The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

johnnygoesdigital

Matias,

I always enjoy your lighting set ups...nice! Sharokin, I also like the low contrasty feel of your tighter portrait-almost film-like.

As it turns out the B1's are not fast enough for my needs and I have no use for TTL, but that feature was never the draw for me. The fastest duration is really somewhere around 2w/s of output and the full power output speed is somewhere around 1/200 of a second at t0.1. I am really intrigued with wireless lighting though.

gazwas

My initial excitement over the B1 has wavered a little and while I still think they are a wonderful lamp I'm not getting on with their size. Stick a modifier on them and you notice their size is quite considerable.

I went back to the AcuteB's as the first lights out of the bag on shoots and only used the B1's when needed. I quite like the bare bulb output (no modifier) of the AcuteB head but this is impossible with the B1 unless you mount the pyrex dome and again I didn't like these as they add to the already long length of the B1 and their attachment method is a little flimsy IMO.

fotografz

My initial excitement over the B1 has wavered a little and while I still think they are a wonderful lamp I'm not getting on with their size. Stick a modifier on them and you notice their size is quite considerable.

I went back to the AcuteB's as the first lights out of the bag on shoots and only used the B1's when needed. I quite like the bare bulb output (no modifier) of the AcuteB head but this is impossible with the B1 unless you mount the pyrex dome and again I didn't like these as they add to the already long length of the B1 and their attachment method is a little flimsy IMO.
Interesting to go back a few posts and compare excited conjecture with reality. The strength of the Acute Bs is still their tiny size but big-head output.

Having worked with the D1s for some time, including with PCB batteries on location, I knew the size would be a bit of an issue … with a decent modifier that's a lot of weight out on the end of a boom arm or up 12 feet on a stand.

If I shot with Canon, I'd probably already have a pair of these B1s for mobile work like weddings and such where I could set these in a reception room and shoot away using on-camera fill. But for Acute B2-600AIRs Lithium walk-about type work with a "painter's stick" assistant, the assistant becomes the "remote" :)

Unfortunately, it'll be a month of Sundays before Profoto offers TTL for any cameras I own, and probably never for my Leica S2-P. That's the downside of using Sony … hardly any new tech lighting solutions apply. Old school works just fine anyway.

- Marc

gazwas

Interesting to go back a few posts and compare excited conjecture with reality. The strength of the Acute Bs is still their tiny size but big-head output.
Indeed, however if you've never used an AcuteB you'd wonder what all my moaning was about as the B1 is one super head and offers some amazing features.

But.... for all its ageing, primitive design nothing beats the AcuteB2 in terms of light quality in an ultra compact package. I sorely miss mine already and I only sold them a few days ago.......:cry:

M

mjr

I agree, having not used the AcuteB's, I have no reference point, for me the B1 is superb and I've not yet come to a point where I wish it was smaller, that day will probably come, it's not an issue in the studio but out on location I can see the potential for issues.

I'm waiting for news on the para though Gaz, what's the score?

fotografz

Indeed, however if you've never used an AcuteB you'd wonder what all my moaning was about as the B1 is one super head and offers some amazing features.

But.... for all its ageing, primitive design nothing beats the AcuteB2 in terms of light quality in an ultra compact package. I sorely miss mine already and I only sold them a few days ago.......:cry:
Yeah, I don't want to come off as dissing the B1s because they are a fantastic advancement in taking Monos mobile. Not everyone is hanging the light over the subject's head where all that weight produces nervous sweating:ROTFL:

If I were a Canon shooter, I'd be all over the B1's … with their swift mobility, they are well suited for the higher end wedding and portrait shooter for sure. That's who Profoto seems to be targeting the B1s at lately:

Profoto - Justin And Mary

I see the good old Acute B2 Lithium AIRs with its' mostly analog dials and rocker switches like I do a good old Leica M or Hasselbald V analog camera … reliable to a fault, and no-brainer to use.

My Hensel Porty 1200L is all digital and well sealed against the elements, but I still love the familiar "old shoe" analog stuff …

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Oddly, after using most of the lighting discussed here, the Paul Buff E640/VML was the most useful with the shortest duration and best price point!

johnnygoesdigital

Possibly for someone who lives in the US but for the rest of the world a none starter IMO.
I would strongly suggest the Hensel L1200 then. It's ProfotoAir is by far the best range of any. The sealed battery and tiny lights with detachable cables are a must for portability. I only sold mine because of the lack of USA support and customer service.

M

mjr

Morning

I picked up the TTL N controller the other day to give it a go on the D800E, first commercial shoot with it yesterday and I was really impressed!

I shot a personal trainer who wanted dramatic shots, hard light and dark backgrounds, I got access to a local power station and I think it worked pretty well, client is happy anyway! One issue with the TTL N is the speed of setting things up, it literally took half the time, I hope I don't lose money with charging for less hours!

Here's a couple.