The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using A Flash With M6ttl

ShiroKuro

I would like to use a flash with my M6 ttl off camera held in my hand while shooting ..... Seems the more I search for info on this the more confused I get ...... Simply what is the best set up for this ?

Thanks for the help ..

Charley

Mozbee

I remember some people were using the Nikon SC-17 cable because it "works" physically and electronically. I don't remember if TTL was maintained, maybe manual or auto???

The cable is discontinued, it is replaced by the SC-28. Don't know if the new one fits as much as the old one!

charlesphoto

Hey, sorry I missed your post.

I've had good results with the Leica SF20. Can be used with the Nikon SC17 cord. In the editorial gallery of my site there's a pic of a taxi at night driving parallel. That was with M7 and SF20.

Good luck!

ShiroKuro

Thanks all for your input .....I just picked up a Leica sf 24 D and the Nikon SC-28 cable ...
Works just fine .....

If anyone would care to share any off camera flash techniques using a Leica M I would really appreciate it ...

CharlesPhoto ....Really enjoyed your site ... great images ..... Love the colors in Instanbul, Touch Me I'm Sick....... #11 Edfest,Kitsap.WA..... love this shot .... anyway some great photography ....Angkor Wat .....

robsteve

Subscriber
A note on the M6 TTL is that the flash sync will not work if the batteries go dead in the camera. Unlike the M6 and earlier cameras, the TTL version must have replaced mechanical sync contacts with some sort of electronic circuity.

I found out the hard way when I first got a M6 TTL and was shooting a championship football game in the cold fall weather. By the time the game was over, it was getting dark and the temperature was probably near zero. When I tried using the M6 TTL with a flash for the jubilation shots, the camera batteries were dead and the flash would not fire. I was not worried about the batteries in the camera because I figured the M6 TTL had a mechanical shutter and I would be shooting with a flash anyway. After that incident, I made sure I had spare batteries with me.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
I wonder if there is a way to rig a wireless set-up so you could shoot cordless?
I have done it with a pair of pocket wizards. On the flash unit, you used either a sync cord into the pocket wizard or you get a flash shoe adapter to a cord that fits the pocket wizard.

Robert

harmsr

Workshop Member
Rob,

The pocket wizards should fire it fine in "A" mode, right? However, it can't do TTL if I'm correct?

Ray

kevin

I don't know if it's still available or not, but I used to use one of Lutz Konnerman's "S-FILL's" on an SF-20. It's basically a large diffuse panel of plastic that softens the flash a bit, and it's pretty effective. Not as good as a bounce head, but.... :)