The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elinchrome light questions

bavanor

All you Elinchrome owners do you know the difference between the Ranger RX and the Digital RX systems? What does one give you over the other?

Aaron

LJL

Aaron,
Though not an Elinchrom user, aside from their Rotalux Octaboxes, the first obvious difference between the Ranger RX and the Digital RX systems is power source. The Ranger system is battery operated for portable use. The Digital RX is an AC/mains power pack to which you connect heads. The output, recycle times, total power output, range of power control (number of stops), etc., will be greater on the pack and head system than the battery powered system for the most part.

Elinchrom has an updated site (http://www.elinchrom.com/) that has a lot of very good information on their systems. It is definitely worth the look if you are interested in these very good lighting systems. Others, like Guy or Bob, may be able to add more, since they use Elinchrom stuff. I have Profotos, but do use the Elinchrom light modifiers for some of my shooting, just not the heads, packs, or battery systems. If you need portable, the Elinchrom Ranger RX or their new Quadra system is very nice. If you are in a studio, or setting where you have power, the Digital RX packs with Digital heads would be a good choice also.

LJ

bavanor

Thanks LJL for the reply. Aaahh, that little bit helps me a lot. Though for some reason my brain was not processing that information from elinchrom's website.

For my use I would want the battery power capability.

Another question, it seems to me that you can only hook up 2 lights to the Rangers, is this correct or is there some splitter cable to hook up more lights?

Aaron

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Two lights per pack and Elinchrom does not make a splitter, but some third party may. On the packs, you can buy them as symmetrical output -- or equal power at each head -- or asymmetrical which is 33% power to one head and 67% to the other for a 1:2 lighting ratio.

Additionally, you can mix A and S heads. The A (Action) head fires in half the time as the S (Standard) head, so when you combine an A head with an S head, the effective output of the S head is cut in half. Thus, these two heads on a Symmetrical pack will generate a 1:2 lighting ratio. However when used on an Asymmetrical pack, they can generate a 1:1 ratio OR a 1:4 ratio depending on which ports you plug the heads into. Maybe a bit confusing to read here, but definitely adds flexibility to the system :thumbs:

bavanor

Thanks Jack, that is some valuable information on the heads and packs. Something to play with there and to think about.

Aaron

A

aprillove20

Anyway, the Ranger system is battery operated for portable use.