The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D with new "True Focus/Absolute Position Lock" feature

fotografz

I agree with you regarding the form factor and the lenses (which are incomplete for now), that's why I was interested and there's always the allure of the red dot. But this is still MF, the rules of engagement are very different to a forgiving and flexible 35mm dslr. Even forgetting about the AF technology for now, a 50mp system at the price of a P25+ of a year ago, well...

I don't know about you Marc but I'm already taking quite a beating on my Leaf backs and I'm sure that others are too. There's no way I'm going to consider a 30+ mp camera system today with no future upgradability, limited lenses and no track record in this market when a 50mp or even a 60mp system can be had for the same PRICE from an already established brand with a very complete line up of high quality lenses, dedicated software, easy access, flexibility for future upgrades and usage on different types of tech and large format cameras just for form factor and a red dot.
Well, since I already have a full compliment of HC lenses and the ability to use every CF, CFi and CFE Zeiss lens (including a 40mm CFE IF) on a FF 60 meg H camera without stop down anything ... and my Rollei Xact-II is set up for H mount use ... it's looking VERY attractive.

I believe the H3D 50 meg back (and maybe the 60 meg back) already was faster than the 39. The only other news recently was the shipping of the 50 meg Multi-shot ... which got my attention until this news broke. I like working spontaneously and quickly on location, and the AF innovation is a BIG one IMO. Hassey usually has had other little unheralded improvements in handling and function with each new model, but tends to concentrate on marketing the bigger news item. We'll see.

Can't wait to see what they have done with Phocus.

-Marc

Stuart Richardson

This does sound like a very nice feature. I have used focus and recompose on basically every camera I have ever used -- from manual focus SLR's and rangefinders to autofocus medium format and even the D3 -- the reason is because I want to tell the camera exactly what I am interested in focusing on, but I do not want to mess about choosing a focus point. If this can take that identification of the focus point and then accurately remap the focus for the given recomposition, I think that is a really nice feature. It makes sense that they focused on it too -- as resolution increases, those minor focus discrepancies start to show up more clearly in the final photo.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hm...

great nice feature and I do not doubt a second that it will work properly!

Actually I was kind of waiting for something like that from Hassi after the intro of the S2. They were not only up to kill the S System with pricing, but also with some great new technologies. And 50 or 60MP combined with that nice new AF and the new features in Phocus becomes a real show stopper for the Leica, especially if one considers the pricing and the upgradability of the system and the matureness of the whole existing Hasselblad stuff.

One thing which somehow stops me from jumping again on the Hasselblad favoring train is that I am still waiting for the new Phase camera to come and for their new LS lenses. And that the size of the Hassi is of course much more than the size of the S2.

But finally for landscape work (which I am mainly doing) I think that a H4D with 40MP back and 3 0r 4 lenses and an HTS1.5 should be the winning solution. And also one could use the back on a tech camera too - if you need this after owning the HTS ;)

fotografz

Hm...

great nice feature and I do not doubt a second that it will work properly!

Actually I was kind of waiting for something like that from Hassi after the intro of the S2. They were not only up to kill the S System with pricing, but also with some great new technologies. And 50 or 60MP combined with that nice new AF and the new features in Phocus becomes a real show stopper for the Leica, especially if one considers the pricing and the upgradability of the system and the matureness of the whole existing Hasselblad stuff.

One thing which somehow stops me from jumping again on the Hasselblad favoring train is that I am still waiting for the new Phase camera to come and for their new LS lenses. And that the size of the Hassi is of course much more than the size of the S2.

But finally for landscape work (which I am mainly doing) I think that a H4D with 40MP back and 3 0r 4 lenses and an HTS1.5 should be the winning solution. And also one could use the back on a tech camera too - if you need this after owning the HTS ;)
HTS/1.5 looks great and will solve a whole bunch of problems ... but it doesn't replace a view camera or tech field camera with a super wide digital spec optic. I think 42mm field-of-view is as wide as it gets with the HTS/1.5. So, I'll be keeping the Rollei Xact-2 for the time being.

BTW, the H4 comes in 50 or 60 meg ... not 40.

LOL! You can tell this is a Mamiya/Phase centric forum ... this is huge news on the Medium Format front and it's hardly discussed. Hassey needs to send a rep and gear to one of Guy and Jack's outings :)

Man, I am scrambling to purge the gear closet to prep for this. I need for the difference between these big DSLRs and my MFD system to be obvious even to the uninitiated ... like art directors who tend to shove around the files like you can't believe. Talk about pixel peeping, geeze-o-peaso :ROTFL:

-Marc

PeterA

I think you are going to be a Lone Ranger with no Silver and no Tonto as far as Hasselblad goes on this forum Marc - enjoy!:D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL! You can tell this is a Mamiya/Phase centric forum ... this is huge news on the Medium Format front and it's hardly discussed. Hassey needs to send a rep and gear to one of Guy and Jack's outings

I agree but we have never heard a word from them on stuff like this. I actually like the H3 setup. Not sure though what to think of the H4 with this new technology. Seriously I would have to try it to see how well it works. The idea is interesting

Guy Mancuso

I think you are going to be a Lone Ranger with no Silver and no Tonto as far as Hasselblad goes on this forum Marc - enjoy!:D
Hassy is as welcome as any other OEM to be here. There owners are just not here to participate. Would love for them to be here.

fotografz

:ROTFL:

Yep Peter, I think you are right. I always go my own way, so nothing new there.

One good thing is that I can start a thread when I get the H4D/60 and post alone.

