The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor Pulso studio head differences?

gazwas

So I'm looking at getting some Bron studio heads but I'm a bit confused as to the differences between the more recent heads. The 3200J Pulso G is the latest head and I was all set to get these however, I've seen quite a few 3200J Pulso F4 heads for sale used which I believe to be the previous version to the latest head that look almost identical but at a fraction of the cost.

Both offer the zoom/focusing function and have the handle on the back with the only difference I can see being the stand mount is different on the new head so can anyone fill me in on the differences?

aztwang

So I'm looking at getting some Bron studio heads but I'm a bit confused as to the differences between the more recent heads. The 3200J Pulso G is the latest head and I was all set to get these however, I've seen quite a few 3200J Pulso F4 heads for sale used which I believe to be the previous version to the latest head that look almost identical but at a fraction of the cost.

Both offer the zoom/focusing function and have the handle on the back with the only difference I can see being the stand mount is different on the new head so can anyone fill me in on the differences?
So curious why do you need Pulso when you have MobiLED..Are you adding Scoro to your system? Hope all is well....Don

gazwas

So curious why do you need Pulso when you have MobiLED..Are you adding Scoro to your system? Hope all is well....Don
Hi Don, yes I'm just in the process of addind a Scoro for my studio work. Its a big investment and hence my question about the F4 heasds but I'm loving the Move so much that I now want to convert my studio so all my lighting is Bron.

M

mjr

Hey Gaz

Good to hear that you are enjoying the move system, any comments on the Para and kit now you've been using it a while? I'm absolutely loving the Profoto B1 but keep looking at the Para as the few times I've seen it in use I've been amazed at the light. Is it a rubbust kit, easy to set up on location and taking the abuse of daily use?

Cheers

Mat

gazwas

Hi Mat, glad you're enjoying the B1's - so you'll be adding another soon?

To be honest I've not used the Para as much as I hoped yet and been using hard reflectors and softboxes more but I'm starting a personal peoject soon that will use it exclusively. When I have used it the lighting quality is amazing and being focusable very flexible. No regrets even thought its not been used that much yet.

As for Para build quality, you have nothing to worry about. They use very high quality materials, superb as are the new Bron softbox range. Even the case the Para comes in is brilliant (but very big). I don't think anyone who buys a Para would regret it even considering their high cost.

MMPhoto

Hi Gaz,
I have Pulso F heads, the major difference between the older and the newer G models is that the older one are dedicated voltage. I have been told that they can not go from 120 volts to 220 volts, because of the fan.

Make sure that your flash tube have the star printed on the ceramic base.

Enjoy the system, it is great.

Michel

gazwas

Hi Michel, thanks for the explanation, that was something I'd never considered, especially when looking at used heads.

What is the significance of the star on the tube?

MMPhoto

I have use my heads with a Senso and Verso on location with the batteries as fill light, just can use the modelling lights, because of the power they draw.

Since Bron control the flash tube, you must have the newer tubes they have the star on the base, they have been around since the mid 90's.

rmueller

One thing to consider is that the Pulso heads can be used with the Move, although without modeling light. Not sure about the older ones.

Regards,
Ralf

gazwas

One thing to consider is that the Pulso heads can be used with the Move, although without modeling light. Not sure about the older ones.
Hi Ralf, thanks for the input.

How about thr other way around, can my Move MobiLED heads be used on the Scoro, I've been told not?

UlfKrentz

Hi,

to refine Michels explanations: Pulso F and G heads share the same mechanical design. It is true that F heads have a dedicated voltage/frequency rating. This can be modified if the head will be permanently used at the same location. The fan in the F heads has a greater diameter and is more effective but also louder, it is the same fan for all voltages. This fan often fails due to its age or mechanical abuse/transportation. This fan is not anymore available as spare part so if it fails you have to get the complete print, the metal that holds the fan and a new fan which actually converts the F to G head electrically. You can use all flash tubes with Grafit and Scoro packs. The flash tubes with the star on the socket have modified electrodes that can better withstand the higher demands and repetition rates of the Scoro packs. These tubes surfaced when the Scoro packs were introduced.
As a side note, always keep in mind what you are doing with your strobes - fast repetition at high power is poison for the tubes!
Anyway, you made a good choice with the bron equipment :) Have fun!

