The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus Beta for the Mac

PeterA

What a shame they didn't continue supporting the DMR...oh well... I do have Flexclour 4.8.8

fotografz

Peter, remember this is the first beta version. They asked for comments ... so this DMR/DNG should be one of them ... NO?

In the meantime, I'd make multiple copies of Version 4.8.4

fotografz

Peter ... an interesting new fact:

The Hasselblad files are now recognized by Aperture, iPhoto, and Mac Preview.

I just uploaded some Hasselblad H3D-II/39 files to iPhoto and they showed up. You can then sort them and batch process to jpgs or tiffs.

Hopefully, Adobe will take the hint and support 3Fs in Lightroom and CS3/ACR.

Flexcolor and Phocus are still the weapons of choice ... however, for mass shooting like Weddings, It's be nice to drop the Hasselbald shots into a follder with all my other different camera formats and sort by time shot ... without having to convert the 3Fs to DNG first. I hate having to save both 3Fs and DNGs of the same shots.

PeterA

Marc - I was ready to switch to Sinar - because of the multiple adaptor differentiation...and then I checked out their 'software' - which needs a third party plug in just to make DNG's ..I mean talk about high tech constrained by low tech software workflow...someone needs a size 12 boot up bum.

Adobe will end up being the default standard for all files over time...how many software developers for raw processing do we really need?

I am thinking of my MFDB as 'film' - I want to be able to use this 'film' on any camera/lens platform( s) I like. If Sinar can get their software rihght...they will be the most serious challenger to Hasselblad IMHO.

Teh other manufcaturers should think seriously about the superiror cross platform functionality of Sinar. I knwo Leaf's basic back design DOESNT allow for mutlipel adaptor plates...

The whole premise of this is that people only use one platform - Sinar allows you to use whatever platform(s) you like - and charge a nice fat premium per adaptor plate to 'allow' you to do it. (of course) :)

Sometimes I think we were all better off using film. My ideal camera woudl have a film capture capability AND a digi caprurte ability which you coudl use at full res or use as polaroids use to be used...impossible I know...but we can all dream..

i have no doubt that years from now high end digi video capture will possibly cream dedicated stills systems - possibly MANY years from now the costs today are way too high ...LOL

the only thing stopping me from switching to blad right now is I dont have a long term working relationship with supplier her ein Australia - maybe I shoudl use a recommended dealer in the US?? what do you think Marc?

Pete

PeterA

BJNY - that thread perfectly captures the frustration of existing users..doesnt it? Looking forward to seeing teh software - thanks for the link.

BJNY

I think Jekoptik/Sinar/F&H are just hitting their stride, almost two years after the announcements at Photokina '06. After all, launching a new camera platform isn't "easy", just as Hasselblad experienced with their H1. Not every one of their current HC lenses were available until years later, and now Phocus is finally out as well. So, if you ask me, each company has its pluses and minuses. I'll be making my decision(s) in the next few months.

Last edited:

PeterA

David - congratulations on yoru new purchase - looking forward to your users experience - as you know I am shooting Leaf 75 and very interested in Sinar vs Hasselblad.

Pete

BJNY

What actually did you order, David?
I've been using the e75lv on a regular basis for the past nine months if that's what's arriving, and if you have any questions.
Billy

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Marc,

I downloaded the new version. When I attempted to load the supplied Hassy RGB ICC file to Library/Colorsync/Profiles I received a warning that the extant profile was newer than the one supplied with the new .13 software. I left the one that was there previously ... from Flexcolor 4.8.4 I presume.

The readme file doesn't mention any changes to the profile....maybe a correction of the mild magenta cast present in some of my landscape files.
I have not had time to compare the files by switching out the profiles and have not done a detailed look at the profiles to see if they are the same yet.

Any ideas?

Bob Moore

fotografz

Marc,

I downloaded the new version. When I attempted to load the supplied Hassy RGB ICC file to Library/Colorsync/Profiles I received a warning that the extant profile was newer than the one supplied with the new .13 software. I left the one that was there previously ... from Flexcolor 4.8.4 I presume.

The readme file doesn't mention any changes to the profile....maybe a correction of the mild magenta cast present in some of my landscape files.
I have not had time to compare the files by switching out the profiles and have not done a detailed look at the profiles to see if they are the same yet.

Any ideas?

Bob Moore
Hi Bob.

I think the ICC profiles were provided for those who don't have Flexcolor 4.8.4 on their machine. If you have Flex 4.8.4 on your machine, I think you just drag Phocus App. Icon to your Mac Applications folder ... then drag that to your Dock if you want it copied there like I do.

fotografz

Sometimes I think we were all better off using film. My ideal camera woudl have a film capture capability AND a digi caprurte ability which you coudl use at full res or use as polaroids use to be used...impossible I know...but we can all dream..

the only thing stopping me from switching to blad right now is I dont have a long term working relationship with supplier her ein Australia - maybe I shoudl use a recommended dealer in the US?? what do you think Marc?

Pete
Peter, you already have a H camera right? If it's an H1, H2 or H3, it'll take a film back. Only the H3-II doesn't. If you want a new digital back why not a CF and use the iAdapters?

Some of the dealers that frequent this forum seem pretty with it. You'd have to deal with the time difference in terms of communication. I have a very good Hasselblad dealer here in Michigan also.

robsteve

Subscriber
I just got a Mac and Phocus will read DMR files like Flexcolor did. You first have to import them using Flexcolor, but after that, Phocus sees their 3f import versions and will work with them.

Robert

PeterA

Marc - I think I will make contact with your dealer in Michigan if you are happy to introduce me. Otherwise I don't know any 'Blad dealer who frequents this forum?

Robert that is great to know thanks for that.

Pete

D

DougDolde

Phocus runs OK (albeit a bit slow) on my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro 2.2 ghz with 4gb ram. Still downloading the sample files.

It's probably there but I don't see a hand tool for panning. Anyone found it?

The 4 arrow keys will move the zoomed in image...pretty slow on this computer though. Also the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys work. Command + and - will also zoom just like in PS CS3. But no hand tool that I can see.

Last edited: