The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need emergency phase one battery help!!

R

rastas

Any of you ever experience this:

I shipped my Phase One P25 back along with batteries and charger from west coast to east coast. The receiver on east coast just tried to use the back on his hassy V series, but is having issues.

He can use it fine in tethered mode, but when he puts a battery in, the battery icon on camera blinks. When he takes a picture, he gets an error message saying "battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

He had them charging for more than three hours. One battery on charger says 75%, the other says 100%, but he still gets this problem.

Could the batteries somehow have gotten depleted during shipment? (went air, sent in that pelican case....

Any insight appreciated.
RObert

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Something does not sound right,
but the charger might need to be reset.
Take the batteries out of the charger, unplug the power brick from the charger,
wait 15 seconds or so, plug the brick back into the charger, then plug the batteries into the charger.
DO NOT plug the charger in to its power brick when batteries are installed in the charger. Sometimes it gets confused.
-bob

R

rastas

I'll have him try that Bob. Thanks. Hopefully it will work.

R

rastas

A new battery, bought today, was charged on charger, put in back after it reached 100%, but still get a blinking low battery icon. Anyone?

R

rastas

He cleaned both contacts on all batteries, and the back itself with qtip. Both were clean. He bought new battery, charged it to 100 percent, and still the battery icon on back blinks, showing empty.

Could the charger be damaging batteries somehow? Back works fine in tethered mode.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a problem with the battery contacts on the back -- even if they're clean they could have failed internally... Stupid question, but you are sure he's inserting the battery fully into the back?

R

rastas

He says battery is going into the back correctly, but I'll have him check again. He cleaned contacts on batteries and back with qtip, no residue whatsoever - clean. the back is like new..... this is literally a $6400 question. Anyone else?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A few other thoughts:

First: In the menu, you can set the back to be powered from the battery or "AUTOdetect." I assume it's currently set to AUTO, but wonder what happens if he manually chooses battery?

Second thought: What happens if he removes the back from his camera body? Will the back power up with the battery? If so, it could be an issue with his body interfering with the back pins.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Then it sounds like a back that's got a DOA battery connection issue and probably needs to go back to Phase for repair. Sorry.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Sounds like a defective battery - it doesn't retain its charge data.

Edit: multiple batteries... then it's the charger not writing info to the battery correctly, or the camera failing to read it.

P

Paul Hill

People have missed a key point.

The back powers up using any of the three batteries. All of the menu functions work. However, the battery icon in the lower center of the screen on the starting menu always blinks and contains no bars. Whenever the back is fired for a capture, the back displays battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

If the back is turned on when the back is not mounted on the camera, the battery icon still is empty and flashes.

The camera is a Hasselblad 503. The only electrical contact between the back and camera is via the sync cord. Three different sync cords have been tried. Two of the sync cords are known to work with a Phase One H20.

The back functions correctly when used in tethered mode.

If the backlight is set to always on, and the camera is left on for an hour, doing nothing, the battery will show drainage. I drained one of the batteries from 100% to 30% by doing this. I then recharged the battery to 100% and put it into the back. There was no change in behavior.

P

Paul Hill

Note: when the back is not in tethered mode, the only power option is "autodetect". The only time the operator has a chance to force the battery to be used is when the camera is tethered via firewire.

I have a powered firewire connection, not a 4 pin to 6 pin connection. Therefore according to Phase One documentation I should NOT attempt to force the back to use the battery, nor have I done so.

M

marcmccalmont

I would try a Qtip with deoxit on the digital back battery contacts
Marc

Digitalcameraman

Any of you ever experience this:

I shipped my Phase One P25 back along with batteries and charger from west coast to east coast. The receiver on east coast just tried to use the back on his hassy V series, but is having issues.

He can use it fine in tethered mode, but when he puts a battery in, the battery icon on camera blinks. When he takes a picture, he gets an error message saying "battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

He had them charging for more than three hours. One battery on charger says 75%, the other says 100%, but he still gets this problem.

Could the batteries somehow have gotten depleted during shipment? (went air, sent in that pelican case....

Any insight appreciated.
RObert

First off, the P25 back does not have an option for telling the camera to use auto detect, battery. This was a problem with this back when used with laptops and Apple started regulating the power on the firewire bus. Best option for this is the Capture Integration firewire cable adapter that fools the camera from getting the power and forces it to use the battery instead. The Plus series backs and the P30 and P45, and P21 all had this featured but not the P25.

There was also a firmware update that fixed a bug when you would insert a fully charged battery, the battery indicator would blink like it was empty and
needed to be charged. This was an issue I ran into with many customers.

So if it shoots tethered, then the backs works fine. Never seen one do that and not work with battery on board unless the battery is dead or shorted as Jack mentioned. It is one of these 2 things. Have him check the version of firmware by going to about in P1 back menu and see what the latest back firmware version you can download and see if that fixes the use of the battery on this back.

Chris Snipes
Phase One Reseller Florida
Image Productions, Inc
150 22nd Street South
St Petersburg, FL 33712

727-823-8909 Studio
813-335-2473 Cell

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Clawery

Robert,

Sorry that I was not able to troubleshoot your issue, but hopefully Doug Peterson will be able to assist you. I know that you after we spoke yesterday that he was going to contact you and help you with you issue.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RSS Feed: Subscribe[/f