The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Holy Moley - Studio fan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Holy Mole - Studio fan

heck for that kind of money I will swish a big piece of foam core all day long for ya. Ouch

routlaw

You could probably rent time in a wind tunnel cheaper than this, geez!

Rob

John Grow

Wow, we found one at Costco that uses an IR remote and has 3 speeds. I can change the volume of the "breeze" without leaving the camera stand. It was about 60 bucks if I recall.

D

DougDolde

Think Movie Studio Equipment. ie, Hollywood.

O

Oxide Blu

Yup, Hollywood, unions. Figure the cost includes a union built motor, union built button, union built electrical cord, union guy painting the stand, union guy put the thing in a union built cardboard box, union guy to take the advertising pictures, ... All of that union stuff ads up.

The price of the same fan, non-union involved, $39.99.

LJL

Oxide Blu,
First off, I realize that this thread is more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Secondly, I am not involved with any of these unions that you mention, and that brings things to my point. None of these supposed unions that you rail at as being the cause for the high cost of the Mole Richardson gear are "Hollywood" unions. More to the point, M-R is a Hollywood founded, built and supported company. They build seriously heavy use equipment for the movie industry. My guess is that they have been able to command such high prices because movies are done on budgets of OPM (other people's money), and it is an industry notoriously famous for being over the top and over budget on almost everything....union or not.

So, rather than "blame" the unions for the high prices on M-R stuff, maybe think about the industry history for that pricing. That fan probably does not cost nearly what it is being sold for, but that is more likely the result of the seller into the movie industry, not the union wages that may or may not be part of the build process. And, I would love to buy one that could do the job it does for $39.99....from anybody, anywhere ;-)

LJ

robsteve

Subscriber

Think Movie Studio Equipment. ie, Hollywood.
Actually, that is a great idea. A while back when looking for some gaffers tape and cinifoil, I found a rental place in town, not too far from my house that sold that stuff plus rented pretty well anything you needed. At the time I was setting up to light a basketball arena and had bought assorted manfroto clamps and magic arms. When I was in this movie equipment rental place I found they has all theses things that I had paid hundreds of dollars for, available for rent.

Robert

O

Oxide Blu

Oxide Blu,
First off, I realize that this thread is more tongue-in-cheek than anything.
Good, because my comment was intended to be tongue n cheek. ;)

That said, fans are the lowest of all possible low technology. They are a motor and a screw (blades). I'm guessing the most expensive part of that fan is the motor and it prob costs less than 1% of the total cost of that unit. Let's give then room for variable voltage, isolated windings -- ok, 2%.

ETA: fans intended to be used in a corrosive or explosive environment are a little bit different, costs oodles more, but then no one makes movies in such environments.

Frank Doorhof

We're using tristar fans in the studio, they are very nice and change output constantly or fixed and have a remote.
Costs arround $450.00

I think however that the fan mentioned here is in a totally different league.
For example the tristar is very nice for normal effects and hairs but I ain't able to let a coat go up in the wind.... (too little power for heavy clothing) I think the fans for that kind of money can do that, or at least I hope :D

C

coolfotog

A Black and Decker rechargeable leaf blower at $39.95 is this industry's best kept secret- powerful but most importantly, highly selective, variable and directional output. For Studio model and fashion shoots? Can't think of anything better. Try it. You'll love it.

You could get three of these 36" "Air Cannon" fans for that money, and have enough money left over to make some union-grade stands:

A steal at $1,727.

Just make sure your studio is wired to support the 2hp 3-phase motors, nail your model's feet to the floor, and you're all set. They probably won't dim your studio lights more than 1/2stop or so. :D

R

Ranger 9

A Black and Decker rechargeable leaf blower at $39.95 is this industry's best kept secret- powerful but most importantly, highly selective, variable and directional output. For Studio model and fashion shoots? Can't think of anything better. Try it. You'll love it.
Great tip, but I couldn't find a B&D unit at quite that low a price. Is there a specific model # you have in mind?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I tried an attic fan once too. Cheap and it worked, but the noise was horrible...

C

coolfotog

the rechargeable model is strong but not annoyingly noisy. the advantage of electric leaf blowers is its portability and small snoot directionality- very selective stream scope thus highly controllable. you could have the model's hair flying but her dress steady, for example.