The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Use of Vagabond Mini Lithium w/Profoto?

fotografz

Hmmm, do NOT like any jinky mount or radio trigger at all, even if it just a rumored one ... been there, done that.

There HAS to be an alternative power source to use with the Profoto Compacts, I just need to find it.

Actually, because I already have a couple of Elinchrom Quadras, the only real need I have for a battery powered unit is an occasional situation where I have to shoot at a distance, or need to over-power the sun while using a MFD kit stopped down. I'd like to power my Profoto 1200 w/s Compacts for that sort of duty. Otherwise the Quadra has been just fine (except for the questionable mount, which has been okay as long as the modifier is smallish, or is an umbrella using a separate HD umbrella clamp ... the new Westcott 7' parabolics are very good modifiers and only cost $99!)

-Marc

S

Shelby Lewis

Innovatronix has has a smaller Tronix explorer these days, the Mini... inexpensive ($349) and supposedly quite good. It's not lithium and not as small as the VML, but it's supposedly quite good: http://www.innovatronix.com/explorermini.asp

Here's the compatibility chart (the compacts are supported): http://www.innovatronix.com/compatib.asp There is a youtube vid on that page that will give you an exact idea of it's size.

Check this out for a few more ideas... although all will be more bulky than the VML.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/profotousa/discuss/72157605724231077/

I've thought seriously about the little honda generator (about $800 on the used, ebay market). I don't like that it's fossil fuel powered, but it is quiet and can be repurposed easily. I owned the original vagabond with my old AB's and found it fantastic, if not a bit heavy. It's not bad though (right...). For a few years I could be seen walking around middle tennessee shooting HS seniors... vagabond on one shoulder, AB400 on the other (on a light stand), camera in hand. :ROTFL:

This works as well, but not cheap: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302315-REG/Dynalite_XP1100_XP1100_Power_Inverter.html

Kirk Candlish

..most manufacturers of digitally controlled studio flash units failed to anticipate operation with current limited inverters, and designed the microprocessor power supplies to shut down at about 85VAC input.
This line is good for a laugh.

The engineers at Profoto didn't design their lights to be used with cheap inverters that can't deliver sufficient current. Why would they want to ?

I carry the original 300 and 600 compacts and a couple of D1 500 airs. They work great off the Dynalite system and/or a 2KW Honda generator that is designed to run electronic gear.

Yeah they are larger and heavier that you might like, but you get the same quality light you get in the studio and don't risk your lights being fried.

I'll probably buy the Tronix Mini just to see what it'll do. I don't need 200 full power pops on every shoot so it may be a good option for a quick setup.

fotografz

Thanks Shelby,

Those are all decent solutions that I've looked at.

As far as an inverter is concerned, I'd go with the newer Profoto BatPac that's a bit more $ than the Dynalite, but puts out a lot more power. It'll drive four 1,000w/s flashes or a 2400 w/s Acute generator. According to one Pro photographer's review on B&H, contrary to rumors, it WILL run the older Compacts ... and he uses it to drive 1200R Compacts.

Still looking.

-Marc

Kirk Candlish

The Dynalite will recycle faster then the bat pac with a couple of 600 watt monoheads then the bat pac. David
That's been my experience too.

Unfortunately PF outsourced the BatPac. It's performance is disappointing, particularly since it carries a PF price.

fotografz

Man, you guys are worth your weight in Gold. Great input ... ya just can't beat real world experience!!!

Thanks.

-Marc

dseelig

It pointed out what I found about the bat pac and yes he is not the best reviewer but everyone else I know who has tested these batteries I know has found the same results.

Kirk Candlish

It pointed out what I found about the bat pac and yes he is not the best reviewer but everyone else I know who has tested these batteries I know has found the same results.
My point is only to be aware when a reviewer is objective or historically has not been.

Your comment is not clear to me. When you say, "these batteries" are you referring to all of the above, or just the PF bat pac ?

dseelig

All of the batteries yes the mini lith is slower but great amount of juice the vagabond 11 is faster but not as fast as dynalite or the new mini from innovotrnix . The bat pac seems to be fast but if only one mono head. Just because a reviewer might like a brand does not color a test. when there are timing issues like with this no way can Rob lie about it to make an advertiser happy. Screw up an auto focus test yes but not his kind of test.

fotografz

Good discussion all around.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Profoto opted for a lead based battery in their relatively new Batpac.

It's all something of a quandary ... while it is pretty convenient to use mono-heads if you already have them, they are large and cumbersome compared to the much smaller heads that are usually used with battery generators like the Hensel Porty L, Profoto 600B, Broncolor Mobil A2R (or even my tiny Quadra 400 w/s kits).

I don't agree with that review ... using studio monos isn't the best all-around solution. Lugging around a Compact or D1 with a beauty dish on a mobile painter's pole creates a lot of fulcrum leverage out at the end of the stick ... a solution that I use quite frequently with smaller pack heads. Same for using an over-head boom arm with a softbox or lantern ... the stand & arm would have to be massive to handle a mono + modifier ... (I've also run out of headroom indoors with the bigger monos, and now use a battery pack at some client's homes to avoid tripping their breakers ... which happened to me once when the client turned on their mocrowave :eek:

Sigh, I keep trying to avoid getting the Hensel 1200L and Mini-P heads, but you get what you pay for I guess.

-Marc

kdphotography

....Sigh, I keep trying to avoid getting the Hensel 1200L and Mini-P heads, but you get what you pay for I guess.

-Marc
Totally agree with you about the cumbersome nature to lug around and use studio monolights.

So, I eagerly await your review of the Hensel L1200... :D