The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto B2

180q

Chad, I don't see any mention of the Profoto Magnum reflector in the link you provided; it seems the testing was with the normal zoom reflector, Buff's PLM, a few others, and a Profoto Telezoom reflector test done by another photographer, not even the author himself.

I have tested informally output levels in studio and on location using a light meter, the B1 with and without glass dome, and the B2----with the Profoto Magnum Reflector. There is a one-stop increase in light output, when using the Magnum, even without the glass dome. The B1 and B2 both have internal reflectors, though quality of light may be better with the dome installed on the B1. Light output will decrease slightly, but you can also use a diffuser with the Magnum reflector to soften the light.

ken
Hmmm, you're right. I could have sworn that he had used the Magnum. At any rate, he's done quite a bit of testing with various reflectors (minus the Magnum).

http://sophastudio.blogspot.com/search?q=b1

kdphotography

The testing protocol of lighting modifiers (from the provided link) leaves a bit to be desired, such as the use of tape to hold modifiers onto the head. But I think more important to take away is that there are lighting modifier options besides those offered by the manufacturer.

The Buff Omni Reflector is an inexpensive reflector, but actually works quite well on the Profoto B1 and B2. Using an adapted Profoto speedring, I was able to attach it to the Omni Reflector; the optional B1 glass dome passes through the opening perfectly. ~$80 for the Omni and it includes a diffusion sock. A grid is available as well.

I'm currently testing for review a rather novel speedbox for on location use, double removable diffusion panels and an available grid---Profoto speedring and works great with both B1 and B2. Not inepxensive, but not attached with tape either. ;)

ken

Swissblad

I'm currently testing for review a rather novel speedbox for on location use, double removable diffusion panels and an available grid---Profoto speedring and works great with both B1 and B2. Not inepxensive, but not attached with tape either. ;)

ken
Any info on this softbox, Ken....?

I was very happy to see that my Lastolite Ezybox series fit to the Profoto OCF ring......;).

Swissblad

Well I'm very impressed by the light quality of the B2's - I've only carried out a few test shots with the 2 head rig using the optional extension cord.... and the system is very easy to use.

Problem.... now I'm drooling for a pair of B1's.......as it would be nice to use our other larger light modifiers.....

:cool:

fotografz

Well I'm very impressed by the light quality of the B2's - I've only carried out a few test shots with the 2 head rig using the optional extension cord.... and the system is very easy to use.

Problem.... now I'm drooling for a pair of B1's ......as it would be nice to use our other larger light modifiers.....

:cool:
Thus begins the side down the slippery slope!:ROTFL:

I'm off to a little job this afternoon by myself. A shoot in an office building where space and headroom will be the real issue. Everything's in one roller bag including the B2 AIR one light kit with cameras/lenses/accessories.

B1's would probably be overkill, perhaps even too big for this job ... so, the little B2 get's its opportunity to shine ... so to speak:eek:

- Marc

Swissblad

Have fun Marc...... ;)

I have to take some pix of the neighbours new baby.... great opportunity to try out the B2's..:cool:

kdphotography

Sorry missed your post. I hope to have my review on the new lighting modifier up in December. It's worthwhile.

Marc noted earlier elsewhere that B&H removed the Acute B600 from it's website listing---a sign of that model being discontinued. Profoto recently removed it from their website, so I guess it is finally official---and I hope a sign of better things to come. I think there is a huge gaping hole in the line-up at present. I would love to see a B2 on steroids and moreso I really would especially love to see basically a lighter B600, with maybe more power too. I'm keeping my B1, but really don't like the weight of the B1 on the lightstand, and with a large modifier and a touch of wind, it becomes a sail. I'm liking the B2 and B600 form factor more....

ken

fotografz

Sorry missed your post. I hope to have my review on the new lighting modifier up in December. It's worthwhile.

