The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good or bad? Elinchrom EL 26186 69" Rotalux Octabox?

haring

Is anybody using the Elinchrom EL 26186 69" Rotalux Octa Softbox? I like that it folds like an umbrella...

It is tow or three times more than a comparable product. Is the light coming from it so much better? I would like to use it with my profoto heads. I would like to use it on location.

Do you like it if you are using it?

Here is the link: Elinchrom EL 26186 69" Rotalux Octa Softbox EL 26186 B&H

fotografz

Are you sure this one folds up like the 39" Rotalux Deep Octa that uses a folding type speed-ring?

I have a Elinchrom 72" Lightbank which opens and folds like a umbrella ... it's a formidable beast, but sure a lot easier to set up than a standard soft-box.

3 or 4 times as much compared to what?

The 60" Profoto Octa is about $940. with Profoto speed-ring.

The Elinchrom 69" Rotalux is about $558 including the Profoto Adapter to use it on your heads (if it needs an EL universal speed-ring, it'll be a $100 or so more, but still less than the Profoto.

Both produce uniform light, and tough build quality, and will last ... something I can't say about a lot of other soft-boxes.

-Marc

fotografz

You are using Profoto lighting and going cheap on the modifiers?

I can't speak to the quality of the EZ boxes, but there was just a post on Photo.net lighting forum where a guy went cheap on an Octa and the thing ripped where you slide in the support rods ... I've had that happen also ... but never with Profoto or Elinchrom boxes.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Even if you bought 3, is it worth the hassle?

-Marc

fotografz

Otto,

Not to confuse things, but if you want portability and fast set-up/tear-down with a large soft light source consider the new Profoto large 65" semi-Parabolic umbrellas with optional diffuser: This allows you to focus the light narrower or broader by sliding the umbrella shaft closer or out further.

Profoto XL Umbrella - White (65" / 165 cm) 100326 B&H Photo

Profoto Front Diffuser for XL Umbrellas 254651 B&H Photo Video

About $600 total with diffuser. No speed-ring necessary. This umbrella is also available in Silver, which @ $675 with diffuser is more expensive, but puts out more light with or without the diffuser, and gives you the option of a more specular light without the diffuser. Either way, Profoto build quality.

Just a thought,

-Marc

BTW, any of these larger modifiers requires a beefy light stand, especially if using a mono-light verses a smaller/lighter pack head ... a taller stand for a soft-box/octa-box because it's pointed downward, and not quite as tall for the umbrella because it is angled upwards.