The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vagabond Mini compatibility w/ Hensel Integra 500

J

John Tran

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the monolight and studio light side of things(just been working with speedlights in the past.) I just purchased my first set of Hensel Integra 500 (x3) and now I am looking to get a battery(ies) for them. I scoured the internet to find reviews or testimonials of people who have used these lights with the Vagabond Mini. So far I only found one person who claim that they have used them together. I was hoping to see if anyone here have tested this combination out and how did it work? I have seen all the testimonials on the compatibility of VML with Elinchrom and Profoto lights. I would also appreciate any other recommendations on power packs that would work with the lights, but of course since I am doing such a thorough search for the VML, I am working with a budget.

Thanks,
Johnny

Kirk Candlish

The VML is powered by the cheapest chinese made LI cells available. They'll last for about 100 re-charges and then you'll spend 80% of the original cost to re-cell them. So while they're cheap up front the real cost is greater over time.

neelin

On a similar tack, I've been looking at a homebuilt unit using a Tripplite aps1012. It would have required a bit of handiwork to make it presentable. Tripplite discontinued it (maybee some avail. discounted) and replaced it with the aps1250. Some changes, but the form factor is essentially near ready for a handle and an Anderson SB (forklift type) power connector to a 12V power source (a deep discharge solar/marine battery or your car in a pinch). 1250watt continuous sine, and the ability to suck up those surges from old-style flashes (that don't have the ability to dial-down the initial draw from line power). It's not a toy, weighs 11kg & needs you to lug around a 12v lead acid style battery. Includes 3stage charging ability.
Tripp Lite PowerVerter® APS 1250W Inverter/Charger with Auto-Transfer Switching and 2 Outlets (APS1250)
SB® Family
OOPS...my mistake. They still make the aps1012SW (pure sine wave) and I'll still have to build a bit more around it to make it work the way I want. Still not a toy, it weighs 16kg. The aps1250 is a replacement for the aps1012, but neither are pure sine wave.

Last edited:

J.Look

The VML is powered by the cheapest chinese made LI cells available. They'll last for about 100 re-charges and then you'll spend 80% of the original cost to re-cell them. So while they're cheap up front the real cost is greater over time.
Based on the info on their website they will loose 30% of their capacity after charged 500 times. A new battery costs $90.
I have two of them for my Profoto D1 in case I need more portable lights and they work without any problems (the D1 can set to a battery mode). The 500Ws needs about 3 seconds to recycle at full power. Not great but OK to have them as a backup.

With the older Hensel Integra they should work but not with the new Expert D.
Hensel will introduce a new portable power source with a lithium battery soon but I would expect it in the $1000 and up price range.

Jens

Kirk Candlish

Yeah they had Robert Golbraith take down his review that showed he had to recell several after about 100 recharges. Believe what you like. You get what you pay for.

J.Look

Yeah they had Robert Golbraith take down his review that showed he had to recell several after about 100 recharges. Believe what you like. You get what you pay for.
Even with just 100 recharges. How many times do you use them? I have maybe one shoot per week where I need a portable flash and I think that is a lot.
So with one per week I would have to get a new battery every second year.
That is less than $1 per shoot for the battery. Not so bad when you compare the price, weight and dimensions with any other battery pack on the market.
I order my first one in 2011 and so far the battery is fine.

Kirk Candlish

They've been working on this replacement battery system for about 2 years. The quality will be very high and the engineering excellent.

Yes the VML will work. But I don't put cheap gas or a cheap battery in my car for a good reason. It just doesn't follow to buy a high end product and run it on the cheapest option in the market.

I tried my D1 Air 500s on a bunch of batteries, including the VML, and they made this horrible high pitched squeal as they started to recycle. A sound I never heard when they were recycling from a more powerful battery/converter or AC. I know the sound of electronics that are being starved for current. I could hear a repair bill in my future if I ran them that way.

J.Look

Yes the VML will work. But I don't put cheap gas or a cheap battery in my car for a good reason. It just doesn't follow to buy a high end product and run it on the cheapest option in the market.
We are talking here about the older Hensel Integra and not about high end (I had 9 of them so I know them very well).
I just use the product that works best for me and weight and dimensions are very important for me when I travel with the equipment.
Two of the VMLs are lighter, smaller, 1/3 of the price (I guess. The battery alone in the new Hensel costs over $500), longer battery live plus with two you always have one backup and you don't need long power cords.
That is why I don't have a Profoto BatPac. It is a great product but for me to heavy and to big and that is also one of the reasons I changed from the Hensel Porty Lithium (a great product otherwise) to two Profoto Acute B2 Lithium.

I know the sound of electronics that are being starved for current. I could hear a repair bill in my future if I ran them that way.
There are many photographers who are using them on the D1 (including me) for a while now and I never heard about any problems.
Photogenic just came out with a version that looks like a copy of the VML.

neelin

I finally put together a Tool-time Tim solution to field power for lighting (Profoto Compact lighting that needs lots of oomph, and PURE SINE WAVE).
It's home built using a Tripp-Lite APS1012SW (16kg/36.5#), can do 1kw all day long, and 2kw surges, just what I need, & will take 120amps out of the battery at full power.
I bought a Costco 27DC Deep Discharge battery (somewhat larger than a car battery), and the other materials I had around.
#4 Copper, Rubber Welding cable (#4CU is good for 135amps IIRC)
Anderson SBE-160 Forklift battery connectors (good for 160a)
Lugs for the wire, and torch & solder.
Misc. unistrut, threaded rod & hardware for a battery retainer, red & black heatshrink for marking, and an old pneumatic tire two wheel dolly.

The battery has about 1/4" play and can be lifted out easily and loaded separately into a vehicle, as the dolly/inverter weighs about the same as the battery. I plan to make something on the back of the dolly for stands/tripods, etc. and perhaps transport the lights & a small grip gear bag above the inverter. Pretty much self contained.

What's really nice about the Tripp-lite is that it has an onboard trickle & 4-40amp configurable charger. You can go to a remote location with dodgy power & plug in and it & as far as I know not worry about blowing breakers. Use the Inverter, while on another front the charger is using available power to be putting charge back into your battery.

I'll report on general performance after a shoot & some testing.

I know this DIY is not for everyone, but I'm a product of the 1960s, when people still built stuff themselves (ala Peter Gowland...need a 4x5 single lens reflex, camera...well, I guess I just build one). I used to have access to all kinds of neat electronic gear as a kid & tons of 1950s Mechanics Illustrated.

On a similar tack, I've been looking at a homebuilt unit using a Tripplite aps1012. It would have required a bit of handiwork to make it presentable. Tripplite discontinued it (maybee some avail. discounted) and replaced it with the aps1250. Some changes, but the form factor is essentially near ready for a handle and an Anderson SB (forklift type) power connector to a 12V power source (a deep discharge solar/marine battery or your car in a pinch). 1250watt continuous sine, and the ability to suck up those surges from old-style flashes (that don't have the ability to dial-down the initial draw from line power). It's not a toy, weighs 11kg & needs you to lug around a 12v lead acid style battery. Includes 3stage charging ability.
Tripp Lite PowerVerter® APS 1250W Inverter/Charger with Auto-Transfer Switching and 2 Outlets (APS1250)
SB® Family
OOPS...my mistake. They still make the aps1012SW (pure sine wave) and I'll still have to build a bit more around it to make it work the way I want. Still not a toy, it weighs 16kg. The aps1250 is a replacement for the aps1012, but neither are pure sine wave.