Marc noted earlier elsewhere that B&H removed the Acute B600 from it's website listing---a sign of that model being discontinued. Profoto recently removed it from their website, so I guess it is finally official---and I hope a sign of better things to come. I think there is a huge gaping hole in the line-up at present. I would love to see a B2 on steroids and moreso I really would especially love to see basically a lighter B600, with maybe more power too. I'm keeping my B1, but really don't like the weight of the B1 on the lightstand, and with a large modifier and a touch of wind, it becomes a sail. I'm liking the B2 and B600 form factor more....

ken
Which mod Ken?

We were just discussing all this on Photo.net's Wedding Forum ... same opinion that the B1*, as compact and well designed as it is, can be too top heavy for use on a stand outside with larger mods (same for most any mono-block) ... and the B2 can fall short in taming the midday sun when it's backlighting a subject, or you have a really hot background with the subject in the shade. So, you're right IMO, there is a hole in the Profoto highly portable line-up with the removal of the Acute B600 AIR Lithium pack.

Right now, the B600 as key, with the B2 as fill, is a pretty sweet set-up (850 total available W/s with no power robbing extensions necessary). I like the B600 head with glass dome, and hope the B600 replacement uses that head ... or one like it but maybe with LED patches for a modeling light like Elinchrom uses with the Quadra so it draws less energy.

Since I sold off all my big D2400 Packs and Acute 2400 heads, the B600 is the only head I'll use for boomed overhead lighting (where the B1s are too big and heavy out on the end of a overhead boom dangling on a baby drop-down pin over a model's head:shocked:). The B2 head can't handle the big mods for this sort of application, but the B600 head can.

We'll see what Profoto does next.

- Marc

*I have used the B1 AIR's as much in studio as on location so far (two 500s and one 1000). They can be placed on set with no cords running all over the place, or in the shot when placed behind the subject. They have been super useful for interior work where power outlets are hard to find or not in the right place. I've taken them to wedding receptions many times ... tuck them into a corner with no power cords for guests to snag. The B1-1000 can kick out enough to work in nuclear sun situations (assistant holding the B1-1000 light on a monopod I converted to a painter's pole type portable boom arm).

Swissblad

An in-between system would be great.

For most of my use the B1's are too large - and as stated - the B2 cannot handle large light modifiers.....

Hopefully Profoto reads this thread....;)

FelixWu

I wonder why Profoto didn't just update the AcuteB2 with B1's functionalities. It will be sweet. Make it 800w/s to sit between B4 and B1. There are too many flat head designs in the lineup at the moment so hopefully Profoto can release the dome head models (in one of Broncolor's latest videos they absolutely dismissed the recessed design). And hopefully hopefully the pack is compatible with existing heads and can be used both in studio and on location. Last but not least let it be affordable.

With regarding to light modifiers...how about some better designed parabolic softboxes/reflectors?

On top of that, the adaptor for existing B1s...

kdphotography

I wonder why Profoto didn't just update the AcuteB2 with B1's functionalities. It will be sweet. Make it 800w/s to sit between B4 and B1. There are too many flat head designs in the lineup at the moment so hopefully Profoto can release the dome head models (in one of Broncolor's latest videos they absolutely dismissed the recessed design). And hopefully hopefully the pack is compatible with existing heads and can be used both in studio and on location. Last but not least let it be affordable.

With regarding to light modifiers...how about some better designed parabolic softboxes/reflectors?

On top of that, the adaptor for existing B1s...
And don't forget----keep it as light and portable as the Acute2 B600 pack. I'll place bets something is coming with an update. But affordable from Profoto? :ROTFL: I guess it's all relative... It's been an expensive year already, but I'd love to see an upgraded Acute 2 B600....

ken

Swissblad

This morning my old Broncolor Impacts showed their age (≈ 20 years) and left me in the lurch.... no alternative but to pack out the B2's and carry on with the shoot....

Needless to say - we were all more than impressed!

:thumbup: