The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metz 64 AF-1 - a new beast

gazwas

Guide number of 64 Wow.............. at the 200mm position not so Wow.

I fail to see whats is so impressive about this, just another flashgun boasting big guide numbers that don't actually mean anything in real world use. And even if it did have a GN64 at a reasonable head setting (35mm) what would be the point as it runs on 4 AA batteries. 20 pops and it would be dead. Add a power pack and cost and size is reaching Profoto B1 (or soon other manufacturer equivalent - Photokina?) and they are proper, much more flexible flash units.

stngoldberg

I have the Metz, now stuck in a closet somewhere in my house.
I bought the Quantum (actually three of them) and have them talk to each other. They are powerful and light weight...carry them around in a gym bag.
Stanley

gazwas

I have the Metz, now stuck in a closet somewhere in my house.
I bought the Quantum (actually three of them) and have them talk to each other. They are powerful and light weight...carry them around in a gym bag.
Stanley
Yes, the Quantum I can understand (apart from their studio strobe cost) and the Metz hammerheads possibly too but a hotshe gun not so much. I'm sure its very good, Metz have always made quality kit but this is not the most exciting lighting product i've seen recently.

fotografz

Thank you for posting this!

While evolutionary, it also represents some improvements long over-due for speed-lights in general.

Lots of misinformation already floating around on other photo-sites regarding this speed-light. Best to go straight to the maker's website for clarification.

Product information: Metz

This is of interest to me because Leica flashes are made by Metz, and this new one may be the next issue for my Leica S2P.

I'm also interested for use on my A99. My Sony HVL-F60M speed-light is larger, heavier, and more bulky than my Leica (Metz) SF58, as well as this new one … and this new speed-light has many improvements lacking on my Sony flash. I need a back-up to replace the older Sony flash that requires an "shaky" adapter to use on the A99.

Of great interest is the LCD touch screen interface that even rotates and is back-lit … promising to enhance making adjustments in dark ambient conditions. This is a major advancement over any of my current flashes, and BIG deal IMO.

The other improvement's include … a metal foot, which neither my Sony 60 nor Leica SF58 have … a standard ISO PC Sync Port … also something lacking on Sony F60M flash, as well as my Leica SF58. The latter is long over-due for off-camera use using studio radio transceivers such as Profoto's AIR, Elinchrom's Skyport, and Pocket Wizard (for example, speed-lights make excellent accent lights to place in areas to small to hide studio strobes).

The extension to evenly illuminate out to 200mm is a nice improvement that I think users of the Sony 135/1.8 and 70-200 lenses will appreciate.

What is not published on the Metz site (that I can find), are full output recycle times when set to "Rapid Mode" (someone on another site said it is 1.8 seconds, but I could not verify that). The other unknown is the thermal shut-off threshold of this new flash compared to the Sony FM60M, which is notorious for quitting under rapid shooting conditions.

Of note, Sony does NOT list Lithium batteries to power their flash … Metz does list Lithium for the SF58 and this new one. While I do use Lithiums in my Sony units, they get pretty darned hot … which may or may not be a contributing factor to the thermal shut-down issue (?) I've never had my SF58 shut down, I have had it happen a number of times with Sony flash.

- Marc

fotografz

Guide number of 64 Wow.............. at the 200mm position not so Wow.

I fail to see whats is so impressive about this, just another flashgun boasting big guide numbers that don't actually mean anything in real world use. And even if it did have a GN64 at a reasonable head setting (35mm) what would be the point as it runs on 4 AA batteries. 20 pops and it would be dead. Add a power pack and cost and size is reaching Profoto B1 (or soon other manufacturer equivalent - Photokina?) and they are proper, much more flexible flash units.
This flash is $449 + the tiny Quantum Turbo SC @ $351 = $800 … not $1,995 the B1 costs. Plus, you cannot mount the B1 on your camera to use as fill ;)

Not that I think this puny flash can run with the "big dog" strobes, but it does have its place, even in conjunction with the key-light studio strobes. My most used mobile set-up is TTL on camera for fill, and a radio triggered Profoto B600 Lithium AIR as key. When the B1 gets some competition and they offer periodic sale prices, I may get one of those also.

Using AA Ni-MH Panasonic eneloop pro batteries (2550 mAh) in my current Metz made Leica SF58, I get a lot more than 20 full power pops. I'm assuming similar performance with this flash, or maybe even better.

While the guide numbers may be relatively comparable to other speed-lights at wider focal lengths, most others do not extend lighting out for 200mm focal lengths, and base their guide numbers on 105mm at ISO 100.

The other improvements make it worth the price IMO.

- Marc

gazwas

This flash is $449 + the tiny Quantum Turbo SC @ $351 = $800 … not $1,995 the B1 costs. Plus, you cannot mount the B1 on your camera to use as fill ;)
I was thinking for people looking at these to start off rather than someone who already owns part of the system. Basing this flash around the Turbo 3 battery with power cable, cable for off camera TTL and some form of radio trigger for away from camera use it might not quite be B1 money its not all that far off either especially considering this is after all only a speedlight.

fotografz

I was thinking for people looking at these to start off rather than someone who already owns part of the system. Basing this flash around the Turbo 3 battery with power cable, cable for off camera TTL and some form of radio trigger for away from camera use it might not quite be B1 money its not all that far off either especially considering this is after all only a speedlight.
I still do not agree with the "all that far off pricing" comment", (you still have to pay $395 for a TTL-N/TTL-C AIR transceiver, and some sort of modifier, on top of the $2K for the B1, and none of the Profoto B1 stuff can be found used yet … while used Quantum batteries are cheap (if the average person starting out even needs more than the AAs in the flash).

However, I DO agree 100% with the spirit of "Off Camera with Strobes" if you can afford it … almost anything other than a speed-light works better in almost every way other than convenience.

Even then, I highly recommend a speed-light first if for no other reason than it's easy to carry for everyday fill (and it needn't be as powerful or sophisticated as this one). Then add a strobe.

- Marc

gazwas

Even then, I highly recommend a speed-light first if for no other reason than it's easy to carry for everyday fill (and it needn't be as powerful or sophisticated as this one). Then add a strobe.
Strobist gear for me are good old trusty Vivitar 285's. Spending more just seems excessive on speed lights but I suppose if you want TTL then you have to pay extra.

fotografz

Strobist gear for me are good old trusty Vivitar 285's. Spending more just seems excessive on speed lights but I suppose if you want TTL then you have to pay extra.
Understood.

If you want ADI TTL and high speed sync on a Sony camera … or the wink fill flash on front for when you are bouncing off of a ceiling, or up to 200mm reach … then this new Metz may not be all that "excessive".

The 285s are still great if none of that is of interest to a photographer.

Personally, I still occasionally use a SunPak 120J bare bulb flash which delivers a better quality of light than any standard speed-light IMO. Mostly as a smaller, self contained off-camera kit. However, since getting the much more powerful Elinchrom Quadra Lithium, I haven't touched the SunPak.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a nice, little travel flash (at least compared to my Metz 70 units), and the 200mm reach is certainly a nice feature. It's a pity it's not an SCA flash though, which would mean that I have to buy one either for Panasonic or for Nikon, but then again: that kind of flexibility is one of the reasons why I have the "potato mashers" :)