The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Took the Plunge!

rem

Marc and Kirk, with 120V is only 300W Modeling Light possible! The 650W is only for 240V. The Modellinglight from the Mini P Heads 12v/60W is about 90W from a normal Lamp.

Hensel does NOT offer any Adapters for ProPhoto Heads. The Part 6115 is a piece from a Rep. Service in the USA and its possible that the Porty or the ProPhot Heads can be damaged. So there is no Warranty from Hensel.

Here also the Originalanswer from Hensel Germany:

Hallo Herr Eisner,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Am Porty im Akkubetrieb werden die EH Pro Mini P Heads mit 12 V/60 W Halogen Saverlampen betrieben.
Diese geben ein Licht von etwa 90 W einer herkömmlichen Lampe ab.

Wird der Netzteileinschub mit dem Porty Lithium verwendet, können bei den EH Pro Mini Heads auch bis
zu 300 W Halogenlampen (120 V) bzw. 650 W Halogenlampen (240 V) verwendet werden. Bedingt durch die
120 V in den USA können keine 650 W Halogenlampen eingesetzt werden. Diese Einschränkung gilt für alle
an 120 V betriebenen Geräte (Pro Mini 1200 AS, Tria, Integra Kompaktblitzgeräte etc.).

Die Firma Hensel bieten keine Adaptionsmöglichkeit für Profoto Heads an unseren Geräten an.

Der Adapter 6115 wird in den USA von einem Repairservice angeboten, wofür wir keinerlei Haftung übernehmen
können, sollte es sich bei Verwendung dieses Adapters zu Schäden an unseren Geräten bzw. an den Profoto Heads
kommen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fotografz

Thank you REM!

I had come to suspect what you now have confirmed about Profoto heads on a Porty, so I already ordered a second Porty head for the 2 port Hensel Porty 1200L kit that only comes with one head.

The need wasn't necessarily for using Profoto heads, it was to implement use of Profoto modifiers with the Porty pack ...of which I have many.

I currently can also use any Elinchrom on any Profoto head because of the Profoto to EL adapter, (like my Rotolux Deep Octa and 7' big EL folding Octa).

As far as I know, no one makes Profoto to Hensel adapter, and I seriously doubt it can be done.

All that I really I want to end up with is a large folding modifier for location work with the Hensel Porty, and will now research that.

Thanks for your research. :thumbs:

-Marc

Kirk Candlish

Shops in NY and LA have been installing Profoto jacks on the top of Porty packs for a few years. It's just cleaner looking to use the adapter and of course it doesn't limit you to just the heads the packs been modified for.
As I posted earlier, adapting Profoto heads to a Porty is a common practice. You can find shops on either coast that will do it without any risk to your heads, the originals or the Profoto.

It only makes sense that Hensel wouldn't want you to use anyone else's head so they tell it you it may damage them.

fotografz

As I posted earlier, adapting Profoto heads to a Porty is a common practice. You can find shops on either coast that will do it without any risk to your heads, the originals or the Profoto.

It only makes sense that Hensel wouldn't want you to use anyone else's head so they tell it you it may damage them.

Hmm, so the adapter is in essence another "extension" cord that adapts at the connection point between a Profoto head cord to a Hensel box connection. Right?

Does anyone just make these and have them in stock, or are they a custom order? Which shops do this?

Thanks,

Marc

Kirk Candlish

Yes it's an adapter with the plug for the pack on one end the jack for the head's cable on the other end.

I know that Flash Clinic in New York has made them. Silvino's Pro Flash RX in Hollywood also makes them.

Who's making the one B&H offers I don't know, maybe their own service department.

I would expect their made to order, but you'd have to call and find out.

rem

No problem Marc! And shure, Kirk, I believe that Hensel would prefer to sell the own heads. What I today saw, they have on her german priclist an option to adapt other heads and write: on request... hm... What I just know, you can put all different heads with the round plug from Hensel into the Porty and the Porty know exactly what head it is, because they have a code in the plug.
rem

Kirk Candlish

What I just know, you can put all different heads with the round plug from Hensel into the Porty and the Porty know exactly what head it is, because they have a code in the plug.
rem
They must have designed the Porty to use configuration depending on which pins are wired in the plug. While it can fire a Profoto Acute/D4 head, it can't fire a Pro 6, 7 or 8 head unless they also have multiple trigger voltages available relative to the pins used.

I have a Balcar battery pack that I can use with my Pro 6 heads, but not Acute heads. It will also fire several other brand heads, but they all have the same trigger voltage.

evgeny

Congratulations, Marc!

Can I use Hensel Freemask technology with Hasselblad H4D-40 camera for models (approx 1.1 frame per second)?
People cannot be completely still between the frames.

Thanks
Evgeny

rem

Evgeny, maybe Marc can say more, I have not yet tried with the H4D, because Hensel say we should set the camera to I think 10 (the fastest) pictures per second. So, maybe it works when the model is absolutely still...
rem

fotografz

Congratulations, Marc!

Can I use Hensel Freemask technology with Hasselblad H4D-40 camera for models (approx 1.1 frame per second)?
People cannot be completely still between the frames.

Thanks
Evgeny
No, you need a high frame rate camera to use Hensel's Free Mask Strobe technology with moving subjects ... Nikon D3 (9 fps) , Sony A77 (12 fps), Canon 1DX (14 fps).

I'm not sure my Sony A900 at 5 fps is even fast enough for this application, probably not.

Here's the info: http://www.linhofstudio.com/home/documents/HenselFREEMASK.pdf

Here's a video showing in action ... it's in German, but just scroll to the end and watch them shoot a squirmy little kid that moves just as he shoots ... LOL!

-Marc