The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Mamiya lens for 645?

R

rastas

Hi all! My transition from Mamiya RZ and V mount P25 to a M mount digital back and Mamiya 645 lens is just about complete. On the Mamiya 645 I will use a 35mm af lens, a hassy 110mm f2 planar lens, and want to buy one more - which one?

Hoping for opinions on which Mamiya AF lens is the sharpest: 45mm, 55mm or 80mm? Or is there an older manual focus lens in this range that is even sharper? Or another maker's lens with an adapter?

Opinions welcome.

Dale Allyn

Are you planning to buy the newest generation "D" lenses? Or the previous "non-D" versions?

Of the three that you list, I would suggest that the 80mm of either version is quite good, with the newer "D" version winning in a comparison test; and the 55mm generally trumps the 45mm of the non-D version (I own both). The new 45mm ("D" version) may be better, but one would do well to study each copy carefully.

A bit more info on the specific lens versions that you're considering will likely get you some more detailed feedback. :)

R

rastas

As I mentioned, I'm open to any type of lens that will attach to a Mamiya AFD: the Af lenses, the newer D lenses, the manual focus lenses, the other-maker's lenses....

fotografz

Hi all! My transition from Mamiya RZ and V mount P25 to a M mount digital back and Mamiya 645 lens is just about complete. On the Mamiya 645 I will use a 35mm af lens, a hassy 110mm f2 planar lens, and want to buy one more - which one?

Hoping for opinions on which Mamiya AF lens is the sharpest: 45mm, 55mm or 80mm? Or is there an older manual focus lens in this range that is even sharper? Or another maker's lens with an adapter?

Opinions welcome.
If you do not care about AF and auto aperture shooting, I'd opt for a Zeiss 40/4 CFE IF ... but wear safety glasses when viewing images or it'll slice your retina's with it's razor sharp results ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My vote would be for a older manual focus Mamiya 50mm shift lens as it would give that tweener focal, is very sharp and of course adds some versatility to your kit ;)