The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D1 Air & Sekonic Meter

Kirk Candlish

With a sync cord plugged into the meter and the D1. The D1 has a 1/8" mini phono plug jack on the bottom of it.

Sekonic makes an optional radio transmiter/receiver package but they're not Air compatible.

Dustbak

The Sekonic with Air integrated hopefully comes soon... (I am definitely waiting for it)

in the mean time you can either use a sync cord from the meter to the D1 or hook up an Air trigger (put into transmit mode) with your Sekonic.

Kirk Candlish

Yes it's true. You can buy an AIR transmitter at a cost greater than the meter itself to accomplish this task.

Licensing of AIR has so far been limited to Hensel. I expect the fee is going to be a market limiter.

waki

FWIW, I received an email response from Pocket wizard support about the possibility of a module for my L-358 to trigger Profoto AIR units or perhaps a ControlTL unit similar to the PowerST4 for elinchrom RX. The guy basically said the problem is the antenna in the Sekonic meters. They won't work with 2.4Ghz which is what Profoto uses.
No other elaboration so perhaps a new version of the meter will be intro'ed. Who knows? But thats what was passed on to me.

aztwang

I just found a used transceiver...yes it was a bit pricey.....but he'll it's Profoto...get used to it....
Seriously Profoto stuff is pricey but if you sit and wait and check all the sources every day
A used one will pop up sooner or later at a decent price.The sync cable just contradicts the whole " clean air " thing if you know what I mean.

Kirk Candlish

Sekonic is working on adding AIR to their meters.

With Profoto being the most widely rented pro brand of lighting gear in the U.S. they have to become compatible.

rem

I hope it would then the transmitter modul fits in the "old" model and its possible to change the antenna, that should not be a big problem...
rem

Well given that you need an Air trigger of sorts to fire the flash from your camera in the first place, would it not make sense to simply plug that into your light meter whilst your testing?

fotografz

Any one knows how I can fire Profoto D1 Air from Sekonic L-558?

Thanks,

Subrata
No need to cord anything.

Set the meter to standby mode (lightening bolt with the box around it), set the working shutter speed, and press the side button ... then fire the flash anyway you want (just trip the test button on the AIR sender) ... it'll read the light level and provide the aperture.

I'd rather use the AIR transceiver for this anyway, because I can immediately adjust the levels remotely, and take a new reading from the same exact spot without moving ... which a radio triggered PW never could do, and probably never will.

-Marc

fotografz

Does anyone know of the Sekonic L758DR works with my Prophoto D1 Airs?
Vincent, the Sekonic L58DR has a RT-32 Radio Module built-in which is Pocket Wizard based ... not Profoto AIR. There are a few Profoto AIR generators that offer both Pocket Wizard and AIR receivers, but the D1 Monos are not one of them. AIR is superior because it allows remote adjustment of the lights either collectively, in groups, or individually. This is more important for Mono heads because the adjustment controls are on the head, which can be 20' up on a stand, or buried in a soft box.

See my post above as to using the AIR transceiver in conjunction with any Sekonic flash meter. Basically you can use a sync cord from the AIR radio transceiver to the Sekonic meter, which will remotely trigger the lights in groups, or individually, and allow you to adjust each based on the reading by using the controls on the AIR Transciever. Or you can use the setting mentioned in my post above without the sync cord.

The only other difference is that the AIR radio sender isn't built into the meter.

-Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Another advantage of the "AIR" is its range...almost a 1000 feet!
As suggested, set the meter so the mode is set to the just the lightning bolt. Set your lights, and press the meter's trigger. The lightning bolt symbol will flash, while you trigger the lights and take a measurement.The advantage of the corded method allows you to fire the strobes too.

Dustbak

There has been a pretty persistent rumour of Sekonic finally bringing a module for their meters that supports Profoto AIR. Unfortunately this has not happened as of yet :(

J.Look

There is someone in germany who makes a profoto module for the sekonics.
I have one inside my L-758R and it works perfectly with my Profoto Airs.
Here is a link (in german)
The text is about the Elinchrom module but he also made them for Profoto.

Valentin

There is someone in germany who makes a profoto module for the sekonics.
As far as I know, there are different frequencies used in Europe compared to USA. I don't know German so I don't know if it can be done with different frequencies, but something to keep in mind and ask before ordering.

J.Look

As far as I know, there are different frequencies used in Europe compared to USA. I don't know German so I don't know if it can be done with different frequencies, but something to keep in mind and ask before ordering.
Not for the Profoto Air. It is 2.4Ghz everywhere.