The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I almost wet my pants when the email came in. There you go guys you now know what to buy me for Christmas.

Dustbak

I just hope the things are a tad smaller than the D1's especially shorter. In that case they fit a lot better in those nice Elinchrom soft bags...

johnnygoesdigital

Wow! This could be quite useful where I shoot. Speedlite duration and 500w/s are very tempting. The PB E640 was also fast and portable, but I hated the PW antenna sticking out the top.

kdphotography

Per the Profoto website, the new B1 500 Air ttl-c (canon) does not support the 1D series. Profoto claims they are working on 1D ttl compatibility, but that's just plain weird that the "flagship" Canon bodies aren't included as ttl capable on initial release.

TTL is not a deal-killer for me, but I would have thought that a lot of "pro Canon photographers" are using 1D/1Ds/1Dx series bodies as opposed to say, Canon Rebels. :D No B1 TTL capability for Phase DF body, but I'm sorta hoping you can use the Air Remote ttl-c as an ordinary Air Remote Transceiver, sans ttl mode of course.

ken

johnnygoesdigital

I'm not interested in TTL, and not quite a fan of the B1's flat face like the D1. The bulbs of the AcuteB or D4 are much more useful in certain set ups, imo. Also, the weight of the B1 air with a modifier on a stand would certainly require a sandbag. Nonetheless, a cool, portable light for fast location work.

fotografz

You can swap out the flat glass front on the D1 for the dome type, so I'm sure you can do the same with these B1s. Although, IMO they should've come with the domes and offered the flat glass as an option.

I like the flat glass because it takes the very small set of slip-on grids that are useful for certain applications and are easy to carry installed.

I'm sure it'll be a frosty day in Hades before TTL is supported for Sony or my S2, so that dog don't hunt for me anyway.

Hope they fire sale the Acute B2 AIR Ls because of this ;)

- Marc

kdphotography

This from the Profoto blog:

"8) Will there be any additional Air Remotes for other camera brands?

We’re currently devoting our full attention to making the compatibility with Canon and Nikon as good as it can possibly get. That being said, we’re not closing any doors. Ideally, we’ll have Air Remotes for all camera brands in the future....."

....but I agree with you it will probably be a cold day in the inferno before TTL support is expanded beyond Nikon/Canon especially for the rather limited makes of the Leica S2 or Phase DF. I'm still bewildered why the Canon 1D bodies aren't B1 TTL compatible now.

ken

gazwas

Not sure how anyone can not be impressed by theses lights and I got onto my dealer and ordered two with the controller as soon as I got the email on the 5th.

I personally think Profoto are totally miss selling these lights to speedlite shooters and TTL only flash photographers as they seem like the perfect light weight location battery lights to me for any working commercial photographer. The B1 head with battery is lighter than the AcuteB2 generator, battery and head but only marginally less powerful but still delivers the shame number of full power flashes per battery charge. Cost a lot less even with the additional glass domes and have a new Air controller that allows TTL control but more importantly shows the power settings if each light on an LCD display rather than the remember the number of button presses or walk over to the light approach of the current air controller. Who gives a crap about TTL support on a S2, DF or even a 1D body when everything else it offers puts in more in the ProB4 territory rather than the AcuteB - never mind a speedlite.

I can't wait to get shooting with mine and the potential for future feature upgrades via firmware (HSS) is really exciting.

fotografz

Not sure how anyone can not be impressed by theses lights and I got onto my dealer and ordered two with the controller as soon as I got the email on the 5th.

I personally think Profoto are totally miss selling these lights to speedlite shooters and TTL only flash photographers as they seem like the perfect light weight location battery lights to me for any working commercial photographer. The B1 head with battery is lighter than the AcuteB2 generator, battery and head but only marginally less powerful but still delivers the shame number of full power flashes per battery charge. Cost a lot less even with the additional glass domes and have a new Air controller that allows TTL control but more importantly shows the power settings if each light on an LCD display rather than the remember the number of button presses or walk over to the light approach of the current air controller. Who gives a crap about TTL support on a S2, DF or even a 1D body when everything else it offers puts in more in the ProB4 territory rather than the AcuteB - never mind a speedlite.

I can't wait to get shooting with mine and the potential for future feature upgrades via firmware (HSS) is really exciting.
It is all very impressive. No doubt about it. I just noticed that you can get additional lith batteries for the B1 which makes it even more impressive!

