The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AF 55-110mm f/4.5 lens

Henry Goh

Is there anyone who has used this lens with P30+ or P45+ backs? How is performance, sharpness? I asked this question before and had a few replies but I'm still wondering if it is worth effort to find a good copy?

Last edited:

kdphotography

Hi Henry,

I've used the Mamiya 55-110 with the P30, P45+, and P65+ (and film!). It never was a "favored" lens to me, but did find itself used quite a bit (more than I wanted) for portraits and events. It does fill a nice focal range when mated with the Mamiya 105-210. Not a lens I would use for landscape, though I believe Jack has with success. I don't think that it is difficult to find a "good copy."

The 75-150 D is much better and is on my camera body most of the time. That being said, I still won't part with the 55-110---it's a nice lens with a convenient focal range, though maybe not a stellar performer. I think it is worth having. You'll get better performance from primes, but having a zoom lens is nice. Now if Mamiya/Phase could finally release a D series in this range......no more talk about the 45-90?

ken

Henry Goh

Thanks Ken,

From what I have read somewhere (can't recall where) the 45-90mm project was scrapped.
I'm revisiting the zoom because sometimes, I'm just too lazy to carry several lenses and was hoping that I can find more reassuring experiences before going out to find a good copy.

kdphotography

Thanks Ken,

From what I have read somewhere (can't recall where) the 45-90mm project was scrapped.
I'm revisiting the zoom because sometimes, I'm just too lazy to carry several lenses and was hoping that I can find more reassuring experiences before going out to find a good copy.
I heard the 45-90 was scrapped too (put on hold indefinitely...um, ok) I was poking fun at Mamiya/Phase.... C'mon, how about at least a re-worked (read: new, not re-badged) 55-110mm ala "D series" ? :)

If the 75-150 is not "too long" for you----that's the "one-lens" solution to get.... A bit more money, but you'll be hard-pressed to find any complaints on lens performance. The way I put it: You might be happy with the 55-110. You will be happy with the 75-150. :)

Henry Goh

Ken,

I'm pretty sure the 75-150mm D is great. I already have the 150mm "D" lens and the 80mm "D" lens so not in a hurry to get that focal length. I want something in the wide to normal range. I also have the 45mm "D" wide and will be getting the 28mm "D" soon.

Don Libby

I've got fond memories of the 75-150. If I wasn't using the 28 I had the 75-150 on. Of course this is all before I went the technical route. I second Ken's comment that you'd be very happy with the 75-150. I've used this on both a P30+ as well as a P45+

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much agree with what's been said, but here's my .02 summary on it...

I obtained a good copy of the 55-105 before the 75-150 and like it a lot, so much my 55 prime became superfluous and I sold it, and my 80 prime pretty much stays in the cabinet. Combined with the 105-210, also very good, and a decent copy of the 35 AF lens, I had an incredible range covered in three lenses. The 55-110 was the lens left on my camera most of the time.

Fast-forward to getting Don's 75-150 a few months back when he went tech. As good as the 55-110 is, the 75-150 was a half-notch better and became my main squeeze, plus I added a 50 manual focus shift lens (also excellent) and a 28. So I still own the 55-110, but it has become kind of superfluous with the 50 shift and 75-150 covering that end very well, and even though it is a good lens, I haven't used it since adding the 50 shift to the 75-150. In fact, I have decided to remove it from the bag since I essentially never use it any more. And with the 28, I rarely mount the 35, so you'll probably see both of those lenses hit the B&S forum soon.

There is one important "howeverbutt," and the reason I have not been in a hurry to sell either the 55-110 or the 35 --- they are both relatively compact compared to other options. The 55-110 is nearly half the size and weight of the 75-150; the 35 is 1/3rd the size and weight of the 28. So I've kept both in case I wanted a really light travel or carry kit; I could do very well with just the 35, 55-110 and maybe my 150 prime. The hard reality for me however, is that I'll generally grab a favored lens over a lighter lens, so for my trim set I would probably still grab the 28, 50 shift and 75-150...

Yeah, now that I've thought it through in writing this response, I think it's time to sell. Keep an eye on the B&S for the 35 and 55-110, or if you've decided to get a 55-110 and want a confirmed good copy, send me a PM...

Cheers,

etrump

Henry,

For the $1000 or so you could get a 55-110mm for I would jump on it, especially if you can find a good copy. (Most are good in my opinion with only a few reports of bad ones).

If you are using the P30+ I don't think you would notice a difference in sharpness between this lens and the 75-150mm.

One thing about the 35mm is that there is almost no distortion which makes is really good for stitching. The corners are a bit soft but with the P65 I try to compose allowing for a slight crop or use C1 corner sharpening which is perfectly acceptable for most of my images. The 28mm is soft in the corners as well.

Just a rant, but I think the 35, 55-110, 105-210 give really good zoom coverage for landscapes. I would love to see those upgraded or at least get us the 45-90mm.

Henry Goh

Ed,

I bought Jack's 55-110mm lens and hope to shoot with it early next week when it gets gets here. I think you are right about shooting with a cropped back like P30+ and not suffering from corner sharpness as much.

kdphotography

The slight crop of the P30+ is also why you won't suffer corner softness on the 28mm either...

Congrats on the new lens!