The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bronze statues

cunim

I am trying to light a dark bronze trophy mounted on a wood base. Place trophy on a shooting table lit from below with a D1000. Dominant light is rear left of camera with diffuser in the grid holder, weaker light is right rear of camera with telezoom reflector giving a hard light.

I get lots of specular highlights so tried the crossed polarizers I use with stone. Didn't know if it would work with this metal finish but I am sure it is some kind of chemical treatment so why not? In fact, the specular highlights appear to be cut more than the rest of the surface. However, now the bronze looses detail and it becomes hard to see inscriptions and the like. Any general advice for this type of subject? Diffuse tent?

fotografz

You need larger light sources ... smaller sources like your diffuser in the grid holder remain small even if somewhat diffused, and produce small specular reflections ... like in a portrait where small sources produce a pin spot reflection in the eye even if diffused, rather than a curved window like reflection from a large soft-box close to the subject.

Broad wrap-around light and diffused light are two different things.

If you do not have a soft-box you can simulate a broader source to some degree with large panels of white foam-core and bounce the light into it. Use black foam-core or card stock as flags to keep the light from hitting where you don't want it.

-Marc

cunim

You need larger light sources ... smaller sources like your diffuser in the grid holder remain small even if somewhat diffused, and produce small specular reflections ... like in a portrait where small sources produce a pin spot reflection in the eye even if diffused, rather than a curved window like reflection from a large soft-box close to the subject.

Broad wrap-around light and diffused light are two different things.

If you do not have a soft-box you can simulate a broader source to some degree with large panels of white foam-core and bounce the light into it. Use black foam-core or card stock as flags to keep the light from hitting where you don't want it.

-Marc
Thanks Marc. Great advice. I do have soft boxes and will try them next. Today I moved the shooting table to the big hard box (outside) and that did the trick. As you said, the large source really tamed the speculars.

I shoot a lot of aluminum but this was my first experience with a treated bronzy material. It's a silly thing to take so much care with, but as an exercise it's been useful.

Peter