The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Profoto Pro-8a Power Packs!

LJL

Interesting test data on the Bowens. (You have to put a hard space between Quadx and testinfo.pdf in the above link to make it work.)

Unfortunately, it is comparing things to the older and much slower Profoto Pro7a, and not the new speed demon Pro 8a, which if you look at the specs listed above, may tell a bit different story. All that aside, it is nice to see some of the new technology advances moving across other lines of lighting gear. For the seemingly longest time, studio lighting was sort of stuck with same old tech in just a newer more costly package.

LJ

B

bracan

Thanks Lj, I miss a space for pdf...
Yes, I agree with you regarding new technologies, but cant agree with a prices...

Braca

LJL

Braca,
Not sure what you mean about not agreeing with prices. In my mind, the Profotos and Brons and even the Hensels and others are expensive in comparison to Bowen or even DynaLite. Not saying the are not good or not worth the price (Profotos may get some of the hardest use and fill many rental shops, so their prices tend to reflect their utility and ruggedness to a point.) What I was referring to is something like the change from the Pro 7a to the Pro 8a in the Profoto line. The incorporation of some of the new tech came with a significant price increase. Not so much in some other lines, like DynaLite or maybe Bowens, but Brons, Hensels, Profotos and even Elinchroms showed a price increase every time they put forth some new tech. That was what I was referring to. I think some of the new features and speeds are great, but some of price increases to get these are not always so cheap.

LJ

fultonpics

two heads is ok--this is primarily for studio guys with budgets so most top shooters want a pack per or and at most two as TMARK said above---quicker response time and why ruin a spec with extra heads. i think profoto is targeting rental houses and the large NYC studios (tokyo, la, etc, etc). there has to big margins in these. the good news for the common guy is 7a's and D4's will start showing up used in a limited quantity and could be an excellent buy if you even need that kind of performance. however with the state of high-end photography today, i bet a lot of studio's will just run their 7a's into the ground.

G

gdwhalen

The 7a's should be run until they stop. Amazing light and great specs.