The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Continuous Lighting Suggestions

pophoto

Hi!

I'm looking into some continuous lighting solutions which are have output control (dimmable). White continuous is preferred, I probably cannot afford HMI lighting (cost of lamp head and ballast is my gripe and then replacement costs for lamps :p), but if just one head with giant softbox, it will be worth the consideration!

Application will be indoor babies and children photography, where I do not really want to use strobes flashing into their eyes.

Any suggestions welcome, please state pros and cons. Able to use regular Elinchrom or Profoto RFi softboxes a plus, but I am clueless if there will be heat issues involved, I don't really want lighting from fire making babies cry, I don't think that will go down too well :facesmack:

Thanks
Po

richieboone

Have you looked into Kinoflo's? I usually use them for video but have used them for stills.
I have the Divas and the Barflies. You just have to bump the iso or use a slow shutter speed.
Shot this with Barflies:

This was with 2 Kinflo 4 banks

pophoto

Hi Rich,

Yeah KinoFlos and ARRI were first to come to mind, however right now I have the Wescott Skylux LED on preorder:
Westcott - Lighting - Skylux LED

I will give them a try first and see how well they work, I like the idea I can use modifiers with access via Bowens S-type speedring. I also like the size, which is similar to a monolight, but of course as soon as you add a modifier....

Btw, I love the shots!

Thanks
Po

RVB

Have you looked into Kinoflo's? I usually use them for video but have used them for stills.
I have the Divas and the Barflies. You just have to bump the iso or use a slow shutter speed.
Shot this with Barflies:

This was with 2 Kinflo 4 banks
Lovely skintones here Richie,what did you shoot these with?

Rob

richieboone

Hi Rich,

Yeah KinoFlos and ARRI were first to come to mind, however right now I have the Wescott Skylux LED on preorder:
Westcott - Lighting - Skylux LED

I will give them a try first and see how well they work, I like the idea I can use modifiers with access via Bowens S-type speedring. I also like the size, which is similar to a monolight, but of course as soon as you add a modifier....

Btw, I love the shots!

Thanks
Po
Thanks.

Looks interesting enough to try out.
I have used LitePanels 1x1's for video (mostly fill or back light) and I have tried them for stills but the colors just didn't look right to me. Plus the light is very harsh and by the time it is properly diffused there is a lot of light lost to an already not so powerful light source.

pophoto

RVB, about the skin tones, I think this was more true pre D800, I haven't made a direct comparison recently. It was the main reason why I made the switch some years ago, but have recently added Nikon back, mostly to give me options and the color is so much better than before!
The Canon's are to me almost the most balanced system, but it's funny, so everything the Canon doesn't do, the Nikon does, it's like they purposely worked on this in secret! Although I can't imagine every photographer shooting such diverse ways either, at least not that many!

I'm trying to figure this out too. Need to test Profoto and Bron, but also Joker Bug. The Joker has adapters for both Bron and Profoto reflectors, as well as its own! I'll be in LA this week, so will try to stop by Samy's Camera and hopefully they'll have all of them to test. I checked out the Bron (Kobold) 200 at B&H last week and it was tiny and very powerful.

DudeIncredible

There seems to be a wide array of affordable continuous lighting kits in the online stores. Does anyone have any experience with the Genaray brand?