The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quadra shortout

dseelig

So one of my heads shorted out during a trip to New Orleans. then Adorama sent me a new head but out of box without telling me and the cord on that was bad. anyone else have this kind of trouble?

Kirk Candlish

What do you mean it 'shorted out' ?

There was a problem with the cable to the head or a problem with the flash tube ?

As popular at the Ranger/Quadra series are you really don't hear about problems with them.

dseelig

I heard a pop and crackle cord had a burnt connector and the connection on th ehead was burnt and would no longer fire. then Adorama sent me a open box wiht out telling me it was and the cord on that one was bad.

Kirk Candlish

Yeah, that sounds like a short at the connector into the head. If you've been using the head for a while and it's been working then maybe the cable got stretched somehow.

I've done business with Adorama for many years. I don't think they'd knowingly ship a defective product. Being from an open box it probably was a return that was mistaken for new.

Stuff happens. If it was a common problem I think you'd be reading about it everywhere.

dseelig

The thing about the Adorama is the box was not form elinchrom but one of adorama. They knew they were sending me an open box item. But charged me new anyway and did not test the item properly.

fotografz

I have 5 Quadra heads and zero issues.

I will say that the benefit of lighter weight comes with a penalty ... a bit more fragile unit all around. The cords and connections on the Quadra are whimpy compared to my Profoto and Hensel battery pack cords/connections ... but those weigh more and take up more space when packing.

Sounds like a mistake on Adorama's part ... if bought as new have them correct the issue without finger pointing.

Stick that finger in their eye if they don't fix the issue.

-Marc