The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lighting at Photokina 2014

gazwas

I have a feeling this years Photokina won't be the most exciting for camera releases but does anyone have any rumours or requests what lighting products they would like to see at Photokina 2014?

gazwas

I'll start things off

Being a recent convert to Broncolor I'd like to see:-

1. More lamp heads with LED comparability for perfect integration between studio and battery packs.
2. A Profoto B1 rival but smaller and lighter with open flash tube.

iiiNelson

I'd guess Profoto would introduce the B1 1000w. I wouldn't mind seeing a "consolidation" of the D1 and B1 line and Profoto offering an A/C wall adapter that plugs into the slot where the battery goes.

gazwas

I'd guess Profoto would introduce the B1 1000w.
The only problem I see with that is it would step on the toes of the ProB4. I imaging most people who buy or hire ProB4's need the power above all of its other fancy features. If all of a sudden everyone could afford to own a 1000Ws Profoto battery light as good as the B1 the rental market would take a massive hit. I'd estimate rental companies must make up at least 60% of Profoto's total sales, maybe more?

But you never know....... The B1 is after all being marketed as "off camera flash" rather than a battery version of the D1 hopefully dissuading defecting Pro pack users. However I don't think working photographers are stupid enough to believe it - I bought (and sold) two B1's and have never classed myself as a strobist.

fotografz

I'd like to see a replacement for (or supplement to) the Profoto Acute 600B AIR Lithium Pack that takes it digital to allow remote level adjustments. This little pack is still my preference over a B1 because the head is so small/light weight for use on a mobile painter's stick or over-head stationary boom arm.

The inclusion of an AC converter for the B1 would make that kit a lot more attractive. I have the AC converter for my Hensel Porty 1200L which more than doubled the use/value of that kit (BTW, it also uses the Profoto AIR radio, so I can mix it with my Profoto AIR stuff).

Rather than a B1-1000, I think a B1-250 that was smaller but used the same battery, recycled faster and decreased the flash durations would be of interest. Today's higher ISO cameras could benefit from better quality of light rather than quantity of light when on location compared to strobists style speed-light use.

I have a feeling there may be some noise generated by LED lighting due to the growth in popularity of video. Lots of potential there for innovation.

When I checked into a hotel during a power outage here, They had these industrial lights out front that caught my eye. They were called Glo-Bug Solo and were just plugged into an AC outlet. I was shocked now much beautiful soft light these things threw. Love to see something like this adapted to photo use.

GLO - BUG LIGHTING

- Marc

iiiNelson

Rather than a B1-1000, I think a B1-250 that was smaller but used the same battery, recycled faster and decreased the flash durations would be of interest. Today's higher ISO cameras could benefit from better quality of light rather than quantity of light when on location compared to strobists style speed-light use.

- Marc
You're probably spot on about this as it would give twice as many full power pops at least and upwards of up to 100,000 min power pops on one fully charged battery. A more reasonable entry price for off camera stuff isn't a bad thing for those that want to go with Profoto due to the mounting system and large amount of accessories available to buy.

I was thinking that the B1 and D1 could (and maybe should) be merged into one line especially if the D1 can't be upgraded to TTL which is a huge selling (or at least a huge marketing) feature for people starting off into strobes.

gazwas

I think you are right regarding more chance of seeing a lower powered B1 rather than more power although "with the power of 5 average speedlites" doesn't sound quite as impressive for the money.

Like you Marc, my favorate Profoto light was the truly amazing AcuteB2 but it seriously needs some attention. Digital operation like the Pro B4 and Air Remote built in would make this one formidable pack/head combo and be my preference over a B1 any day if the week.

gazwas

I have a feeling there may be some noise generated by LED lighting due to the growth in popularity of video. Lots of potential there for innovation.
I really do feel LED should be in all heads and one of the amazing things about the Bron Move with MobiLED heads. The down side is all the other heads flash but have no modelling. Having full size heads with even more powerful LED bulbs would be amazing for stills and video.

