The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H1 with metz 54 MZ 4I

johnnygoesdigital

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this flash and an SCA 3209 adapter. I'd like to use it off the viewfinder of an H1 for more than just fill. Thanks.

fotografz

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this flash and an SCA 3209 adapter. I'd like to use it off the viewfinder of an H1 for more than just fill. Thanks.
I use a Metz 54 ZM-3 speed-light on an H camera ... same flash I've shot with a H2 ... then H3 ... and now a H4. Also a Metz 75 Potato Masher. I tried to use the Metz TTL transmitter module in the hot-shoe to fire those flashes off-camera and never could get it to work. I think it's a line of site inferred system anyway ... which is all but useless.

IMO, your best bet is to use a radio transmitter on the camera and a receiver hooked up to the Metz 54. ... then you can put it on a stand, or hold in your hand for some directional control. Or if you just want to get it off the prism and hand direct it, any off-camera cord should work to trigger it.

The way I work with the H now is use the Metz in the hot-shoe set to TTL for fill, and use a radio transmitter hooked to the sync port in the H to trigger any number of strobes or speed-lights ... The old SunPak 120 J bare-bulb works great for this off-camera application.

Hope this helps a little.

-Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Thanks Marc,

Those are great ideas. I like the portability of using the Metz W/TTL, as a fill and perhaps getting more juice from it. It's easy to hold the H too, so using the wireless is a great option, i'll try it. Thanks again.

john