The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New book: The Hot Shoe Diaries, Joe McNally

JimCollum

i just picked up a copy, and have been impressed by the info so far. The basis of the book is using only SLR strobes, usually off camera. I'll be working my way thru the book, and will post some results of his setups. Anyone else get this book yet?

woodyspedden

Hey Jim

I haven't seen the Joe McNally book but Nikon Mall has a DVD featuring Bob Krist, with able assistance from Joe which covers the same topic. Well worth the money to see.

Woody

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have it too. Although I'm not sure why since I rarely fire up my flash. But his irreverent style and practical approach is easy to read. I've only been through the first few chapters but it does inspire one to think beyond the hot shoe. Lots of amazing effects with simple strobes like the Nikon SB800/900.

LJL

I have several colleagues that are hellbent on a "minimalist" approach, using the smaller flash units. Made the recommendation to them to check it out. Have not heard back from them yet, and I have not gotten the book myself yet. I like the concept, and I have several 550EX and 580EX units, plus an ST-E2 controller for my Canon gear, plus way too many small flash "modifiers" to help reduce that tiny harsh light to something a bit softer and wrapping. Not cutting it. However, I do think that this type of lighting has its place for the kind of effect it produces....just have not found the combination that I like yet....hence sticking with studio flash gear instead. With all that said, I still feel it important to know and maybe be able to use some of these techniques and gear when one does not have the big guns available, or does not want to cart that much around....like being able to work without assistants. So, I am interested in what folks think and maybe learn from the book before I pile yet another one onto the stack of stuff being read and looked at.

LJ

robmac

Enroute from Amazon. Loved his prior book. One of the few 'instructional' photo books that you actually enjoy pulling out every once and awhile and re-reading. Never gets stale-dated. Great self-depreciating style.

R

Ranger 9

Fans of aspirationally erudite snarkiness may enjoy the review of The Hot Shoe Diaries that I just completed and posted on my blog.

Feel free to cross-post this link elsewhere, as the sound of virtual crickets over on my blog is getting a little eerie.