The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Octa with Profoto AcuteB 600 Watt/Second Lamphead?

I have seen reviews of following Octas:

1) Elinchrom 39" Rotolux Deep Octa Softbox $314.89
2) Elinchrom27.5" Rotalux Deep Octa $229.99
3) Profoto 2.3' Octa $538.00

Would like to hear your experience with any of this for location lighting.

I would like to use it with Profoto AcuteB 600 Watt/Second Lamphead, which I'm planning to buy.

Thanks.

Subrata

Kirk Candlish

It depends on what you're shooting.

The smaller Rotalux and Profoto are pretty equivalent. Both work well as a beauty light, have removable diffusers if you want more contrast and are relatively stable outside.

The larger Rotalux works well for a full length shot or a small group. It can be a little softer as a beauty light if you work with it close up. It makes a nice wind sock and will gladly fill up and blow over in a light wind if you take the front diffuser off.

If you're talking about the original AcuteB head, there isn't much differnce between it and any other circular tube bare bulb head. The new AcuteB head has the glass cover over the tube and gives you a more diffuse and even light.

Kirk, thanks for your feedback. I will shoot from a single model to small group (family). Then I think larger Rotalux will be a better choice.

Dustbak

I have all three of these. I mostly prefer the 39" from Elinchrom. It is most easy to setup, comes in a handy bag (which can also host one of these small Manfrotto's) and has really nice light. Especially when used with the inner diffusor only.

The Profoto only has a mere nylon bag that has the wrong dimensions, is not study and is awful to setup compared to the Elinchrom.

The material of the Profoto is sturdier though.

The deep Elinchrom has a nice fall-off, much like a dish, different light than the 2 other boxes.

fotografz

The Elinchroms both set-up and rear down much easier than the Profoto for location work ... but the Profoto is small and can be left set-up for transport IF you have a SUV or a hatch-back.

The 27.5 inch Rotolux Deep Octa is very manageable and easy to set-up ... the 39" is a bit harder. Both have proprietary Elinchrom speed-rings that allow their quick-snap-in-rib convenience, so to use either version on a Profoto head you need the EL to Profoto adapter: Elinchrom Profoto Head to Elinchrom Acc. Adapter EL 26333 B&H

Be aware that his EL adapter eliminates the ability to slide the modifier along the body of the Profoto strobe to alter the light throw like you can with the Profoto mount modifiers. The other small advantage of the Profoto mods is that the speed-ring can be changed to work on any strobe head.

I have the Profoto 600B AIR Lith box and Acute B head. The 27.5" Deep Octa works well on this head, but the 39" gets a bit heavy hanging out on the end of that small B head ... (rant) IMO, the Elinchrom mount is one of the worst I've ever used and sucks compared to the Profoto mount when it comes to a securely fastening larger modifiers. The 39" is probably okay on a good light stand, but if you want to use the Acute B on a hand-held light pole (mobile boom arm), I'd recommend the 27.5" Deep Octa. This is how I primarily use the Profoto 600 box ... as a mobile light held by an assistant. So, it depends on your intended use.

Frankly, IF I get the 39" with EL adapter (my buddy has one for his 600B, so I've seen it in action), I'd epoxy the EL/Profoto adapter to the Deep Octa's speed-ring.

Were I you, I'd order both Elinchroms and the EL adapter and try both for set-up and mounting and then send one back.

My 2¢

-Marc

Giorgio

I am using a mix of the Eli lights and Profoto, but the B2 Air Lithium is by far the first light I pack when going on location.

Works great with the Eli 39 deep throat, and the medium or large indirect Octa banks.
It really depends on what you want to light and how you want to do it.

But getting back to your question, yes I prefer to use the B2 over the Eli mono lights or even over the larger Acute generators. 600w/s is usually enough, especially when there is good ambient light to start with.