The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor Siros Monoblocks...

aztwang

Hello, Thought I would bring this up for discussion as these heads seem to have allot to offer and bring features and quality of Brons flagship Scoro at a very affordable price. They are available in 400ws and 800ws with the option of pocket Wizard trigger or proprietary RF S 2.1 system for triggers. Broncolor has also developed a new wireless (for iPad, iPhone) app to control all your Wi-Fi model Siros heads called Broncontrol. Seems to be a nice full feature app. Take a look at the link below for more info. Im interested in your thoughts and comments.

http://www.bron.ch/broncolor/products/monolights/showproducts/siros/?cHash=f275a5fd977e992b4fec765d4ad305aa

gazwas

The UK's biggest photography show is at the end of March and I'll be having a good look at the Siros when I visit. I had planned on getting a second Scoro pack but really interested if a couple of these could be a cheaper option? Really nice looking bit of kit.

Have tou ordered yours yet?

gazwas

Going to The Photography Show at the NEC in Birmingham this weekend and one of my main reasons for going is to visit the Broncolor stand so will report back when I've had a look at the Siros.

iiiNelson

I looked into this when they were announced. The light looks and sounds amazing in ability. The triggers not so much if you need to sync higher than 1/320 of a second. Perhaps the firmware can be updated to allow for HSS using Pocketwizards though for Canon and Nikon.

Might a deal breaker for any other system (to include other 35mm derived systems that want full functionality or MF that can sync to higher speeds than the transmit of the trigger will allow) though compared to the alternatives from what I can tell. The only triggers that I know of that allow max sync speeds of lead shutter lenses are the Profoto Air and PCB Cyber Commander. There may be others but those are the ones that opening acknowledge that trigger latency/RF isn't a limiting speed factor for their triggers.

gazwas

Broncolor RFS triggers sync to 1/1500sec, identical to the Profoto Air system. Is that what you mean or are you referring to Pocketwizard triggers when used with the Siros? (or Pocketwizard with any manufacturer)

aztwang

I've been able to get 1/2000 on my move packs using PW TT5. I spent a day in custom settings changing different settings in PW program

aztwang

Gazwas I was told yeaterday that delivery on a Siros 800 if ordered today is end of April possibly later? Bron has over 400 units back ordered Dissapointing....

gazwas

Gazwas I was told yeaterday that delivery on a Siros 800 if ordered today is end of April possibly later? Bron has over 400 units back ordered Dissapointing....
They must be proving very popular and rightly so but I'm sure they are worth a short wait. I suppose with any newly released product some initial delay is expected. I waited a five weeks for my Move packs but I think Bron has only a relativly small manufacturing capacity which I think is good in respect product gets easily adapted and improved very easily as for example the case of our Para 133's and the cable exit point we observed.

Don't standard Pocketwizards like the PlusIII have sync speed upto 1/320sec abd maybe what HiredArm is refering to?

iiiNelson

They must be proving very popular and rightly so but I'm sure they are worth a short wait. I suppose with any newly released product some initial delay is expected. I waited a five weeks for my Move packs but I think Bron has only a relativly small manufacturing capacity which I think is good in respect product gets easily adapted and improved very easily as for example the case of our Para 133's and the cable exit point we observed.

Don't standard Pocketwizards like the PlusIII have sync speed upto 1/320sec abd maybe what HiredArm is refering to?
Yeah non TTL PW can't sync faster than 1/320 from everything that I've read. I read somewhere (don't remember the exact article or maybe even the YouTube video) that the latency of the electronics in the RFS2.1 prevented it from actually reaching the top theoretical sync speed but I'd be happy to hear if that was bad information.

Competition is good.

gazwas

Yeah non TTL PW can't sync faster than 1/320 from everything that I've read. I read somewhere (don't remember the exact article or maybe even the YouTube video) that the latency of the electronics in the RFS2.1 prevented it from actually reaching the top theoretical sync speed but I'd be happy to hear if that was bad information.

Competition is good.
Very true, the RFS and AirSync both have a 400ms trigger delay time with the AirSync having a special speed mode to drop it to 200ms but even the Profoto will have light loss in its speed mode at very high camera sync speeds, just less than the Bron.

Being able to sync at 1/1600sec (which they both do) is quite different to clipping the flash burn curve due to sync delay (reducing output) so not a reason to dismiss the RFS triggers. If you often sync at 1/1600sec and need as much power as possible the Profoto might be better., however testing is the only way to find out as it depends on if the peak brightness still happens in the 200ms missed even by the AirSync in speed mode?

iiiNelson

Very true, the RFS and AirSync both have a 400ms trigger delay time with the AirSync having a special speed mode to drop it to 200ms but even the Profoto will have light loss in its speed mode at very high camera sync speeds, just less than the Bron.

Being able to sync at 1/1600sec (which they both do) is quite different to clipping the flash burn curve due to sync delay (reducing output) so not a reason to dismiss the RFS triggers. If you often sync at 1/1600sec and need as much power as possible the Profoto might be better., however testing is the only way to find out as it depends on if the peak brightness still happens in the 200ms missed even by the AirSync in speed mode?
I actually went with the Einstein and Cyber Commander route for now (I only bought one light until I decide if it's the correct route for me.) it can actually sync up to 1/25xx of a second at full power if need be. I don't have a need yet but I am in the habit of future proofing where I can. I haven't decided which route to take though long term. Profoto has the best mount and Phottix is making native Sony stuff.

gazwas

I actually went with the Einstein and Cyber Commander route for now (I only bought one light until I decide if it's the correct route for me.) it can actually sync up to 1/25xx of a second at full power if need be. I don't have a need yet but I am in the habit of future proofing where I can. I haven't decided which route to take though long term. Profoto has the best mount and Phottix is making native Sony stuff.
I know what you mean about future propfing but I mainly shoot architecture and my exposures are usually sub 1/6th second so I've never really had a need to test high sync speed even when I was a Phase and Profoto user. Very much invested in Bron now and where I'm staying. I'm personally enjoying the very compact size of the RFS triggers and control they offer. Good look with the Einstein, its a great unit.