The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto Air USB

aztwang

Looking for some feedback on the Profoto Air USB. Does it work effectively and effeciently?

Thank You

Dustbak

I have one. After the Elinchrom Skyport USB I felt it is really overpriced but hey it is Profoto. What do you expect.

it works though I feel the range is less than that of the transmitters. Unfortunately the Profoto software is real crapware, unbelievable that this is still like this. The software works and more or less does what it is supposed to do but it is no joy working with it. I work a lot from behind the computer and tethered so I use it often.

Kirk Candlish

Unfortunately the Profoto software is real crapware, unbelievable that this is still like this.
Profoto outsourced the app and it's poorly written. I used it at a friend's studio and was really glad I tried it before buying it.

I suspect the cost of updating it exceeds the potential market so it'll likely die a slow death as it becomes outdated.

aztwang

I wonder why Profoto seems to neglect this piece of software that works but is clearly a looser when they continue to promote/incorporate the AIR system, such as in their brand new Pro B4 which is clearly a home run. I use the transceiver but when you have 5 or more lights it is easy to loose tract of exactly which light has which exact setting. I'm no programer but developing new software/utility can not be rocket science and would so "put a cherry on top" of Profotos "Air" system.

Dustbak

I have also used the software of the Elinchrom Skyport system which is lightyears better than that of Profoto. I wish Profoto would take a look at that and give the party that develops their software a kick under the butt and get them to work.

Kirk Candlish

II'm no programer but developing new software/utility can not be rocket science and would so "put a cherry on top" of Profotos "Air" system.
You might be surprised at the cost to develop something like this software.

With the B4 now taking sales away from the Pro8 system and fewer shooters needing the power of their high end systems with high ISO capabilities of modern DSLRs their market has changed.

Witness the new cheaper soft boxes from PF as a clear indicator of where things are going.

RVB

You might be surprised at the cost to develop something like this software.

With the B4 now taking sales away from the Pro8 system and fewer shooters needing the power of their high end systems with high ISO capabilities of modern DSLRs their market has changed.

Witness the new cheaper soft boxes from PF as a clear indicator of where things are going.
I wonder if these changes affect other manufacturer's.. Breise in particular considering it's very high end.