The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tease of the year?

tashley

Subscriber Member
About the Leaf shutter

Naturally one would hope that the MUP behaviour of the body would be:

Press One > MUP, FP shutter opens, Leaf shutter closes.
Press Two > Leaf shutter opens for exposure, closes, then FP closes and mirror comes down. Or even, possibly, FP shutter stays open and mirror stays up until shutter is released, sort of like the M8.2 or M9.

At the moment my guess from using the setup and listening to it is that the FP shutter doesn't open until Press Two. But this is pre-release FW and it is undoubtedly Phase's intention to fix this before sales begin.

Just my opinion here, it's kinda hard to tell - but I am seeing no difference, at any shutter speed, in shake between using the new lens in MUP or non-MUP mode. Nor is there a real difference in sound.

T

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually I like the bite of the Old lens myself. Has more punch but that is my taste. The bokeh seems to me subject to distance and subject. Maybe like the new one a little better there. Bottom line you lose nothing either way and the leaf shutter is more valuable for some.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One thing to keep in mind is that the 80mm f/2.8 lens is not really the place to look for huge differences. These designs are old and relatively standard, with minor tweaks. The only one with a significantly different design is the Leica 70mm f/2.5, as far as I know.

I will be much more curious to compare the 55mm to the Contax, and the 110mm to the Zeiss and HC Hasselblad 100mm lenses, and the F/FE and Rollei 110mm.
You can be VERY sure that the Schneider lenses will be at least as good as their competitors!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was on a workshop a long time ago and a participant shooting with a view camera exclaimed, "I don't know why I can never get my focus just right!" Another student replied, "Are you sure your lens is good?" The first replied, "It has to be, it's a Schneider!"

At the end of the day his lens was a bad copy, Schneider or not. I have seen Leica lenses that were not good. I own some OUTSTANDING Mamiya lenses and I have seen Mamiya lenses that were maybe only useful as a paperweight. Some of the best LF lenses I ever owned were Schneiders, and some of the Schneider LF lenses I tested while building that kit were absolutely terrible.

Bottom line is ALL lenses will show some degree of manufacturing variability unit to unit, and so you need to test each one individually before you claim you have a good one or a bad one, regardless of brand and regardless if it was bought new or used. In fact, I actually PREFER purchasing a USED lens from someone I know who claims it is a good copy.

Cheers,

carstenw

Not only that, but not all the Schneider designs are that great in the first place. The newest digital ones are meant to be very good though, and I don't know if there are any duds in their current lineup.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Not only that, but not all the Schneider designs are that great in the first place. The newest digital ones are meant to be very good though, and I don't know if there are any duds in their current lineup.
I have the 35XL digitar and it's really sharp but then given that it's widest aperture is F5.6 it sort of should be. However, it has rather more field distortion that I would expect. Apparently it's about a good as it gets for the focal length on MF but I expected it to be a little better. I'm fussy though, as we all know!
:ROTFL: