The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

portable battery system

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes and i am already using the Skyports so for me this is quite interesting. Little pricey though . But having the small form factor over my Ranger is a plus

LJL

They do look interesting. Seems like they (elinchrom) realized that folks will want to use modifiers and they are coming out with something to handle that part as the new heads are not able to take many (any?) other Elinchrom modifiers like the Octa and stuff. The heads for these do look compact, and the battery unit appears to be a lot smaller than the Ranger unit, so it could be a much more compact set to cart around.

I agree with Marc, normal monos may do the job quite well for a lot less, but they are not as portable or the added cost/weight of a battery to run them changes things.

LJ

dfarkas

Workshop Member
They do look interesting. Seems like they (elinchrom) realized that folks will want to use modifiers and they are coming out with something to handle that part as the new heads are not able to take many (any?) other Elinchrom modifiers like the Octa and stuff. The heads for these do look compact, and the battery unit appears to be a lot smaller than the Ranger unit, so it could be a much more compact set to cart around.

I agree with Marc, normal monos may do the job quite well for a lot less, but they are not as portable or the added cost/weight of a battery to run them changes things.

LJ
The largest modifier you can safely use with the adapter is the 39" Octa softbox. Beyond that and modifier weight gets to be too much for the adapter.

David

LJL

The largest modifier you can safely use with the adapter is the 39" Octa softbox. Beyond that and modifier weight gets to be too much for the adapter.

David
Understood that part, David. I guess the question becomes just how well they will handle the 39" Octa, which is one of the more popular devices used from Elinchrom. Smaller reflectors and small softboxes or umbrellas should be a piece of cake, but larger softboxes or the bigger Octa are heavier, and can apply too much torque to the mount of the smaller head, hence the need for the special support bracket. Still think it they are very nice units. Very small and quite portable looking.

LJ

fotografz

David
Unless it's my 8' Octa which has an integrated mount so all the head/adapter need do is support themselves. The Octa holds the head, not the other way around. 400/ w/s works even on that huge Octa, I've done it before. ... but that defeats the whole portable nature doesn't it?

I'd just use these with 40" umbrellas or bounced.

How long is the cord from box to head? The one shown with the girl holding it looks too short to be able to place the heads apart and up high. Are extensions available?

Erik Five

Mmmm... Quadras looks pretty interesting. Now I need to find out what kind of deal my local Elinchrom guy can get me :D

robmac

I think Frank's last post was referring to the modeling lights on the Quadras vs. a mains-powered unit.

Question - how many Ranger/Quadra, etc users run with an asymmetric pack vs say two symmetric packs for more output control? Just doing some research on the packs and fixed-ratio asymmetric power output just seems like a PITA. What am I missing?

fotografz

I think Frank's last post was referring to the modeling lights on the Quadras vs. a mains-powered unit.

Question - how many Ranger/Quadra, etc users run with an asymmetric pack vs say two symmetric packs for more output control? Just doing some research on the packs and fixed-ratio asymmetric power output just seems like a PITA. What am I missing?
I would think that the idea of these is "small and portable" ... a step better than Quantums and a bunch of on-camera flashes used off camera on stands (like I use now for a set-up that I can quickly manage by myself.) I see them as a more modern replacement for Lumidynes/Normans, and the like.

Comparing them to standard packs, or more powerful battery packs, is comparing apples and watermelons.

Not to say that two units wouldn't provide more control ... but if that were the objective I'd probably go for 2 Profoto 600Bs which only have one outlet. I sold my 600B precisely because it only had one outlet. I'd rather have this set-up for that kind of portable, supplemental work ... as long as longer extension cords for the heads are available. Otherwise I'd use my Hensel 1200 w/s Porty.

Modeling lights are power drainers on battery powered portable units ... not many provide much in the way of modeling lights even on the bigger units. 50 watt bulbs rather than 200 watts is common.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My only complaint about Profoto B's is they are not weatherproofed at all --- a tiny bit of overspray or drizzle on top then snap, crackle, pop and they're DOA... LOVE Profoto lights, modifiers and heads, but went with the Rangers when I needed a battery unit. If money were no object, I'd have a set of Profoto heads wired up for my Ranger packs -- now that would be ideal! :thumbs:

robmac

Marc,

Thanks. Doing some more research and I can see the attraction of the A system - ability to use 2 lights at 2:1 ratio, 1 light at higher power range or 1 light with lower power range (min and max).

Am I correct in recalling (I think) that the cabling of these systems normally taxes the output by out 1 stop vs. a similar WS studio strobe?

fotografz

Marc,

Thanks. Doing some more research and I can see the attraction of the A system - ability to use 2 lights at 2:1 ratio, 1 light at higher power range or 1 light with lower power range (min and max).

Am I correct in recalling (I think) that the cabling of these systems normally taxes the output by out 1 stop vs. a similar WS studio strobe?
That's a good question. I use a 30' extention on the Hensel Porty and have never noticed that happening ... but then, I wasn't looking for it either.

I just got off the phone with Gary at Paramount cords, and am trying to rig up two Metz Potato Mashers for stand use (a bit more juice that the SB900s or Sony flashes at weddings). Metz's off-camera system is a bit confusing ... and it isn't easy to figure out how to mount them on stands with umbrellas.

Anything to keep from spending more money right now.

robmac

Just curious - thought I'd read somewhere that the resistance of the long leads (vs a studio unit) between the capacitor circuits and the tube rob a bit of power.

That said, fretting about an extra stop (if even true) when you're getting 1100-1200 WS out of a weather resistant, remotely controlled remote pack with todays (uber clean) ISO capabilities would be simply finding something to complain about.