I suppose it'd be useless to post my H3D-II/39 in the F/S section. :deadhorse:

-Marc :)

LJL

Go for it, Marc. There are still some of us that do follow Hasselblad and would enjoy the comments and thoughts on the new kit, regardless of how many Phase Pholks may not bother reading.

As for selling the H3DII-39....you may still want to wait to see just how "encouraging" Hassy may be to you to get the H4D-60. You will probably get more from outright sale, but then again.....

Other thought is what will Hassy do for an "entry level" kit? Is the H4D-50 going to become the entry point, or does anybody know if they will pop something else into the mix? Seems like the MP creep is still active, and to keep some separation from everybody else, 50MP may become their entry level. Yikes!

LJ

LJL

Guy, I would hope they do. There is a lot that Hasselblad has to offer that does seem to get overlooked or swamped at times. I know it is hard to display some of the features and improvements, but the HTS device is a great example of how a Hassy thing does create an interesting alternative for some.

There just seem to be a lot fewer Hassy posters here and on some other forums. Wonder if that is because they are less involved in forum chatter and are just shooting and enjoying, or what? For all the Hasselblads that are out there, one would sort of expect a bit more engagement. The few folks here that do post, offer up some great stuff and interesting perspectives....just seems like it is a much smaller component compared to Phase stuff. Same holds true on Luminous Landscape. They seem to be pretty involved with their customers, seeming to be responding to needs and requests for the most part. They do get behind on some things, like live video, but they do seem to be addressing that......somewhat faster than say Phase getting leaf shutter lenses out, or revamping their AFD bodies. Not looking to make this an issue or comparison. Just wishing there was more Hasselblad discussion, as they still make some very nice kit.

While this new accelerometer for AF remains to be proven, it just underscores how Hassy is trying to advance some technologies. The HTS is another device.

To me what seems the most interesting is just how each OEM (Leica, Hassy, Phase) have worked, or are trying to work the MF market with their products. Hassy still has the most complete looking system of stuff, from what I can tell, and that is pretty enticing from many perspectives.

So, looking forward to more and more Hasselblad discussions if anybody cares.

LJ

anGy

As for selling the H3DII-39....you may still want to wait to see just how "encouraging" Hassy may be to you to get the H4D-60. You will probably get more from outright sale, but then again.....LJ

Hum hum, as a 22mpix Hassy user, I think the time will eventually come to upgrade to 39mp. There will be some H3DII-39 systems searching for new owners soon. Hassy upgrade are nice but still a bit bitter for those that payed the full price some years ago.
Hope the 2nd hand market will work to satisfy guys like me and happy upgrader :)

PeterA

Party is over as far as this poor boy goes - my eyes cant see any difference between a P65+ and a P45+ or a 39 megapixel blad or a 33 megapixel Sinar - call me a party pooper see if I care :talk028:

Wish list will soon be finished as far as gear purchase goes - an M9 with a matched Noctilux an artec and two rodenstocks the 23mm and a nice 90mm..:thumbup:

As for digital backs sorry - Mr Hasselblad and Mr Phase One :deadhorse:- I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze -:) Which is exactly what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks ....

feels good to be bad again -:):ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

That sounds like fun to us old fart married guys but obviously won't fly on this boat here. LOL

Guess i have to stick to metal and glass. I better stop here I can really get myself in trouble.

fotografz

Party is over as far as this poor boy goes - my eyes cant see any difference between a P65+ and a P45+ or a 39 megapixel blad or a 33 megapixel Sinar - call me a party pooper see if I care :talk028:

Wish list will soon be finished as far as gear purchase goes - an M9 with a matched Noctilux an artec and two rodenstocks the 23mm and a nice 90mm..:thumbup:

As for digital backs sorry - Mr Hasselblad and Mr Phase One :deadhorse:- I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze -:) Which is exactly what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks ....

feels good to be bad again -:):ROTFL::ROTFL:
Hmmm, now that you mention it Peter .... there are a lot of alternatives to use that money on. Like places to actually go take photos :rolleyes:

Which Nocti did you get Peter ... f/0.95? I'm going to try the f/1 version on the M9 this week.

-Marc

LJL

......somewhat faster than say Phase getting leaf shutter lenses out, or revamping their AFD bodies.
Guess Phase was knowing folks like me would bring this up, so they just today announced the new body and three leaf shutter lenses. Good to see them finally getting those out.

LJ

Nick-T

Not sure though what to think of the H4 with this new technology. Seriously I would have to try it to see how well it works. The idea is interesting
It works!
I shot with it yesterday, 50MP with an 80mm @2.8 using focus -recompose which I do alot. The difference was remarkable.

Nick-T

T

tetsrfun

I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze
Stick with camera gear and booze....the women and fast cars are a bottomless money pit.

Steve

BlasR

:ROTFL:

Yep Peter, I think you are right. I always go my own way, so nothing new there.

One good thing is that I can start a thread when I get the H4D/60 and post alone.

I suppose it'd be useless to post my H3D-II/39 in the F/S section. :deadhorse:

-Marc :)
Don't worry, I'm one of those the have h3-50 soon h4-60.
The only problem is the I came here every week, so hold everything for a week, if you can, and I will be next to you.:lecture:

BlasR

PeterA

Thats good - you guys can show me why I 'have to have one' -:)

Marc - I want the Old Nocti for the 'look' - on full frame I think it will sing - and unlike the film days - I will know when I have missed the wide open shot -:)

Both arriving later this week *fingers crossed. (M9 in steel colour)