The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D1 Thoughts

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well i made a switch from my Elinchroms and bought 3 D1 500 watt lights to replace them. I have yet to REALLY shoot with them yet and I am still figuring out groups and i will which i did not do yet was have 2 lights on the same time but I would imagine one would just go automatically into Group A the other Group B. Am i assuming that is correct.

I did try my flash synch up to 1/1600 and at full power I can get up to 1/1200 without any light loss and at 1/1600 maybe a 1/2 loss. Which is amazing

Just wondering if anyone had any tips /tricks they could share with me as i get used to them. Love the air remote and very excited about these.

Also I bought a kit and the bag is not bad but I'm looking for something in a roller that would handle all 3 lights, stands and softboxes. I want it all in one case. Been looking around but maybe someone found the perfect case and i sure would like to know what that is but I want a roller.

Dustbak

:) Let me know when you have found that bag! I now use my Elinchrom softbags which carries 2 lights each. I find that a really good bag, it has not too much padding and stores the lights, modifier, cables and some small stuff. No roller though.

I use the D1's and have placed them in group A towards D (I have 4). I like the AIR system but still think it is somewhat funky. I have one transceiver that acts up a bit apparently so that might be the culprit.

What I did notice is that the 500watt from the D1 seems to be more light than the 600watts from my Elinchrom 600RX. I wonder if you will have the same experience.

Besides that I find them pretty much the same as my 600RX's in usage, light output quality is much nicer IMO. They also beep softer (which is nice if you like the beep but not too loud. I know, all the silly small stuff that keeps you busy). I like the ability to turn them off with the AIR module and on but it does seem that the fans in the blocks keep spinning. The big test was the RTFM test. Anything I can unpack and start using immediately without having to revert to a manual passes a very important test for me.

All in all, I have used the Acute heads more often sofar. When my on-location season starts I will use the D1's more often. Which is when the real test begins :)

tetrode

Well i made a switch from my Elinchroms and bought 3 D1 500 watt lights to replace them. I have yet to REALLY shoot with them yet and I am still figuring out groups and i will which i did not do yet was have 2 lights on the same time but I would imagine one would just go automatically into Group A the other Group B. Am i assuming that is correct.

I did try my flash synch up to 1/1600 and at full power I can get up to 1/1200 without any light loss and at 1/1600 maybe a 1/2 loss. Which is amazing

Just wondering if anyone had any tips /tricks they could share with me as i get used to them. Love the air remote and very excited about these.

Also I bought a kit and the bag is not bad but I'm looking for something in a roller that would handle all 3 lights, stands and softboxes. I want it all in one case. Been looking around but maybe someone found the perfect case and i sure would like to know what that is but I want a roller.
Guy, did you discuss in another thread your rationale for switching from Elinchrom to the Profoto D1s? As an Elinchrom user, I'd be *very* interested to know. Profoto has taken a fair amount of abuse over the recessed flashtube design of the D1 and I was wondering if you had considered and discarded that design flaw/feature when deciding to make the move. I think they'd have been wise to retain the Compact head design. Did you also get the OPTIONAL frosted dome for using the D1s in a softbox?

Enjoy the D1s. I was sorely tempted myself but that darned recessed flashtube ...

Dave F.

Dustbak

I was all Elinchrom as well (RX generators, Style RX600's, Ranger AS & Quadra's), did fear the same thing with the flat opal glass on the D1. It turned out to be much less of a problem than I anticipated. Nevertheless, I will order some of the frosted domes. If only to compare. Apparently with the frosted domes the D1 behaves the same as the Compacts.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nevertheless, I will order some of the frosted domes. If only to compare. Apparently with the frosted domes the D1 behaves the same as the Compacts.
I have D1 Air 500s with the additional domes...help for certain modifiers...like the Beauty Dish. The domes were designed to mimic the light output patter of the older Compacts...keep the folks happy. They are a little fussy to install but after you get the hang of it ... 2 minutes max...and that includes opening the boxes etc.

Otherwise with and without ... just gorgeous light.

Bob

tetrode

Bob, do you have any idea how much light the domes absorb? When I was considering the D1s, I worried that the domes might steal a full stop of light turning the 500Ws monolights into, effectively, 250Ws monolights.

Dave F.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave,

I am sorry but I do not know the answer to your question...however as both the flat cover and the dome are similarly frosted I think the loss is not greatly significant. Just from the exposures I have done ... not A/B measurements.

I did a search with Google and on Profoto's site without success. The product number I have is Profoto 101561....

I cannot say anything bad about the design or implementation of the system...other than an occasional difficulty making the D1 Air remote work on a hotshoe...I needed to use a sync cable previously with my H3D II. Not a big deal when you have the correct cable. I have not trialled it yet on my Leica S2-P but assume it will work with one or the other.

I do like the "zoom" function of the heads...you can adjust the depth of insertion into the light modifier to change shape and output of light.

Again, two 500s seem adequate...but I will probably add a 1000 at some point to cover more possible setups.

Sorry that I am not able to specifically address your inquiry.

Bob

tetrode

Dave,

I am sorry but I do not know the answer to your question...however as both the flat cover and the dome are similarly frosted I think the loss is not greatly significant. Just from the exposures I have done ... not A/B measurements.

I did a search with Google and on Profoto's site without success. The product number I have is Profoto 101561....

I cannot say anything bad about the design or implementation of the system...other than an occasional difficulty making the D1 Air remote work on a hotshoe...I needed to use a sync cable previously with my H3D II. Not a big deal when you have the correct cable. I have not trialled it yet on my Leica S2-P but assume it will work with one or the other.