From a business stand point I'm not sure if it will ever happen as both Bron and Profoto have HMI ranges and having a PulsoLED or ProLED head with 600w equivalent daylight balanced bulbs might blur product lines......

fotografz

I think you are right regarding more chance of seeing a lower powered B1 rather than more power although "with the power of 5 average speedlites" doesn't sound quite as impressive for the money.

Like you Marc, my favorate Profoto light was the truly amazing AcuteB2 but it seriously needs some attention. Digital operation like the Pro B4 and Air Remote built in would make this one formidable pack/head combo and be my preference over a B1 any day if the week.
Until you try putting 5 speed-lights into one light modifier:rolleyes: … then set them to full power and shoot for 10 minutes, then wait 15 minutes for the thermal protector to let you shoot again:thumbdown:. Been there done that. Will NEVER, EVER, EVER do it again:banghead:

- Marc

rmueller

Wondering if we see the demise of traditional studio flash equipment
starting at photokina 2014. With increasing importance of Video for
photographers and ever increasing improvements in LED technology,
continuous light might soon take over the studio?

Companies like Dedo Light are agressively advertising in photo magazines
these days.
Anyway, looking forward to see whats coming, i'm happy with the bron Move
and Para for the moment.
Just my 2 cents,
Ralf

gazwas

I'm not so sure it will ever die out as flash light is so powerful and compact compared to continuous lighting of the same output but integration of LED into traditional studio heads would be a welcome addition. With modern DSLR's shooting stills and video (and MFD hopefully one day) not having to change lighting is a big attraction for many I'm sure.

As for LED lighting replacing all other types of lighting I'm not so sure it can. Its my understanding to get a specific colour temperature of light from LED they mix RGB LED's together at a magic ratio to get an approximate Kelvin temperature. As an LED diode emits quite a narrow RG or B value its not full spectrum light so can have an effect on colour (not colour balance but specific colours) if being very critical. Flash, tungsten, HMI are all full spectrum so are more much more accurate.

fotografz

I think there are a number of aspects could influence the growth of LED lighting … the growth of available video in still cameras (as mentioned), the increased ISO abilities of modern still cameras that reduce the amount of contineous light required, and the ease of newbies to explore off-camera lighting while being able to more easily see what they will get.

What will continue to be the strength of strobes is the flash duration's ability to freeze action and deliver color temp consistency across the range. The amount of continuous light required to achieve the shutter speed equivalent of 1/3500 flash duration would be substantial I think. Then when you do crank up the shutter speed with continuous lights, it affects the ambient exposure, where with strobes shutter speed is somewhat irrelevant … because the flash duration is faster. So you can capture ambient with a slower shutter speed while freezing the main subject using flash duration.

We'll probably see a lot of attention placed on continuous lighting because it is ripe for innovation in the more modest areas of home video and smaller video projects.

- Marc

rmueller

This looks interesting.
Hmhh, maybe something similar as the Profoto B1 but with LED? The
reflector looks like the one from the MobiLED.

Oh well, in one week from now we'll all know.

But yes, looks interesting.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

gazwas

It has to be a B1 killer from Bron?

....and if that is a MobiLED size reflector it looks a lot smaller which would be excellent.

rmueller

gazwas

No B1 but more of a D1 "killer", see
broncolor to introduce novelties at photokina – SIROS and HMI 1600
Doesn't look bad but not for me, i need mobile.
That was quite a surprise as I thought it would be battery powered/hybrid, however they do look a nice spec piece of kit. Quite supprised they didn't update the Scoro to use the iPhone/iPad app at the same time considering the Mac OS9 style app that runs them.

Like you, not for me either. I'm in the process of ditching all my monoblocks and will be after a Scoro next. Wonder if there are any Photokina specials/discounts running?

gazwas

The ability change the LED's colour on the top of the Siros when set to different lamp addresses is very cool. I must say these new Bron lights look VERY slick!

rmueller

I'm in the process of ditching all my monoblocks and will be after a Scoro next. Wonder if there are any Photokina specials/discounts running?
Few weeks ago they send me an email saying that they sell all of the photokina
demo equipment with considerable discounts. So you might want to ask your
bron dealer. The only "official" promotion i see is a Senso promotion.
I'd call them and ask, doesn't hurt.