The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quality light stands for studio use

I am a longtime location still photographer and recently built a photo studio. I am interested in buying some light stands for use strictly in the studio, not on location. I am hundreds of miles from the nearest photo equipment dealer, so have to buy over the internet. I want BLACK stands with WHEELS, a maximum height of 9' or 10' would be fine. The main light that will be mounted on one of these stands is a Dynalite #4040 studio electronic flash head mounted with a Mola Setti (28") beauty dish reflector. I have a couple of the 40" MSE (Matthews) extension arms with grip heads; I would consider mounting one of these on the new stand (mainly to keep the light stand a bit further from my subjects). Can any of you longtime studio shooters recommend a specific stand/model for this application? The quantity of different stands on the various manufacturer web sites is overwhelming - on the MSE site alone there is too much to choose from, kind of like the grocery store. Thanks! Mark Weidman

Gee, I was disappointed not to get some feedback on this post. I did get some input on other forums. Here is an update with some of my own feedback re. lightstands.

I bought Matthews Aluminum Light/Heavy Triple Riser Kit Stand with Adapter Wheels.* For the price, the B387490 is a decent light stand. *But I found once I installed the Adapter Wheels (#387101) on the stands, once loaded with a light fixture, they become kind of wobbly. *The wheels do not track in a straight line, they really do not attach very cleanly, and they do not have a locking mechanism. The stands themselves were fine until I installed the wheel kits. I also bought a Matthews MALSBJTR Hollywood Baby Jr. Triple Riser Stand. *Though this stand is about $100 more expensive than the B387490 with wheels, it is substantially stronger, the wheels track in a straight line, and they have a locking mechanism. *This steel stand is not black, which was one of the criteria I originally provided, but it is far superior than the aluminum stands. *I am thinking about sending the aluminum stands back in exchange for more steel stands.

fotografz

Matthews steel all the way. Chrome doesn't make any difference.

For non-wheeled stands in studio I use all C stands.

-Marc