Cheers, Ulf

gazwas

Thanks for the information Ulf.

It seems like the F or G heads will be perfectly happy with the Scoro. I still have a preference for the G head as the stand mount looks like a standard stand spigot as are the MobiLED's, where the F heads looks more like a square peg? Do you need special adapters for the F heads or Bron stands?

UlfKrentz

Yes... I forgot the stand mount :) The old mount fits on a standard spigot, don´t worry. If you prefer the new version you can order the parts from broncolor. There is a complete conversion set that also includes a new bolt and a locking lever but you actually only need the Tripod-mount (part Z6684.00), a screw (part 39058.00) and the brake disc which will be around 22€ for the three parts vs a lot more for the set. The brake disc should be replaced anyway, the old version was made from a kind of rubber material that usually has become sticky.

Cheers

Ulf

iiiNelson

I'm kinda surprised people aren't talking much about the Broncolor Siros models more as an alternative to the Profoto D1/B1. Seemslike a well thought out unit with WiFi compatibility through iOS and Android coming soon. Built in Pocketwizard or RFS 2.1 and HSS on the higher-end models are all available as well.

gazwas

I'm kinda surprised people aren't talking much about the Broncolor Siros models more as an alternative to the Profoto D1/B1. Seemslike a well thought out unit with WiFi compatibility through iOS and Android coming soon. Built in Pocketwizard or RFS 2.1 and HSS on the higher-end models are all available as well.
I must admit I'm trying to get away from monoblocks now and when the announcement came they did seem impressive but I didn't take much more of an interest passed the initial spec sheets.

I have since watched the youtube vid's about them and while info is still a bit scarce, they do seem like the best mono on the market. Scoro/Move technology (in the S version) for a fraction of the cost.

Of course being a mono, everyone will compare them to the Buff Einstein which are much cheaper but use similar technology. However, if you value worldwide availability (very difficult to purchase if you live outside North America which is a fair few people), gorgeous Swiss build quality, proven Bron reliability, an HSS option and a vast modifier range there is no contest IMO.

iiiNelson

I must admit I'm trying to get away from monoblocks now and when the announcement came they did seem impressive but I didn't take much more of an interest passed the initial spec sheets.

I have since watched the youtube vid's about them and while info is still a bit scarce, they do seem like the best mono on the market. Scoro/Move technology (in the S version) for a fraction of the cost.

Of course being a mono, everyone will compare them to the Buff Einstein which are much cheaper but use similar technology. However, if you value worldwide availability (very difficult to purchase if you live outside North America which is a fair few people), gorgeous Swiss build quality, proven Bron reliability, an HSS option and a vast modifier range there is no contest IMO.
Yeah I thought they were pretty impressive too but diving a bit deeper still makes me want the Profoto modifier heads with the zoom capabilities still. I think it's still the best overall for that but I wanna see what kind of sales Christmas will bring.

gazwas

Yeah I thought they were pretty impressive too but diving a bit deeper still makes me want the Profoto modifier heads with the zoom capabilities still.
I may be wrong but I never felt the zoom function was all that great on the B1 (same as D1?) as all the light is projected forward due to the covered tube unlike the Pro and Acute heads that have exposed tubes and use the whole dish. Don't get me wrong they do zoom and change the light pattern but not like the traditional Profoto design. Of course there is always the D1/B1 frosted dome but I personally hated them.

gazwas

Thanks for everyones help in this thread! :thumbs:

I've now managed to find two really nice condition F4 heads. Previously I always wondered why a premier brand like Bron use plastic for their heads but now having owned some heads for a while it seems blindingly obvious. The heads are unbelievabley robust, they don't really scratch, dent, heat up or weigh all that much - built to last literally years and years. Now need just to locate one more head for my set of three, especially as this arrived yesterday.

Last edited: