The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perspective correction in post (yet ANOTHER mf thread)

S

Shelby Lewis

Ok.... hopefully one last thread. Can you tell I'm taking this MF back purchase seriously :D

I've pretty much established that the p30/+ is probably the best back for my professional goals/purposes... but one last question.

Do any of you guys shoot architecture and then correct perspective in post? I'm an architect as well and might, from time to time, do a little bit of architectural work. Mostly for personal stuff. I know the p30 backs are not a good choice for use on a tech camera due to the microlenses. I also, from past experience, know it can be difficult to pre-visualize perspective correction to be done in post.

Still I think in the future that a technical camera with those amazing lenses (unshifted) might offset some sharpness loss due to interpolation... later I'd upgrade to the p40+ or similar to take advantage of the shifts.

Which software have you all found to correct perspective with the least loss of detail due to interpolation? I'm thinking panotools.

Jim roof, in atlanta, does some great architectural work (if not a little "render-ly") and speaking with him he has used 1dsIII's and photoshop to great effect... I'm assuming MF would be even better.

Thanks for the patience with all these inquiries.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have not actually tried post-corrections with a P30+ file, so keep that in mind re my response, but I have done it with my P45+ files to excellent result. In fact, I've also done it with my Canon files to good result too, but the 5D started to look digital pretty quickly if pushed too far. I think the real issue here is having enough pixels to begin with so that when pushed around enough to correct the distortions, they don't show it -- my guess is your P30+ will be fine.

archivue

I've pretty much established that the p30/+ is probably the best back for my professional goals/purposes... + I'm an architect as well...

the P30+ is one of the worst back when it comes to lenses movements, so if you go that way, don't buy a technical camera for it, because of microlenses, it's a nightmare !

post perspective correction works... sometimes only... you can't rely on that only !
so if you plan to shoot architecture with perspectie "correction" you should consider a P45/P45+ or P25 instead !

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ok.... hopefully one last thread. Can you tell I'm taking this MF back purchase seriously

You SHOULD and i wish more people took these large purchases more seriously. It kills me when I get Guy I made a mistake what do you think I should do e-mails and PM's. You just don't know how bad i feel when they come in.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have shot interiors with the P30 but not with any technical camera. The real answer is getting the camera level and moving it up in height to match the view you want so you don't have to fix things. I have had the camera 8 ft in the air just to get it. I mean it would be real nice to be able to shift but if you can't than you have to find ways around it and it is not always the same as in look as shifting from 5 ft instead. If i did this more often than I would change my back out. One downfall of the P30+ but it is the same downfall of a S2 or a Nikon or canon without a shift lens.

D

ddk

Ok.... hopefully one last thread. Can you tell I'm taking this MF back purchase seriously

You SHOULD and i wish more people took these large purchases more seriously. It kills me when I get Guy I made a mistake what do you think I should do e-mails and PM's. You just don't know how bad i feel when they come in.
And some of us SHOULD make the mistakes for others to learn from! (speaking from experience of course :D)

S

Shelby Lewis

the P30+ is one of the worst back when it comes to lenses movements, so if you go that way, don't buy a technical camera for it, because of microlenses, it's a nightmare !
not sure i was clear... I'm a fashion/people shooter who might, on occasion, shoot some architecture. It's not payin' the bills though. I totally understand how the p30 is NOT for use on a technical camera... my request was just to see if anyone had been able to shoot a bit wider than needed and then correct perspective in post, while keeping the majority of the mf "look" intact.

In a perfect world, the p40+ would be my baby... but it ain't a perfect world:D

Thanks all...

thomas

my request was just to see if anyone had been able to shoot a bit wider than needed and then correct perspective in post, while keeping the majority of the mf "look" intact.
of course that's possible; it just depends on the ammount of correction. IMO the delicate part (however an indispensable one) is the correction of distortion.
Depends on good tools...

PeterA

Photoshop is a wonderful thing - but I dont think it can beat a true technical camera set-up for delviering true vverticals and horisontals in wide panoramic views..