The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto AcuteB Lead swap to lithium Battery?

Is it possible to get a lithium battery for the AcuteB and swap it out with the lead acid battery that is in the cassette. This would be buying from a battery source, not buying as new from B&H with the cassette, etc. I know I would also need a different charger...

Thanks!

aztwang

I have had nothing but trouble with 3rd party batteries with acute B and Batpac. To my knowledge you can upgrade to lithium and install in your cassette.

Kirk Candlish

I have had nothing but trouble with 3rd party batteries with acute B and Batpac. To my knowledge you can upgrade to lithium and install in your cassette.
That's because the Profoto batteries deliver a higher, sustained current draw to charge the caps than most LI batteries are designed for. All LI batteries have a circuit regulating them because LIs get hot when run over their specs.

Even with the SLA batteries the Profoto packs designed for the higher current draw. Profoto USA used to sell replacement SLAs at a reasonable price so you could rebuild your own. With the LI new to the market they aren't likely to be supporting a 'build your own' LI market so I don't think we'll see the replacements available any time soon.

J

jojointhemo

Yes, its possible. I bought a 12v lithium battery from all-battery.com, and it works just fine, at half the weight of the lead. I bought it from them as opposed to other batteries as their maximum output was 20Ah, which is about 2x to other lithium batteries I could find. The recharge time at maximum output was about 3 seconds. The only problem is my charge light indicator on my acuteb2 is always red. Not sure how to change that, but other than that it works perfectly.