The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor RFS system with Scoro power packs

studio347

Hi,
Is there someone who is using the broncolor RFS system? Can you guys share the experience?

There seem to be two main equipments for this system.

RFS transmitter_for wireless flash sync.
RFS transceiver_for wireless power pack control from a computer with a software(BronStudio).

Do you guys like the system?

Thanks in advance!

UlfKrentz

Hi,

works well here. We use it with Grafit and Scoro packs. Not sure what you need to know specifically, the RFS transmitter provides different channels to separate user groups, has two additional buttons for overall power up/down, which can be handy if you use several units. Transmitting time has always been fast enough for our style of work, but we usually don´t use faster speeds than 1/250. It does not show any misfires and and the range of distance is OK as well. The best thing about the transmitter is it is really a very tiny unit that easily fits on your hot shoe.

The tranceiver is a remote control and feedback display via an USB connected computer that allowes to control any settings you could do at your pack. Especially with the scoro at lot easier to reach functions that are deep down in the menues of the pack. Now the transceiver is controlled by a piece of software that has not been much updated since its original release with the grafits in the past millennium. And it looks exactly like that: Past millennium. (Anybody of the bron folks reading here? Please adress this!)
Controlling multiple units is difficult, you always only have one window showing only one unit, you can choose your units in tabs, but sometimes a pack looses connection for a moment, it disappears and when it is found again is sorted in the tabs somewhere else.

It is a great system if you have to control a unit that is installed with a rail system at the ceiling of a studio, placed in a separate room / floor or somewhere else where it cannot be reached directly, for anything else it is definitly easier to control a unit straight forward. The software can be downloaded from bron and can be run in a demo mode that shows its functions without transceiver. HTH.

Cheers, Ulf

studio347

Thanks for your detailed reply!
That helps a lot.
For the transmitter, the Bron manual says that it can work up to 1/1500 S shutter speed.
I wonder if it can work with Phase One DF camera(leaf shutter) at 1/1600 or 1/800 S.
Or with Hasselbrad H2 at 1/800S.
I mean... the real world experience... not the paper....

For the transceiver, you are saying that it's not 100 % perfect..
I think that I got it.
Is the connection between a computer and a lighting unit, instant and correct? When you change the numbers through the software, is the change transferred to the power pack immediately?
Thanks again.

UlfKrentz

Regarding fast shutter speeds with strobe, keep in mind your flash duration also has to be extremely fast. Even with short flash duration we experience light loss with a H2 at 1/800. But as stated earlier, we have never been forced to use it.

Transfer and feedback with the transceiver is quite OK, the problems I mentioned don´t need to occur, but with a few packs involved it happened here from time to time.

Cheers, Ulf