I do like the "zoom" function of the heads...you can adjust the depth of insertion into the light modifier to change shape and output of light.

Again, two 500s seem adequate...but I will probably add a 1000 at some point to cover more possible setups.

Sorry that I am not able to specifically address your inquiry.

Bob
Thanks much for the reply, Bob. An entry on the Profoto blog reports a 6/10-stop light loss when using the frosted dome with the D1. That's certainly not insignificant. However, judging by the photos accompanying the article, it would appear that the dome really should be used with softboxes and, perhaps, beauty dishes:

http://blog.profoto-usa.com/?p=1642

Without the dome in place, the central "hot zone" is very apparent.

I dunno; the D1s do seem like an attractive option but the need to spend an additional $150 per dome to allow the lights to perform optimally in commonly used modifiers remains a difficult psychological hurdle for me to overcome.

Dave F.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I looked these over a while back and decided against. I use Elinchrom pack and head lights, the rx1200s and prefer that style over the monos.
The Profoto series 8 packs look very nice but very pricy and really I have been very happy with the elinchroms.
With the D1s I didn't like their looks or their build quality or the optional domey thing which you need for basic good light spread with a number of modifiers. The annoying elinchrom fitting is only sort of annoying and granted it can be improved and the profoto system for fixing modifiers is nicer, but the best value by far remained what I have,
-bob

dseelig

It seems a bit of one does one thing better then the other . Shorter flash duration with the elinchrom and a more compact body for the elicnhrom 600 rx vs the d1 but faster recycle and most seem to agree better quality of light with the profoto. One other thing I like about the 600 is the shorter body. I have the rx 1200 pack and a 2400 digital 11[ pack and two rx 600 for my more compact unit. I do dream of the profoto 2400 air. but I wish the body of the profoto was shorter. I guess I will stay where I am. But both beat the hell out of my old balcars.
Guy get the think tank roller for lights it will solve your problems.

Ben Rubinstein

Are there any other Profoto quality of light options giving 1000 w/s in a two head setup other than the D1's at a similar or cheaper price point?

Dustbak

You could look at an Acute2 1200 which can be bought fairly cheap. These are not fast but certainly do have Profoto quality of light. These are probably your cheapest options. Another possibility is to look for the model preceding the D1's, the Compact, which also sells pretty cheap.

Guy Mancuso

From what I am told the D1 will work with enough coverage in the medium size softboxes like 3x4 it should cover just fine . For the larger stuff maybe the dome would spread the light out more. Lots of things I like about them really fast sync speeds with my DF body at full power I can go up to 1/1200 of a second without any light loss using the air remote which also is very nice and has lots of control with them . I do like the mount much better and also I do like the modeling and flash tube are protected from getting sheared off . One nice thing is no big cover need as well which takes up room. Just a small cap and your having less stuff in the bag.

Love the controls on the head and do like the mounting to stands. Still need to get more use from them but so far I really like them. The big issue for me as well is I can rent Profoto from 2 places in town and also around the world. So if I need to light a big set than everything i own blends with everything I rent. So for me have a nice basic 3 light kit than when called upon rent everything else. Than all the remotes work together and such. The light also looks very nice which is a huge plus.

fotografz

Are there any other Profoto quality of light options giving 1000 w/s in a two head setup other than the D1's at a similar or cheaper price point?
I use a pair of Profoto 600R Compacts Ben. Standard Pocket Wizard triggering ... but in studio I have just hardwired one of them and use the optical trigger on the other if I need a higher sync speed than the PW provides.

-Marc

fotografz

Guy, do keep us up to date with your experiences. :thumbup:

I've held back on moving to the D1 system with AIR for the time being. No burning need. However, it is probably going to happen eventually since I have a ton of Profoto mount modifiers ... so your take on it will be invaluable.

Thanks,

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Marc . Just ordered this HUGE Tamrac case and hopefully soon get out and bang on these some. Like you my idea is all those modifiers i can rent so easily here in town as two places rent Profoto so my resources using them grew a lot over the Elinchroms which nobody rents here

Guy Mancuso

Thought I would update at least the bag. Took a chance and bought one of these
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tamrac+lightspeed+4&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Huge lighting case I can fit all three D1 heads and cables , 2 speedrings , 2 softboxes , 3 light stands , one gitzo tripod, gels , firewire and duct tape plus remote. So basically the whole shooting match its big and its heavy but I like it. Its all in one bag and on skate rollers. So I can roll that and just a camera bag instead of three bags . One nice part is I go through a lot of security at companies and its a easy lift the lid and softboxes and stands and clearly see what is inside. I can't tell you how much hassle that is sometimes

I did the Touareg test and i can lift it in. LOL Biggest hurdle right there

Guy Mancuso

Okay its upside down and can't seem to fix it. Okay everyone stand on your head.

Jack have you paid the bills. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Dustbak

I have recently bought the glass domes for the D1's. I must say, for some modifiers these domes are a necessity.

The 5ft Giant (and the other Giants I suppose) perform much better with the dome attached.

Initially I thought leaving on the dome but with the dome I need to put a cover on the light. The standard covers make the light so long it will no longer fit in my nice case :( I have to find something to solve that thing.

S

Shelby Lewis

Any more experience with these that you all would like to share?

I'm thinking of picking up one or two monos in a few weeks and am struggling between the elinchrom and D1 units. I like the D1 better, but still am on the fence. I think the 500's would be sufficient for me, but the 1000s would be really nice.

Do the D1 monos accept any other manufacturer's modifiers?

I know nothing about profoto, but I'm about to sell off my remaining 35mm stuff (I think) to finance an RZ and some monos... I want good lights this time.