The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645Hi,

David Klepacki

When you say TTL ring flash are you talking about the now discontinued Sunpak DX-12? I've been looking for one of those for my Rollei 6008. Are there any other choices?
Thanks,
Eric
Hi Eric,

Yes, it is the Sunpak DX-12. I am not sure if it is discontinued or not. I got mine about a year ago (brand new in store). If it is now discontinued, it is a shame because it works like a charm on the Contax.

I checked the DX-12 manual, and there is no TTL support for the Rollei 6008. It does look like you would be able to use it in non-TTL mode with a PC sync cord via the STD-1 adapter.

I looked long and hard, and could not find any other portable (TTL or not) ring flashes that would fit the larger lens sizes for medium format.

gogopix

Subscriber
When you say TTL ring flash are you talking about the now discontinued Sunpak DX-12? I've been looking for one of those for my Rollei 6008. Are there any other choices?
Thanks,
Eric
was going to ask as well, I usually rely on bounce flash and close the second fill flash on my Contax 380. For event shooting (black tie affairs etc. ) you gotta look cool, not like a softball tourney photographer with gaffer tape all over!

however a simple BLACK (got that Sinar, BLACK, as in SChwartz, noir, cherney, nero, SI DAM) ring flash of any sort would work.

Victor

Last edited:

David Klepacki

was going to ask as well, I usually rely on bounce flash and close the second fill flash on my Contax 380. For event shooting (black tie affairs etc. ) you gotta look cool, not like a hick softball tourney photographer with gaffer tape all over!

however a simple BLACK (got that Sinar, BLACK, as in SChwartz, noir, cherney, nero, SI DAM) ring flash of any sort would work.

Victor
Victor, I think you mean to comment on the color of the digital back, not the ring flash. Everything is black in the setup that I show, except for the sinar back, which is that Sinar green color. I agree, that I would also prefer a black back, but people facing the camera never really notice nor comment on the color of the back. Wait until you see the color of the Hasselblad CF backs...

Also, bounce flash does not fix the shadow problems in my previous posts.

fotografz

I agree that everyone has their own needs, so we should not try to justify why one system is any better than another. I also use multiple systems for exactly this reason.

Here is one reason why I still like my Contax 645. It allows me to use a compact, portable (and inexpensive) TTL ring flash. With the built-in flash meter of the Contax 645, the image is pretty much nailed with the first shot. In many situations, I just don't have the time, space nor luxury of setting up any diffusers and panels, and in many cases this little ring flash saves the day.

I don't know of any other autofocus medium format system, whether 645 or 66, that can do this. The TTL ring flash is even more useful in macro situations, to provide even illumination and avoid harsh shadows at such close range.

Here is an example of my setup (sorry for the poor quality as I just snapped it with a cheap digicam). Of course, it is easily hand holdable with just the flash bracket.
Nice rig.

FYI, the current Hasselblad H2F has a built-in flash meter, is digital compatible with CF backs (and anyone else who bothers to make an adapter), which in turn can be used on any other MF camera via an iAdapter system ... except my freaking 203FE with FE lenses ... LOL.

Which begs the question why it couldn't if the Sinar can?

David Klepacki

Nice rig.

FYI, the current Hasselblad H2F has a built-in flash meter, is digital compatible with CF backs (and anyone else who bothers to make an adapter), which in turn can be used on any other MF camera via an iAdapter system ... except my freaking 203FE with FE lenses ... LOL.

Which begs the question why it couldn't if the Sinar can?
Yeah, this ring flash is just so lightweight and easily fits into any pack because it is so thin. I checked the accessory list, and there is an adapter for Hasselblad cameras, but the annotation is vague. For Hasselblad, it says it will work with 500ELX, 503CX, 553ELX and any other TTL capable model. So, I can't be sure if it would work on the H2F or 203FE. I do not have this adapter, so I cannot check it for you.

fotografz

Yeah, this ring flash is just so lightweight and easily fits into any pack because it is so thin. I checked the accessory list, and there is an adapter for Hasselblad cameras, but the annotation is vague. For Hasselblad, it says it will work with 500ELX, 503CX, 553ELX and any other TTL capable model. So, I can't be sure if it would work on the H2F or 203FE. I do not have this adapter, so I cannot check it for you.
Thanks David, connections for that ring flash adapter to Hasselblad are probably the dual sync cord type that plug into the leaf shutter sync port on the C lenses and the side TTL port on those TTL bodies, up to and including the 503CW ... they are all the same. The H system uses a Metz module system and there are no sync ports on the HC lenses.

