p head is amazingly light.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Just saw this: http://www.priolite.com/en/home.html

Very interesting. Monolight with relatively short flash duration and powered by built-in lithium battery.

Priolite MB500; ~$1,100.
Having extensively looking into Priolites since Photokina, here's my findings FWIW:

There's very little feedback on these, but several concerns. Communication and distribution since Photokina is scarce and the fact that it's a new company out of nowhere (owner and engineer not in his prime) doesn't help building confidence.

Neither does the build quality which doesn't look "german made" as advertised, at least certainly not up to Profoto/Broncolor/MultiBlitz/Hensel's (or the Swiss made Ely range) standards.

Reliability and service is paramount for such portable integrated units.

LEDs seem pretty much useless, 400/1600 clicks optimistic.

The only two non-sponsored photogs i could find who actually tested the monos (and shared their impressions) returned them after the trial period.

The price in Europe has increased just after introduction and is around 1100 EUR incl. taxes as of today. So "~$1,100" seems pretty low considering the exchange rate (or they definitely don't come from Europe).

In the end, as much as i wanted them to look good, the questions around the product combined with the quick, steep price increase kept me from buying. For now i'll stay with the usual suspects and simply wait till they come up with some comparable technology.

fotografz

Thanks for the replies, I have had the chance to shoot with Hensel. I love the quality of the light, but hate the range of the strobe wizard! It's weight is also light enough to carry anywhere and the mini 1200 p head is amazingly light.
The Hensel Porty 600/1200L has three different radio systems built in ... one is Profoto AIR ... and Hensel even officially offers the multi-function transceiver. It's on the B&H site. Bad news is that it's optional, and runs $360.

The Profoto AIR has 1,000' distance and also allows control of the lighting from the camera like the Strobe Wizard. Problem solved.

-Marc

johnnygoesdigital

The Hensel Porty 600/1200L has three different radio systems built in ... one is Profoto AIR ... and Hensel even officially offers the multi-function transceiver. It's on the B&H site. Bad news is that it's optional, and runs $360.

The Profoto AIR has 1,000' distance and also allows control of the lighting from the camera like the Strobe Wizard. Problem solved.

-Marc
Marc,

I agree, the Profoto Air has great reception! I'm surprised the Strobe Wizard doesn't put out as much, but at least with these options it easy to go with Hensel. Actually, I've ordered the L1200, but when I talked to one of the Hensel rep's, he stated that they would be available towards the middle of this month, which I guess is soon.

kdphotography

Having extensively looking into Priolites since Photokina, here's my findings FWIW:

There's very little feedback on these, but several concerns. Communication and distribution since Photokina is scarce and the fact that it's a new company out of nowhere (owner and engineer not in his prime) doesn't help building confidence.

Neither does the build quality which doesn't look "german made" as advertised, at least certainly not up to Profoto/Broncolor/MultiBlitz/Hensel's (or the Swiss made Ely range) standards.

Reliability and service is paramount for such portable integrated units.

LEDs seem pretty much useless, 400/1600 clicks optimistic.

The only two non-sponsored photogs i could find who actually tested the monos (and shared their impressions) returned them after the trial period.

The price in Europe has increased just after introduction and is around 1100 EUR incl. taxes as of today. So "~$1,100" seems pretty low considering the exchange rate (or they definitely don't come from Europe).

In the end, as much as i wanted them to look good, the questions around the product combined with the quick, steep price increase kept me from buying. For now i'll stay with the usual suspects and simply wait till they come up with some comparable technology.
Well that's disappointing. Photographer's returning the lights doesn't sound good...

I still think the Hensel L1200 makes for a great portable kit.

Ben Rubinstein

The new mini power pack for the Alien Bees system coupled with the low low prices, light weight and general toss about ability of their lights does make them an interesting new option on the block, you can fit two B1600's and a battery pack including cables in a kids backpack..

eekimel

The new mini power pack for the Alien Bees system coupled with the low low prices, light weight and general toss about ability of their lights does make them an interesting new option on the block, you can fit two B1600's and a battery pack including cables in a kids backpack..
I agree. it's amazing how light the Mini Lithium is.

kdphotography

This is close to what I did for a kit until I can swing the Hensel L1200.

Mini Vagabond Lithium with two Einstein monolights. Coupled with the cybersync cst and csxcv, wireless flash sync at 1/1600. Some minor oddities, but better quality than the alien bee monos.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Ken, yes looking into Priolite was a bit disappointing. New company new products, maybe in time they'll look more reassuring. Concept is great.

Can you be kind enough to elaborate on the "minor oddities" you ran into with the AB?

Sure looks like an cheap alternative (and light) alternative to the Hensel's -and some of the concerns about Priolite ring true with Hensel, too, especially re availability, clear information and possibly service. But that's for another thread i guess :)

kdphotography

Corlan,

I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" but in most respects, the Einsteins's (and alien bees) give a lot of bang for the buck.

Einstein reflector is better quality than the ab reflector. Heavier metal, but still flimsy modifier clamp system based on the old balcar mount. It works, but there is some play when the reflector is attached. Many modifiers available. Cybersync transmitter just feels cheap, poorly made and was difficult to put on the Phase DF hotshoe, until I put it on "in reverse" but it works well with the small csxcv that drops into the Einstein. You do need to take care not to damage the pins on the csxcv when transporting. Most importantly, it works. I can install the CST "the right way" on my Canon. I had no problems acheiving 1/1600 flash sync with a Phase DF, Schneider 110mm LS, and P65+. There is no doubt that the Einstein monolight is a much better light than the AB line.
The Vagabond MiniLithium is not much larger than a Quantum Turbo battery, and very lightweight.