However, there are some application differences which you are overlooking. For some applications a 7lb Mono head on the end of a painter's pole is unwieldy, where an Acute B 600 head is less than half that.

I agree about TTL, as I would rarely use it anyway ... but a read-out of each light at the camera is a very nice feature of the new controller. Hats off to Profoto.

Now, what can I sell to get at least one of these B1s :)

- Marc

gazwas

However, there are some application differences which you are overlooking. For some applications a 7lb Mono head on the end of a painter's pole is unwieldy, where an Acute B 600 head is less than half that.
I agree the compact generator heads are much better for some specific applications like you mentioned and I'm not about to give up my AcuteB2's (which I love) for these lights but they sure make a great accompaniment and hence my comment about Profoto miss selling by aiming at speedlite shooters. TTL would put lots of pros off these lights but the controller and lights offer much more than the way Profoto are marketing these lights as the equivalent of setting the camera to programme mode.

I have been itching after some more Acutes for a while but put off by the lack of Air control like all the newer Profoto gear now has. I thought this release was going to be a digital AcuteB3 but mono heads could be a better solution for me especially for the industrial stuff I shoot where cables are always a big hazard.

fotografz

I agree the compact generator heads are much better for some specific applications like you mentioned and I'm not about to give up my AcuteB2's (which I love) for these lights but they sure make a great accompaniment and hence my comment about Profoto miss selling by aiming at speedlite shooters. TTL would put lots of pros off these lights but the controller and lights offer much more than the way Profoto are marketing these lights as the equivalent of setting the camera to programme mode.

I have been itching after some more Acutes for a while but put off by the lack of Air control like all the newer Profoto gear now has. I thought this release was going to be a digital AcuteB3 but mono heads could be a better solution for me especially for the industrial stuff I shoot where cables are always a big hazard.
I think I understand their speed-light strategy. There has been a real "stobist" movement towards using speed-lights for their TTL ability when shooting in quick changing situations ... something I never quite understood or bought into because you either have to jack up the ISO (and lower the IQ), or gang a bunch of speed-lights into one modifier to get anywhere near enough light ... then pound the crap out of the speed-lights in any extended shooting situation.

I freely admit to trying that myself for a portrait gig with some little kids ... all it did was trip the speed-light's thermal protection and shut the key speed-light down for 10 minutes while it cooled down. So, the first time I tried it was the last time. 10 minutes was an eternity with a bunch of squirmy rug-rats waiting for me to get up and running again. :thumbdown:

My main use of the Acute B kit is on a painter's pole with a TTL speed-light in the hot-shoe for fill ... total mobility. Control from the camera isn't an issue since an assistant is working the B 600 pack and boom-pole, I just indicate up or down for any adjustment. I want a second Acute 600B because I could plug in the Acute Bi-Tube and put out 1200 W/s when needed.

My main unit is a Hensel Porty 1200L which does have Profoto AIR built in, and unlike the 600B can be adjusted from the camera using the AIR transmitter. I favor it because I have a few nifty heads that plug into that pack ... like a Carbon Fiber ring-light and a true Fresnel head.

However, as I am backing off the commercial work, I probably should re-think all this and maybe pare it all down to D1s and a couple of these B1s, and stick with the one 600B.

It's always something to ponder with these technological leaps :rolleyes:

- Marc

gazwas

My requirements often involves lighting equipment in large spaces or hiding lamp heads out of site. Working mainly alone means lots of walking for the final lighting tweaks with the Actutes. Industrial power supplies in factories (three phase?) means regular lights (Pro packs or D1's) cannot be used and battery is the safest power source. The ProB4 is ideal but out of my budget so the B1's sound perfect with their Air control and LCD power info for each attached lamp.

johnnygoesdigital

I agree to an extent... Try mounting your AcuteB2 generator on a 12 foot stand (just to make a point) because that more closely resembles the weight for the B1 air. Now add a 3 foot octa or beauty dish... Not an ideal solution for many location shoots. The Acute can be carried in a backpack and the lights are considerably lighter for chasing your subjects. Don't get me wrong, I like this new light too, but will use it to compliment my current lights and modifiers as needed. The bi-tube is a must for the AcuteB!