The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

portable battery system

Frank Doorhof

It depends on why you use it.
When you want to fight the sun, every stop you can squeeze out of a pack is of vital importance. That's why we use the maxispots at the moment that give an ENOURMOUS lightoutput.

robmac

Good point

Maxispot - me thinks the Elinchrom maxispot long/narrow-throw 29 deg polished surface reflector. Literature claims you can gain a spot (narrow throw
of course). Looks like a slightly longer, 'choked' (at lip to get 29 deg) polished version of the 50 deg long-throw unit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/256924-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26149_Maxi_Spot_Reflector_29.html

It depends on why you use it.
When you want to fight the sun, every stop you can squeeze out of a pack is of vital importance. That's why we use the maxispots at the moment that give an ENOURMOUS lightoutput.

robmac

Looking at the info from Elinchrom, like with the BD's and color effecting the degree spread of light (white being wider), it's the polished vs. textured silver surface of the MS that tightens the spread - not a choked front lip (the way I thought it appeared in some pics).

What's also interesting is that according to Elinchrom (see Jack's link), moving from the small to large silver BD has a notable effect on light spread 55 deg to 64 deg but not so in white - 80 deg to 82.

Cool - shows the notable difference color/degree of polish the interior of a reflector can make to light spread.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sidebar note for Elinchrom: Note that with Elinchrom, the Beauty Dish style deflectors mount in the umbrella hole, so you can use them to tune the light pattern with *ANY* reflector :thumbs:. The kit includes two mount posts, a silver and a gold deflector, and then it is very easy to mount any homemade one on a post too -- like a translucent or white tupperware lid... (hehehe)

Cheers,

robmac

I actually have a 53" octa with the deflectors enroute to go with my 70x70, so looking fwd to seeing it in action.

fotografz

Marc,

I'm not Frank, but I'll answer anyway :D.

It is a focused reflector that is perfect for pushing a lot of light to one area when you need to, and is way more portable than an optical spot head. It's kind of like a Profoto Magnum, only tighter and brighter:
http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=94

Duh, just saw Rob's post above...

Cheers,
Thanks Rob and Jack. That part I kinda knew ... I thought there was something new in lights or something ... not just the modifier.

Ben Rubinstein

That's a good question. I use a 30' extention on the Hensel Porty and have never noticed that happening ... but then, I wasn't looking for it either.

I just got off the phone with Gary at Paramount cords, and am trying to rig up two Metz Potato Mashers for stand use (a bit more juice that the SB900s or Sony flashes at weddings). Metz's off-camera system is a bit confusing ... and it isn't easy to figure out how to mount them on stands with umbrellas.

Anything to keep from spending more money right now.

Marc, this is what you are looking for, cheap and easy solution.

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=6543&1=Lastolite+Tilthead+for+Metz

Sorry I can't find it for you on B&H.

fultonpics

the heads that come with the profoto 600B are junk--the mounting hinge are very poorly designed and break. (speaking from first hand experience with three of them). 7B's are the unit mostly used in NYC these days on pro shoots---easy to rent and fairly dependable. and yes, if you stick them in a pond they will fry very nicely.