The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bi-head for Elinchrom

ocarlo

greetings,
Have googled but haven't seen any...
I want to take 2 of my Ranger RXs and feed into one head,
to then go into a Chinese lantern-type thingie.
Hanging overhead over a group of people. Outdoors
and to overpower ambient light.
Generator not an option, otherwise, there's a Digital RX 3000w I believe?
If the speed bump is real, will take advantage of that later...
Perhaps a Profoto bi-head with an Eli adapter?

worst case, I'll have to jimmy two RX heads together inside a large lantern,
and hang from a pole on two stands, each side...PITA.

any thoughts, anyone?
btw, shooting on Mamiya RZ, so I'll already be at full open...
thanks.

fotografz

I'm not aware of a Profoto to Elinchrom adapter for use of a battery pack. Probably a custom job if it is even possible.

I have the Profoto Bi-Tube that I use with 2 Profoto D4/2400 Packs ... but not necessarily for the 4800 W/s it could deliver ... instead it allows shorter durations @ 2400 W/s total by setting 1200 W/s or less on each pack. That head has a strong modeling light and a fan if I recall correctly ... which would deplete a battery pack pretty quickly. However, I've never used it with a battery pack so I'm not sure how that would work out.

Why the lantern "thingy" modifier? I think those are designed to light a room with omnidirectional bounce light ... outdoors it seems like it would be a waste of light ... and when you roll down the reflector flaps it isn't very different from a more standard modifier, or perhaps even less efficient.

You may not need 2,200 W/s of diffused light to overpower the sun. I think using a diffused source in outdoor lighting is also wasting light. Plus, due to distance to subject, even a large lantern will be a small, more spectral source when shooting a larger group, so direct flash won't look much different, and it'll increase the light on the subject. A Magnum type reflector or a El 27" or 39" Rotalux Deep Octa with diffusion panels removed will probably deliver 1.5X to 2X light on subject than a Lantern would

Just a thought.

- Marc

ocarlo

thanks Marc for your thoughts.
1. on the battery packs with a bi-tube...never even occurred to me but you're right. I was thinking of two things: having the speed to capture blood spurting out of people (squib effects) while they were also in motion. Secondly, I was thinking of one light source (at 4800ws) that'd be easier to hang over a large spread out group of people.
I do have smaller groupings that I wanted to shoot with the lantern - both for the soft overhead light, but also cuz I might actually include it in the final composition...
2. In the end, overhead silks on frames will probably do the job, though it wont bring the background down in a pleasing manner...
cheers.