The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor Para 88

aztwang

Broncolor's Para 88 seems like a cool modifier being able to mount as a standard mofifier or back into the modifier from the front with the focusing system.... however is the light that it produces much different from a deep octa or a Profoto 180 giant that can focus as well. It has my interest but the focusing adapter is like over 3K. You can find a million videos on it but have not found much review/banter on it.
Anyone out there have real world experience?

robertwright

I've used briese a lot and if the 88 is anything like the 100cm briese then there are some things it can do that a deep octa can't- which is the focus ability-
moving the head inside the parabola does change the point of clear focus of the max intensity- you can flood and spot this light. Depending on how you use it you can make the light look different very easily- also I'm not aware if there are different diffusions for this- I tend to use it with a very light 1/3 silk on the front so there is a lot of hard/soft to the light.
A profoto 180 will be different because it is so much larger. I am comparing to the briese 180, even tho both focus the size of the umbrella means that it covers a much larger area and so is just softer because of that. (again with a 1/3 silk). The 88 is more of a beauty light whereas the 180 can light a figure head to toe.
If you put a full stop silk on these then they just become more like deep octa or octabank because you get no specularity out of the silver umbrella coming through.
Another thing particularly with the briese hmi is that the bulb is exposed in such a way that you can get a hard ping off of it off axis to the umbrella. So the hard/soft thing whic is how I characterize briese lighting is a little harder still. Like a sunny day with that thin veil of cloud. I don't know with profoto considering the head is so large it would probably block all the direct light coming out of the tube. hope that helps.
I think in hmi the focusing thing is more important since you can't change intensity once you place the light for best position, the focus helps it be more efficient or be more flooded if it is too hard. With strobe you can fudge intensity by dialing the pack up and down at the same location so focus is a third part that generally people don't explore.

Kirk Candlish

You can find a million videos on it but have not found much review/banter on it.
$2300 for the 30" reflector.
$3100 for the focusing adapter
$5600 if you own a broncolor head that mounts to it.

Or spend another $389 for a Profoto adapter.
That's $6K out the door.

$300 Elinchrom 39' Deep Octa
$2150 Profoto D1 500 Air Kit - 2 lights, stands - Air tranceiver, case and umbrellas
$150 Eli-PF adapter
That's $2600 out the door.

Why no banter about the Para ?

Seems self explanatory to me.

fotografz

Kirk, isn't the difference in that you can focus the Para 88? And isn't the Para 88 a real Parabolic shape?

Of course, I guess one can do that a bit with the Profoto mount 39" deep Rotalux octa by sliding it back and forth on the Profoto head.

Here's another one that caught my eye to use with my Hensel lights ... the 76" Terabox Deep Space

http://www.hensel.eu/fileadmin/Doku...orm/400D193/400D193_Terabox_Deep_Space_en.pdf

$1,180 for the box

$180 for the Tilt head Speed-ring

$1,020 for an Expert D 500 mono head (with Profoto AIR radio built in) if you don't already have a light for it like I do

$2,380 for a big para

A friend has one of these, but it simply is too big for my studio ... it really can't be focused like the Para 88 either.

-Marc

aztwang

Kirk FWIW your numbers are off just a bit.i have done some home work since OP. I have shopped price and you can get reflector with focusing rod assy. and Profoto adapter for 3700.00. It is a true parabolic source which you can focus for completley different looks. It's compactness along with multiple diffusers and grid and its unique light quality is what sets it apart from other light shapers....oh and the 3700.00 which is still a bit hard to swallow....LOL. Also I have spoken with a few photogs that have the Para 88 and shoot Bron & Profoto, general consensus is there is not another tool that will give you the In your face, fine detailed specular look that the Para does, including Elincroms indirect octa or deep octa.
Bottom line sounds like a great tool that can pump your creative juices just a bit more, adding another style to your quiver of looks....Is it 3700.00 better than my long list of Profoto light shaping tools...Who knows...It's all subjective at the end of the day.

J.Look

general consensus is there is not another tool that will give you the In your face, fine detailed specular look that the Para does, including Elincroms indirect octa or deep octa.
The only better option is the original, the Briese Focus. The Paras are a copy of the Briese but with the Briese the head is not inside the umbrella. Just the special designed flashbulb. Better than the Para but also more expensive.
I have worked with the Para 88 and I have used Briese a lot (where I just ordered a Focus 77)

Jens

Dustbak

The Briese's are really beautiful, when you get used to the price of the Broncolor you might just be able to swallow the price of the Briese.

i got a quote for an 180 Briese setup and found the price just inside the stratosphere. Reachable but painful...

robertwright

Time for paul buff to make an affordable alternative!
I would not expect the rotalux to be similar, the range of focus is too narrow. You need to be able to slide that puppy all the way front and back. Also it should not be reverse mounted like an octa. The tube needs to face forward but have a small counterlight reflector like the briese has to kill some of the forward spill but not all. Its this combo of hard/soft AND the focus ability that gives the briese the pop it has.

Kirk Candlish

I wasn't suggesting the Elinchrom DO was a direct replacement, am aware of the features of the 88 and don't doubt for a moment that those who've laid out the bucks find the 88 a great light.

I was simply suggesting that the cost difference is the reason you seldom hear 'bantor' about the 88.

Much like Briese, wonderful light, just priced beyond most sane men's grasp. The 2 guys I know in New York who shoot Briese rent. It has something to do with wanting to keep their marriages happy.

And please robert don't suggest that PCB make a knock off, your street cred drops at the mere suggestion.

Kirk Candlish

. I have shopped price and you can get reflector with focusing rod assy. and Profoto adapter for 3700.00.
I was just going by a quick search on B&H.

It's like any other tool in our trade. If you can justify it and see a real return on investment than the cost is just part of an equation.

aztwang

Kirk....very well said!

"It's like any other tool in our trade. If you can justify it and see a real return on investment than the cost is just part of an equation."