I currently use 2 different Ring Lights for MF work ... Profoto and Hensel.

The Profoto is large, and primarily a studio unit. I use it as much for aux. lighting as I do as a "Ring Light" with the camera mounted in it since it is very flat and can be layed under a translucent white cove for bottom lighting. Very versatile with many different reflectors available.

The Hensel is a bit smaller and made of Carbon fiber with a built-in handle. I use that one for location work with a Hensel Porty package.

Neither are as compact and portable as the unit you show. For non-commercial highly mobile applications I use a Canon ring light with a 1DsMKIII which is similar in configuration to your unit. Nice for Macro Fill.

fotografz

was going to ask as well, I usually rely on bounce flash and close the second fill flash on my Contax 380. For event shooting (black tie affairs etc. ) you gotta look cool, not like a softball tourney photographer with gaffer tape all over!

Victor
Looks like there could be a nice "Cottage Industry" refinishing Sinar and Hasselblad CF backs to be ... black ... LOL!

The best looking backs on a Contax 645 that I've seen to date are the Phase one units ... Irakly's set up looks like the camera and back where made for one another ... and no battery hanging off the bottom of the back like the Leaf units. Nice industrial design.

The CFV back looks exactly like a Hasselblad film back on a 200 or 500 series camera, chrome and all ... if only they had made a 22 meg version this time around. Rats !!!

PeterA

I think the Contax is a very pretty camara - and yes I agree that the Phase One backs look as if they were made for the Contax. Very much enjoying the 80 f2.

irakly

I think the Contax is a very pretty camara - and yes I agree that the Phase One backs look as if they were made for the Contax. Very much enjoying the 80 f2.
peter! you have a rubber lens hood???? only sailors use rubber!

PeterA

Irakly - heheheh...it is how it came - got a spare metal one? :)
I really LOVE the way this lens 'paints'.
I also have a 35/45/80/120/140 and a 210 to test with a couple of excellent bodies and a P21. Loking to get a P25 or P25+ swap.
tell me if you dont mind giving away secret secrets...- what are your favourite lenses for this system - apart from 80? What are the MUST haves?

irakly

peter, in my opinion, the real strength of the system is in uniformly high quality of lenses. at the same time, 45, 55 and 80 has distinct signatures at apertures below 5.6. the secretest secret of the system is that you can safely get rid of 210 and buy a 1.4x converter instead. surprisingly, 210 is not as good as everything else in the lineup. a lens that you might find interesting is zeiss jena 2.8/180 mc sonnar. of course, you will have to live with stopped-down metering and no af, but what a lens!
as for the lens hood... if you cannot find the standard petal hood, another elegant option is a 72-86 ring plus hood 4 from a contax hood system. the beauty of it is that there is a lens cap that goes on the hood, so you can keep the hood on at all times. another neat feature is that you can put in on a polarizing filter and adjust it by rotating the hood as opposed to putting your finger inside of the bayonet mounted one.

PeterA

Irakly - thanks for the info - wondering best place to source stuff for the dead Contax system? Ebay?

gogopix

Subscriber
open your check book
there are a lot of Contax lenses FS right here.
otherwise, find on ebay either reputable resellers (that is camera store like ACE Photo) who sell, or Kurland etc.

then also, I have had luck with photographers retiring or MIOSTAKENLY selling thinking they are going to buy something better :ROTFL:

SO, Peter, what do YOU drive?

regrads
Victor

woodyspedden

:shocked: So, if I have this right, we eliminate AF, power issues, sync speed, and most of the other stuff that makes a 645 a reasonable application choice ... and we're left with a ... drum roll ... Hasselbald 203FE ... which has lens IQ that equals, and in many cases, kills the Contax 645 lenses. Ironically, also a dead system, but the company that made it is still directly handling repairs, and I can get parts overnight. Slap a Sinar 33 meg back on it and you're off to the races ... as long as you don't need AF ... which I guess we don't. :LOL:
Marc

Glad to hear your opinion of the 203FE. It is going to be my next purchase as i can use all of my CFE lenses with it as well as the Hassy 110 2.0. I can use my current CFV back with it and ultimately go on to probably a Sinar higher density back.

Thanks for the education

Woody

David Klepacki

Marc

Glad to hear your opinion of the 203FE. It is going to be my next purchase as i can use all of my CFE lenses with it as well as the Hassy 110 2.0. I can use my current CFV back with it and ultimately go on to probably a Sinar higher density back.

Thanks for the education

Woody
Finally....you guys are seeing the advantages of the Sinar with the Hassy 200 gear. Congrats!