The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

gazwas

I think this is the most dynamic product released this year in the photographic industry.
Yes, they really are something else! These babies must have almost obliterated AcuteB2 sales over night.

A great feature of the Air TTL controller I love is when adjusting power in manual mode you +/- in 1/10th stops but after a few seconds of making your adjustment the setting disappears on the AirTTL display. That may sound backwards but its very intuitive to use when assessing lighting ratios as I don't need to know the actual numeric setting on the light, only how much I need to adjust the current ration to get the effect I'm after. If you hit min or max power the controller beeps to let you know you have reach the limit of adjustment.

Only taken a couple of snaps in TTL when I got the controller and it seems to work very well but I won't be using the TTL mode and my test wasn't very scientific for a 100% reliable conclusion. Always a great additional option if one day I need it though.

Sharokin

I actually love the TTL. I shoot the aperture I want (for the most part), dial in the exposure, then go to manual. Works great!

fotografz

Hope that is true, and they fire-sale the Acute B600L AIRs with B600 head. I'd like a second one if it were inexpensive enough. If they replace the B600 with full digital AIR, it'll cost an arm and a leg.

No way am I hanging a B1 off an overhead boom arm, any more than I'd hang a D1.

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

No way am I hanging a B1 off an overhead boom arm, any more than I'd hang a D1.

Initially, that was my thought too, but in the situations where I do need a boom on location, i'll have an assistant. AcuteB2 Air's sell for $500 more and don't even include a head. Other than size and a slight increase in power there's no comparison between the two for my style of shooting.

gazwas

I do agree about sales for the AcuteB2 Air being affected, but perhaps that's be phased out anyway.
If they replace the B600 with full digital AIR, it'll cost an arm and a leg.
I feel the reason the B1 is being billed as the "strobists" Profoto light is we will see an updated range of Acutes that gain much of the functionality of the B1 but in pack form and undercut the cost of the big daddy, big wallet Pro range.

The Acute range must be a massive seller for Profoto but is looking tired IMO - 2014 and still no Air control, only Air sync! Acute users don't need the blisterinlg fast recycle times but we do want digital accuracy and Air power control etc.

But I agree, considering the B1 is priced on the high side (but well worth it), it paves the way for a price hike for the all digital, AcuteB3 AirTTL.

I'd order one tomorrow!! :D

gazwas

Other than size and a slight increase in power there's no comparison between the two for my style of shooting.

I agree.

I love my AcuteB2's sooo much and we will never part but hate when working alone I can't control the packs from camera. The B1 solved this problem overnight and are a joy to use with the new AirTTL controller.

For me, this convenience far outweighs any negatives about size and weight of the heads by a long, long stretch. Now I have tasted the joys of using the B1's, I'll never buy another ActueB until they are upgraded.

johnnygoesdigital

For me, this convenience far outweighs any negatives about size and weight of the heads by a long, long stretch. Now I have tasted the joys of using the B1's, I'll never buy another ActueB until they are upgraded.

I agree...I actually sold my AcuteB2 gear in favor of the B1's after a recent shoot in an ice storm. Adjusting power and cables on an icy incline was not pretty. I do like the size of the AcuteB's, but it is outdated. Hensel really nailed it withe the L1200, built in Profoto Air, and weather sealing. It would only make sense for Profoto to have an AcuteB3 with the same functionality.

Sharokin

For all the B1/D1 owners, what stands do you recommend? I shoot primarily location portraits with modifiers like a beauty dish, and 39" octoboxes.
Prefer the stand to be compact for storage purposes.

fotografz

I use Mathews C stands and steel Hollywoods in studio, but only occasionally on location (IF I have beefy boy assistants to lug it all ;)).

Outdoors, I recommend looking for regular "general purpose" folding stands with a large "footprint" diameter for more stability outdoors, and a leveling leg for uneven terrain. Beware of the so called "stacking stands" that nestle together for storage, as they often have a small footprint when opened (some are 4' or less).

The height needed is up to you, but keep in mind that the more riser sections the stand has, the weaker it gets when extended to full height. Air cushioned helps when using heavier heads like a Monoblock.

This one has a 5' diameter footprint which is pretty good

Manfrotto 007BUAC Alu Senior Stand with Leveling 007BUAC B&H

This one has a 4.5 ' diameter footprint:

Lowel GS Grand Stand Air Cushioned Light Stand - 10.5' (3.1m) GS

Hope this helps,

- Marc

rem

I had my first shooting with a actor and the B1. Late in the night just for fun I would see what is possible with 500Ws (I have also a Hensel Porty 1200L, but never tried that). I find its pretty impressive. The Church is really big...
125/sec F3.2 at 200ISO. The second one is without flash, same time etc.
Anyway, also to work with the B1 in the city was really a pleasure. We walked around, my assisten hold the B1 over here head. No cables, just great!
rem

Sharokin

I showed up to the shoot having forgotten my 5D3 batteries sitting inside the chargers at home (35 miles away)
Luckily my friend and assistant had an old 50D (different battery) which I used with my own lenses. I was really surprised the files were this good from a camera, even new, was never known for good image quality.
All images photographed using a one B1, and a 25 degree grid.

fotografz

I showed up to the shoot having forgotten my 5D3 batteries sitting inside the chargers at home (35 miles away)
Luckily my friend and assistant had an old 50D (different battery) which I used with my own lenses. I was really surprised the files were this good from a camera, even new, was never known for good image quality.
All images photographed using a one B1, and a 25 degree grid.
Proving once again that good lighting can have more impact on images than what camera you use.:thumbup:

- Marc