The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon remote flash with non Nikon Cameras?

Paratom

Does anybody know if I can use multiple SB800 or SB900 in A mode on a non-Nikon Camera?
The SB800 works finein A-mode on my M8 and my Sinar Hy6 - would it also work to remotely control a second or third Nikon flash?

R

Ranger 9

Does anybody know if I can use multiple SB800 or SB900 in A mode on a non-Nikon Camera?
The SB800 works finein A-mode on my M8 and my Sinar Hy6 - would it also work to remotely control a second or third Nikon flash?
I just tried this the other night with an SB-800, two SB-600s, and a Panasonic G1.

The short answer is "no". :-(

I put the SB-800 on the G1, set it to Commander mode, and then used the Commander-mode settings to put all three units in A mode.

When I pressed the shutter release on the G1, the SB-800 didn't even fire.

I then tried connecting the SB-800's PC outlet to a PocketWizard and firing it via another PocketWizard on the G1. This time the SB-800 would fire, but the other units would not.

Mind you, this was just one try on one camera which in itself is highly electronified (for example, the G1 knows when you've got a flash unit in the shoe and won't set its shutter speed to higher than its sync speed -- even if the flash unit is non-dedicated.)

But my take is that using an SB-800 in Commander mode to control other units only works on a Nikon CLS-compatible camera, even if you're using Commander mode to set the flash units to A mode rather than TTL.

I would guess that you could use as many individual SB-800s or -900s set to A mode if you triggered them with radio or optical slave units. But then each units would only control its own output, just like using non-dedicated "sensor-eye" flash units.

R

Ranger 9

Have you tried using Nikon's SU-4?
No, but I'll try that next.

Prediction: It won't work either. I suspect that the data-processing horsepower needed for auto remote flash resides in the camera body; the flash units and controllers just handle the unit-to-unit communication.

But I'll check it out and let you know.

atanabe

If you set the Nikon SB800 to SU4 the unit will act as a "Remote" and you can trigger the flash through any flash unit as the Nikon units also have a photo slave built in. You will then have a manual flash, no TTL, but you can adjust the output from full power to 1/128. The good news is that with digital, you can see the results immediately. This means that any flash, even a cheap unit, mounted on a camera or onboard (tried my C-Lux2) can trigger the flash. Auto mode (by selecting the Mode button) will not work as there is no reference for the flash.

Regards,
Al

fotografz

I just tried this the other night with an SB-800, two SB-600s, and a Panasonic G1.

The short answer is "no". :-(

I put the SB-800 on the G1, set it to Commander mode, and then used the Commander-mode settings to put all three units in A mode.

When I pressed the shutter release on the G1, the SB-800 didn't even fire.

I then tried connecting the SB-800's PC outlet to a PocketWizard and firing it via another PocketWizard on the G1. This time the SB-800 would fire, but the other units would not.

Mind you, this was just one try on one camera which in itself is highly electronified (for example, the G1 knows when you've got a flash unit in the shoe and won't set its shutter speed to higher than its sync speed -- even if the flash unit is non-dedicated.)

But my take is that using an SB-800 in Commander mode to control other units only works on a Nikon CLS-compatible camera, even if you're using Commander mode to set the flash units to A mode rather than TTL.

I would guess that you could use as many individual SB-800s or -900s set to A mode if you triggered them with radio or optical slave units. But then each units would only control its own output, just like using non-dedicated "sensor-eye" flash units.
Doesn't work on a Sony A900 either. I tried it.

fotografz

Look at the set-ups from Paramount Cords using regular Pocket Wizards ... If you're just using the flash units on A, this may offer much better distance and reliable firing than anything from the camera companies.

www.paramountcords.com

I'm looking to do a set-up with 2 or 3 SB900s ... once I figure out what cords go where.

The Strobe Dolly Bracket they have is interesting if you also use a flash in the hot shoe.