I'd much prefer the Hensel, but I drank the kool-aid and committed to the IQ180 upgrade. I've already spent way too much money this year and need to be more concerned with sending my own kids to college instead of Dave Gallagher's kids to college. :ROTFL:

I hate to put it this way, but the Einstein alternative is almost a "disposable" lighting system should it get damaged in transit. Should anything happen to an AB, you wouldn't cry. But I just might shed a tear if I damaged a Hensel speed head...

Einstein ~US$500; weighs about 4 1/2 lbs
Vagabond MiniLithium ~US$240; weighs about 3.5 lbs
CST transmitter ~US$60
CSXCV Einstein receiver ~US$30

dseelig

You can also use the mini lithuim with a elinchrom 600 rx as well. about a 3.5 second recycle time at full power with no model light on.

fotografz

You can also use the mini lithuim with a elinchrom 600 rx as well. about a 3.5 second recycle time at full power with no model light on.
The AB Mini Lithium does sound interesting. Are the EL 600s digitally controlled or analog? AB's literature seems to indicate a possible issue with digitally controlled mono's, and clearly states that they do not guarantee compatibility with heads other than their own. I can't determine if that's just hype to sell their heads or not.

I have a couple of older style Profoto 600 Compacts with analog controls that these would be perfect for taking on location, but when I move to AIR monos eventually, I'd like to know if these would still work?

I do like that they clip on the light stand so can be used to further stabilize the rig by clipping them low toward the base ... anything helps. Also, pretty nifty mobile solution for using an assistant carried Beauty Dish on a stick, which I do a lot.

3.5 sec recycle seems okay, but kinda slow for outdoor portrait/fashion work.

-Marc

fotografz

Corlan,

I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" but in most respects, the Einsteins's (and alien bees) give a lot of bang for the buck.

Einstein reflector is better quality than the ab reflector. Heavier metal, but still flimsy modifier clamp system based on the old balcar mount. It works, but there is some play when the reflector is attached. Many modifiers available. Cybersync transmitter just feels cheap, poorly made and was difficult to put on the Phase DF hotshoe, until I put it on "in reverse" but it works well with the small csxcv that drops into the Einstein. You do need to take care not to damage the pins on the csxcv when transporting. Most importantly, it works. I can install the CST "the right way" on my Canon. I had no problems acheiving 1/1600 flash sync with a Phase DF, Schneider 110mm LS, and P65+. There is no doubt that the Einstein monolight is a much better light than the AB line.
The Vagabond MiniLithium is not much larger than a Quantum Turbo battery, and very lightweight.

I'd much prefer the Hensel, but I drank the kool-aid and committed to the IQ180 upgrade. I've already spent way too much money this year and need to be more concerned with sending my own kids to college instead of Dave Gallagher's kids to college. :ROTFL:

I hate to put it this way, but the Einstein alternative is almost a "disposable" lighting system should it get damaged in transit. Should anything happen to an AB, you wouldn't cry. But I just might shed a tear if I damaged a Hensel speed head...

Einstein ~US$500; weighs about 4 1/2 lbs
Vagabond MiniLithium ~US$240; weighs about 3.5 lbs
CST transmitter ~US$60
CSXCV Einstein receiver ~US$30
Yep, these camera systems are most certainly sucking up all the cash ... if we had half a brain, and stopped thinking with our trigger finger, we'd realize, the lighting is way more important than more megapixels.

However, I guess it depends on what you're shooting and how much of it you do with lights ... and importantly, whether you use an assistant(s) or primarily work solo. If you don't shoot a lot with lights, I'd seriously suggest renting. For example, an $11,000. Profoto 8A-2400 w/s with high-speed sync and lightening fast recycle cost about $95. to rent, and 2 Pro 7 heads are $40. :)

Decades of studio and location work kinda sorts out the men from the boys in terms of lighting. What holds up and what doesn't, what causes problems rather than solving problems, how flexible one is compared to the other, how available are rentals, and how well one can think ahead so you don't have to change systems later at a hefty loss.

If I had the cash (and hadn't thought with my trigger finger so much :rolleyes:), my ideal system would be Profoto AIR generators and monos in studio, and Hensel 1200L(s) for location (which also uses the AIR triggers).

I once was all Elinchrom and hated the mount ... trust me, the mount system can become the most important part of a system when in actual use. That the Einstein mount is even a little questionable (Balcor, really?), would take it off my shopping list immediately ... bag for the buck or not. (sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve of mine).

I've not had a single issue with Profoto's mount system, followed closely by Hensel's "industrial" duty mounts. I'd have no qualms mounting a Mola 43" Mantti beauty dish or 7' Plume on either ... can't say the same for other makes.

My philosophy about shipping ability differs a bit ... I'd shed huge tears if any of these were damaged in transit ... since there was a reason I was shipping them the first place ;) If you haven't actually held a Hensel Mini head in hand, try it, they are squat little tanks ... very tough little suckers. But again, like most, I'd rent not ship ... rentals are often not much more then the cost of shipping this stuff insured , especially with stands and all that junk.

-Marc