The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

metz 54mz flash series?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea, all I can tell you is it works as advertised on my AFD3/P45+ combo.

My guess is that the TTL flash sensor in the body has a translucent dome over it like an incident meter, and the reflectance of film emulsion and the digital sensor glass are not different enough to be a concern.

FWIW, the set ISO toggles over automatically, the auto head zoom to match mounted lens focal works too (however it only works in the 35mm mode, not the MF mode which is weird) and the wink fill works equally well when combined with the main (direct or bounced) in TTL too...

Ben Rubinstein

The original ETTL implemention on the mz-3 with the SCA 3101 adaptor wasn't actually ETTL at all, it used an external sensor actually in the flash head. You couldn't use any diffusion with it. I assume they dropped it by the time they released the mz-4, by then they had reverse engineered ETTL properly with the 3102 adaptor (you get full modern ETTL with the mz-3 and the new adaptor). Could be that the TTL on the Mamiya is more sophisticated than just film plane reflection.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe they changed something with the newer 3xx2 series adapters...

T

tetsrfun

More Metz questions....Is the Metz mecablitz 54MZ-4 TTL Shoe Mount (non-dedicated) the appropriate unit to use with a SCA-390 adapter? This is for 'blad 503CW and 203FE bodies.

Steve

pesto

Hi Barry:

AFAIK, the only Metz that will work TTL on the Mamiya 645 AFDx is the 54MZ 3 with the 3952 foot.

How about the SCA 3951, I thought that it was the one for Phase/Mamiya 645s'? Please don't tell me that I have once again made a "mis-purchase" for my yet to arrive camera!!!

Last edited:

jjphoto

Don't do it!

I've had 3 54 MZ 3/4's over the years, all used heavilly, and they've all been repaired at various times. Presently they are all dead and will never be repaired again. Good money out for bad IMHO.

JJ

pesto

Fair enough. So what is the solution for an on camera, walk around type flash for Phase cameras?

jjphoto

Fair enough. So what is the solution for an on camera, walk around type flash for Phase cameras?
I really don't know. Maybe they are your only option. I've only ever used them on Leica and Canon bodies, not with your setup. They are actually a very good flash, which I why I had several of them, but I just don't see them lasting very long with anything more than amateur use. The front lens/bezel burns/melts quite soon with regular use of very wide angle lenses. They are not built to the same robustness of Canon and Nikon flashes. That doesn’t help you does it…

JJ