The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo leveling base GS5121lvl

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Does anyone have any experience with the Gitzo leveling base. The copy that I have arived from B&H without instructions, and I don't seem to be able to unlock it.

Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Woody:

You "unscrew" the post on the bottom and then you can swivel it in its base and then tighten that post to lock it into position.

If you were asking how to mount it, it replaces the flat top plate or center column of your tripod. To swap it in, you loosen the bolt on the side of the tripod at the top plate, pull out the existing center column or top plate, insert the leveling base then re-tighten the clamp screw.

Oh, and the lever on the side of the level head is to force tighten whatever tripod head you mount on top of it.

MRfanny

sorry to dig an old thread up but I can't get a clear answer as to whether it comes with its own bowl mount and if it does, can the leveling base be swapped out for a fluid head?

cheers.

stephengilbert

You might look at the Really Right Stuff leveling base. It comes with a 75mm bowl and an easily removable center. It works on some Gitzo tripods.