The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Basic Prime Line-up (mamiya)

S

Shelby Lewis

Well, looks like funding with the small clothing company i work for is finally coming through... so MF seems to be in the near future.

So... on full frame 35mm I love to shoot at 35mm (sometimes 50mm and 85mm), and especially 135mm.

I'm looking at the p30+ on an Phamiya body and was wondering what people thought of the AF 210/4 ULD. It's priced nicely and is right around the focal length I like to shoot headshots (and some full length fashion if the "compression" effect is sought).

Like most, I'll get the 80mm, and maybe something wider.

Budget is a concern, as always, but I'd be interested in thoughts on good (affordable?) longer lenses, and maybe one wider prime. No zooms please :D (at least at this time)

Thanks!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The 210/4 is an unsung hero - sharp, compact and a great lens. I love mine and carry it especially when I don't want the weight of the 300 Apo. The 210 is sharp at full aperture.
Good luck!
Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 210/4 ULD is a great lens. Surprisingly though, a good copy of the 105-210 is nearly as good at about the same price if you like the idea of a zoom.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Ken,

Yes Shelby, IF you want a wide I have an outstanding copy of the 35AF listed in the B&S right now. Note that on the P30+ or P40+, all the extreme corner issues are cropped out and so moot, so this lens will be as good as any on the smaller sensor! On the P30/40 crop sensor, this lens is equivalent to a 28 focal length.

FWIW, your 80 will be roughly a 63, the 150 a 120 and the 210 a 165...

One thing to keep in mind is that the aspect ratio of the MF format being 4:3 as opposed to 35 being 3:2 -- I have found that I tend to prefer a little wider equivalent focals with MF than I do with 35 because of this. Of course YMMV...

Cheers,

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks a lot for the advice... and thanks Jack for the focal length conversions. I was doing a little "guesstimation" and was pretty close, but not quite there. I do think I'm going to shoot for the 80, 210, 35, and maybe the 150 to start with. Given what I do, at a minimum I'll be rollin' with the 80 and 210 at first.

Ken... I have no punches left to take! (wanna send me some more capital?)

Jack... good thoughts on the zoom. It is tempting. I've been a prime shooter for so long, though, that I can't ever get a feel for the perspective a lens is going to give me when using a zoom. I just "feel" how a 50 (or 85, or 200, or 35, or whatever) will cover the scene before me, and I just can't get that with a zoom (personally).

Ah... but zooms would save me a ton of exercising by not having to zoom with my feet, lol. ;)

Ebe

For headshots and people I use a 150 more than the 210
My vote for 3 lens, shooting people would be (55,80,150)
My 2C

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
With the P30+ I use 28,45, 80, 150 all D lenses and than a 300mm AF 4.5. The 150 is the portrait lens but a 210 I would most likely like better . For the compression and i don't like to be on top of someone. Less intimating. The 150 also is just a little too sharp for portraits. Those words usually never come out of my mouth and that is too sharp.

I would actually like to move up to the P40+ just because I am a pig. LOL

Dale Allyn

Shelby,

I have the 35, 45, 55, 80, 120 macro D, 150, and 210 ULD. Purchasing used, an 80, 150 and 210 will be surprisingly affordable, and a great kit for portraits. The 55 is also a good lens and quite reasonable. The 35 tends to go for a bit more than the preceding four, and is a bit challenged in the corners, but on a P30+ that would be minimized. I find it quite serviceable even on the 1.1 crop sensor, but my uses for the 35 typically don't include wide aperture. I often shoot the other 80+mm lenses wide open.

I'd put your money towards the back that best suits your needs and buy a set of used pre-D lenses (if budget is a factor). Then swap out for the new gen. D's as budget allows. And you could mix in a manual Hassey or two as well (with adapter – thinking of the 110 f/2).

Clawery

Shelby,

Please take a look and utilize our Capture Integation Focal Length Calculator. It will help guide you to what prime lenses you may want. It's a handy little tool.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RSS Feed: Subscribe[/font]

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,

Please take a look and utilize our Capture Integation Focal Length Calculator. It will help guide you to what prime lenses you may want. It's a handy little tool.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)

Dale already beat you to it :D

Very handy, indeed. Confirmed my expectations that the 210, 150, 80 and 35 are going to be go-to lenses for my purposes. Probably starting with the 80 and 210.