The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto RFi on EL Quadra

fotografz

FYI: I discovered that the new speed-light, Canon/Nikon speed-ring for Profoto RFi soft-boxes can be used with the Quadra system without needing an EL adapter.

The Quadra head with its standard modifier snaps into place, and because the RFi speed-light ring has a slot allowing off center mounting, the off-center Quadra mount works.

More importantly, it is extremely secure.

See pics below ... a mobile boom arm with 2' X 2' RFI softbox.

-Marc

pophoto

Thank you Marc, I was wondering exactly what you have proved possible! Any potential negatives about this?

Now to order the new Hybrids!

fotografz

No negatives with the set-up shown, but this box is only 2' X 2'.

Not sure how even the distribution of light will be in larger soft-boxes without a pyrex dome jutting into the box like most heads.

However, you can still use the deflector disk with this set-up, so it should help.

-Marc

onaujee

I was able to put a MOLA Beauty dish with my RFI Ca/Nikon speedring, I just had to buy some screws. It was a great deal as the adapters are like $300 for the Ca/Nikon ones....

Kirk Candlish

I was able to put a MOLA Beauty dish with my RFI Ca/Nikon speedring, I just had to buy some screws. It was a great deal as the adapters are like $300 for the Ca/Nikon ones....
A Mola really works best with a head/flashtube that extends a few inches inside it. I wonder how even it would be with a Quadra head ? Seems to me that the center would be hot and the fall off pretty high.

fotografz

A Mola really works best with a head/flashtube that extends a few inches inside it. I wonder how even it would be with a Quadra head ? Seems to me that the center would be hot and the fall off pretty high.
Yes, I also suspect that'd be an issue with the Quadra or using a speed-light in most modifiers designed for studio strobes with domes (depending on size). Perhaps a 22" beauty dishes with reflective center disks would suffer less?

-Marc

pophoto

Marc,

Since you have both: for the money, Elinchrom quadra or Profoto D1 with Paul C Buff Lith-ion battery pack? Do you have both trigger sets, which do you prefer?

Thank you!
Po

fotografz

Marc,

Since you have both: for the money, Elinchrom quadra or Profoto D1 with Paul C Buff Lith-ion battery pack? Do you have both trigger sets, which do you prefer?

Thank you!
Po
Apples and Oranges comparison really.

The Quadra is far more portable, but I never use it in studio. Two Quadra Packs and heads/cords are far easier to transport than two D1 500s and PCB Lithiums. The difference is 800 W/s verses 1000 W/s.

The Quadra is really not all that great if you intend on using large modifiers ... the EL mount isn't my favorite, where the adjustable focus Profoto mount is the most secure out there IMO. IMO, this is a major consideration when building a lighting system.

My Profoto D1s reside in studio, or go on paid location stuff (with assistants) as a supplement in tandem with Profoto packs.

While the D1 does work with the PCB Lithiums with the D1 set to "Bat" mode, the performance isn't the same as when plugged into an AC outlet. So, it depends on how much location work is intended verse studio or interior where AC is available.

The AIR radio system for the Profoto is better than the Skyport of the Elinchrom. Distance is better, and the AIR has a higher top sync speed (I can shoot 1/1000 sync with my S2). Both allow adjustment of lights from the camera position. The Profoto AIR is a bit more robust in build.

Hope this helps ...

-Marc

pophoto

Very helpful. Thank you again Marc!
I may have more questions for you later.

While I can just about about afford both lighting systems, I'd rather have one and budget better. I'm not overly committed right now, I have a Elinchrom Ranger RX AS Speed and the rest are speed lights. I want to start shooting with more lights, which involves both on location and studio, so a bit of a balancing act on my part.

Po