The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AB800 Alternative?

Albino_BlacMan

Recently I've been looking at starting a home studio. I've been looking at picking up some AB800's but PCB only does UPS shipping to Canada which I'm not a big fan of. Long story short I'm looking for alternatives.

Don't need a huge amount of power. I'll be shooting indoors with Oly 4/3 gear so ISO 200 and f4 - f8 through a big softbox (like 5 foot softbox) should do it for me.

I've been looking at Elinchrom D-Lite RX2's and RX4's. Would this fit the bill? Are they the same as D-Lite 4's (I can find info and reviews of the D-Lite 4's but not the RX4's but it might just be a matter of me not knowing what to search for).

Also available from BH are things like the Novatron M300, and Smith-Victor flashlite 320. Does anyone have recommendations (are any of these better than the AB's or just more expensive?) or should I just suck it up and deal with the insane UPS fees?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Side question: When choosing a speedring do I need one that matches the softbox and the monolight or just the monolight (e.g. would a chimera softbox attach to a photoflex speedring or do I need a chimera speedring for a chimera softbox?)

corposant

I believe you can use Chimera/Plume/Photoflex/Westcott speedrings interchangeably. I can use my Chimera or Photoflex rings on my Plume Wafer, though the Photoflex rings has 8 holes (presumably to accommodate an octa box) but I only use for a softbox.

The new D-Lites have a Skyport receiver built-in, so it's one less thing you would need to buy if you want to sync wirelessly. An RX4 would be a bit more powerful than a B800, but the B800 would have a slightly faster flash duration. One thing I like about my Eli is that if my pack or head is out of reach, I can use my Skyport transmitter to adjust power settings in 1/10s of a stop increments. The ABs have a slider, so if you have it boomed or in a corner, you are going to have to physically change the power settings and reposition it.

Either strobe should give you plenty of power, but I am pretty sure Buff will be cheaper across the board. Maybe you should get an estimate on import fees to equalize the price difference?